PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on bear meat??????

adamgarbett
04-11-2009, 08:34 AM
You either love it or hate it, whats ur opinion? any good recipes????

ELKOHOLICBC
04-11-2009, 08:36 AM
I like it done up as sausage and pep.

newhunterette
04-11-2009, 08:38 AM
You either love it or hate it, whats ur opinion? any good recipes????

bear is great - if you look through the recipe threads - there are lots of bear recipes on the forum :)

Steeleco
04-11-2009, 09:21 AM
It's got to be my favorite of all the game so far. It does make great sausage but cut right it's fantastic on the BBQ to.

martyonthewater
04-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I've only had it from 3 separate bears over the last 2 years but I have to say I am a fan. It sure does seem to gas me up though, some nights I wonder how my wife sleeps next to me after some bear taco's or a roast.

MichelD
04-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Been eating it since 1976.

The only bad one I ever had was one I turned down and chased away earlier one day that another guy shot later that day. it was an ancient ancient boar with teeth worn down to their stumps even the canines, worn out hip joints and 5 inches of fat on in May.

He was so old and sore he couldn't hibernate and had spent the winter eating rotten chum carcasses. My companions didn't want the meat as one was from Ontario and the other's wife wouldn't eat game meat.

It was tough, strong and fishy and though we tried everything to make it palatable, we ended up giving it to O.W.L. the raptor recovery centre in Delta.

There's lots more info in the bear meat and bear recipe archives.

MOWITCH SLAYER
04-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I like it done up as sausage and pep.
x2 And lots of beer

spreerider
04-11-2009, 12:29 PM
bear is good, makes great jerky, roasts and sausages

Sitkaspruce
04-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Do a search on here, lots of info and good recipies.

Bear is great and is my choice for sausages, pepperoni and roasts done in a slow cooker.

Cheers

SS

Gateholio
04-11-2009, 01:42 PM
We just had our annual banquet, and the comments I got were that people loved the bear curry we made.8)

Marc
04-11-2009, 01:53 PM
I work with 5 other people and every Thursday we do a BBQ, doesn't take long to go through a couple bears a year with that many mouths around the table.:mrgreen: I prefer the younger bears for steaks and the the bigger ones become sausage and burger for chili and spaghetti sauce.

tomahawk
04-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Great meat, underrated by most folks. The catch is getting a bear that has been eating a good diet (no garbage or seafood) and younger usually nicer cuts.

pupper
04-11-2009, 05:45 PM
I personally love bear sausage: farmer, italian, pepporoni etc.

but if you like the strong powerful flavour of bear meat try these recipes:
http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Bear_Meat_Recipes

Gilmore
04-11-2009, 06:24 PM
We just had our annual banquet, and the comments I got were that people loved the bear curry we made.8)

It was outstanding, and by far the crowd favorite form what I heard. My wife after eating Clarkes bear curry went as far as instructing me to shoot a bear this year...as long as it's a curry bear.:smile:

ratherbefishin
04-11-2009, 06:34 PM
yes,the key is to get a bear that hasn't been on fish or garbage-a nice 3-4 year old is ideal.Spring or fall doesn't seem to maike much diference,except fall bears have lots of fat[rendered down makes it ideal for baking] One of my favourite recipe's is to crock pot it with beer,add some ginger and an onion-teriyaki sauce.

mcrae
04-11-2009, 07:25 PM
My families favorite is bear meat as well. We make smokies,pepperoni,salami,garlic sausage, and hams. I always cut a few roasts and steaks as well and we go thru bear burger faster than any of the other critters I bring home...

The thing I like about bears is its a quality meat you can replenish in the spring so I can't remember the last time I actually ran out of meat. Between the spring hunt and the fall hunt I always manage to get some meat for the family.

BEARSLAYER
04-11-2009, 07:45 PM
In our house bear is a favorite. We all look to the spring hunt for anew batch of sausage ,jerky,and pepperoni. It also gives us the first camping of the year!

pupper
04-11-2009, 07:52 PM
you could also try bear ribs:
http://www.successfulhunting.com/2009/03/26/bear-recipe/

brotherjack
04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
It's pretty good to excellent when heavily seasoned, but all by it self without some serious seasoning to give it some flavor, I find/found it pretty tasteless and (often) chewy, myself (compared to deer or elk or the like, which have more/better flavor in the meat itself). In other words, you put