PDA

View Full Version : 450-480 pound mulie, 174'

BigfishCanada
11-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Guys, the base is almost 7 inchs in diameter, You may have read my story on another site but hear it goes here.

On tuesday Nov 1, my bro and I arrived to a fresh dusting of snow at our spot. We did a brief hunt but being more excited of being out doors we decided to go back and drink beer and await for the rest of the groupd to arrive. I had mentioned in th past that there were 6 in our group all having ATV's so I decided to sit in a stand and wait for something to cross for the full 4 days.

The Very next day my buddy was going up the hill and running out in front of him was that big COW moose we were looking for. Its too bad he missed that, he just wasnt expecting it so quickly or early in the hunt.

While the guys were focusing on getting the COW draw they had, I wanted to focus on trying and getting a doe, We also had 2 doe tags. Wed, Thursday, then Friday morning sitting in the bush waiting for something to cross the deer trail that I had found really tested my patience. I was CONFIDENT that if I kept waiting that something would come down that trail. Even my buddies started saying that I probably wont get anything there but deep down I felt I would,

The last day I decided to go out and try that spot one last time. Not 10 minutes after I got in my spot, I herd something very large up the mountain crashing threw the trees. I knew this was going to be my chance, As the sound was getting closer, there it was crashing threw the freshly snow covered bush's at 150 yards. Everything that I have red and learned was going threw my mind. I watched what I felt was the largest 4point I have ever seen in my entire life heading exactly where I thought it would, right towards me. It was running full out, and I patiently waited for the perfect chance, and as it turned 35 yards dead in front of my spot, I whistled............, and there stoped a 450 pound + what I call trophy deer right in front of me, saftey off and 1 shot it was down.

It was the most amazing feeling of my fishing hunting years, and ill never forget it.

It took 5 guys struggling to get it in the back of my truck, Weymouth meats said by far its the heaviest deer he has seen in a long time and estimated that is was 480 pounds.

PGKris
11-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Wow. Monster buck. What's the spread on that sucker!?

BigfishCanada
11-16-2005, 04:41 PM
how do you calculate that, furthest tip to top or the first two tines?

PGKris
11-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Well I measure from inside to inside but most guys measure outside to outside. Whichever is wider? I'm not sure exactly. Looks to be about 25-26"

BigfishCanada
11-16-2005, 04:49 PM
its just over 27" then

PGKris
11-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Wowee. Monster!

Gus
11-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Nice friggen buck!

MattB
11-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Nice buck for sure...Gotta love the mass on that rack! Honestly though....a 400+lb deer is bigger than an immature bull moose and theres no way that that deer is bigger than a moose.....good sized body though ;)

BigfishCanada
11-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Matt, Larry from weymouth had it on the scale, Larry said 480 easy. Yes four hundred eighty pounds. Dressed, cut up, hangin on the scale was 245 pounds ( Double that standing ) If I wasnt there, and got em, and had 5 hunting wintness's and Weymouth meats scale, I wouldnt believe it myself.

:mrgreen:

Freshtracks
11-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Yep ... according to (inside spread) you could have a 174 buck, not bigger though. Better pics would allow for more precise scoring and I was using your 7" circ on the bases which is huge for a mulie. :arrow: As for being 400+ ... I gotta agree with MattB on this one. I've seen a 300lb buck and you're just doesn't look any more special. :roll:

Great buck though ... his wide rack will make a great spot to display a vintage 30.30. :D

BigfishCanada
11-16-2005, 05:59 PM
I appreciate that, and wouldnt believe either. Why would I lie with giving you the butchers name. Its %100 true. 450-480 with Larry (weymouth meats )saying 480 easy.

17sang
11-16-2005, 06:04 PM
guys i was in a few days after it was dropped off larry has to show it off to all who come in he said that this monster is between 450 to 480 lbs.

Tarp Man
11-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Well, I guess you know how much meat to get back, eh!
Congrats, that is a freezer full with plenty of headgear for braggin'
-Tarp Man

BlacktailStalker
11-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Who cares. Nice buck!

mark
11-16-2005, 07:22 PM
totally awesome buck dude, no doubt. If it really weighed 245 hanging at the meat locker thats amazing. (did you trim the fat off) my butcher said 200 is the biggest hes seen in 15 years. Has your rack been scored properly, maybe the pic doesnt do it justice but it doesnt look like a 174 to me. still a beauty man fore sure

PGKris
11-16-2005, 07:40 PM
What baby moose are you shooting? An immature bull will go an easy 500. our biggest calf was 220 on the hook. I buy the weight that buck looks like a brute. Specifics don't matter! What matters is you waited out your spot and banged a really nice buck for your efforts!

Steeleco
11-16-2005, 07:46 PM
I didn't know horse's had antlers :biggrin::biggrin: That really is a monster. What Reg did you find him?

Ken
11-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Great Buck! congrats!

on a side note, My dad owns a butcher shop, The heaviest mulie to ever hang in his shop was 216lbs on the hook ( my 02 buck ;) )

CLEM
11-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Pretty impressive , nice buck,great story

BigfishCanada
11-17-2005, 08:28 AM
I got him in region 3-13, and I dont think it was scored correct. My buddy had a tape measure on it and thinks it would score more. Is there a link to a website that can show a guy how to do this. "Ken, good thing larry isnt your Dad, I wouldnt of wanted to beat your family record."

:-D

mark
11-17-2005, 09:19 AM
I got him in region 3-13, and I dont think it was scored correct. My buddy had a tape measure on it and thinks it would score more. Is there a link to a website that can show a guy how to do this. "Ken, good thing larry isnt your Dad, I wouldnt of wanted to beat your family record."

:-D

boone and crocket club web site under scoring your trophy. has an easy way to do it?

Mulie_Hunter
11-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Wow, Great buck man! 245lbs big winter Meat Nicely done!

MattB
11-17-2005, 10:59 AM
I believe the score for sure...that mass will definetely add up and mainbeams can be hard to judge so i have no problem believeing that. The weight though of 245 dressed and hide off....i can see it getting into the mid 300's....maybe the butcher is exagerating a little and trying to get more $$$$ out of you ? I guess i would have to see the body in person to truly appreciate it! Congrats on the nice buck! You definetely deserve him! :grin:

shortroot
11-17-2005, 01:35 PM
The largest mulie I've had on the scale was 194lbs, and have had 5-6 in the 175-190lb range. The largest in at the shop last year where I get my deer cut up was in the 230lb range, the thing was huge. I've seen a couple deer on the hoof that would break the 200lb mark, but in the late summer.

However, a buck weighing 2X his dressed weight is pushing it. A deer hide isn't that heavy (20-40lbs, with 40lbs pushing it), head and horns (10-20lbs) and guts and legs (30-60lbs). Like MattB said, a buck this size would more realistically be in the mid to high 300lb range on the hoof. Where the extra 100lbs would come from boggles my mind? Is it possible, yes, but not llikely. A big deer none the less though.

The buck I shot that weighed 194lbs, would have been lucky if he had 30lbs of guts inside him. However I've shot some off of alfalpha fields that had guts that would possibly weigh a little more than 60lbs, but not too much more.

For what it's worth now, a very very nice deer you have there.

Congratulations.:biggrin:

rollingrock
11-17-2005, 02:13 PM
480 pounds....wow!

Sieg-MM
11-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Congrats on your big buck!

BigfishCanada
11-17-2005, 04:58 PM
ok searched the net, cause you guys really have me thinking, and this is what I found on some sites:

Amount of hanging meat. times that by 1.33 to equal the field dressed weight, times that by 1.26 to equal estimated standing weight.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/estimate_deer_weight.htm

so, then 240x1.33x1.26=402.19 402 pounds. Butcher was saying double the hanging weight to equal standing weight.

So, your all correct that i was mislead in the full standing weight, BUT 402 pounds (240 hanging may be hard to beat) is bigger than anything I will ever get for the rest of my life ( only 34) I am sure. SO I am getting the taxedermist in vernon to head mount it for me in December.

And still, it was an excellent Hunt, and I will remember forever!. Normally I only catch beer buzz's and spiker's.

:eek:

Elkhound
11-17-2005, 05:03 PM
still a great buck.......be proud of him

BCrams
11-20-2005, 03:44 PM
He is a nice buck to be proud of -

I have to go with Mattb though on the weight -

He does not at all go anywhere near 450 lbs. Based on your picture, I would be moore in the neighborhood of an average 275 pound buck on the hoof.

Score wise - he does not go 174" I've seen alot of bucks and I think there may be an error (a common one that alot of people make) that will make it score higher than it does.

elkster
11-20-2005, 08:25 PM
ok searched the net, cause you guys really have me thinking, and this is what I found on some sites:

Amount of hanging meat. times that by 1.33 to equal the field dressed weight, times that by 1.26 to equal estimated standing weight.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/estimate_deer_weight.htm

so, then 240x1.33x1.26=402.19 402 pounds. Butcher was saying double the hanging weight to equal standing weight.

So, your all correct that i was mislead in the full standing weight, BUT 402 pounds (240 hanging may be hard to beat) is bigger than anything I will ever get for the rest of my life ( only 34) I am sure. SO I am getting the taxedermist in vernon to head mount it for me in December.

And still, it was an excellent Hunt, and I will remember forever!. Normally I only catch beer buzz's and spiker's.

:eek:
Hey BIg Fish,
Very nice buck, and who cares about the weight. You're probably are still jumping up and down, as I would be too. Good job!!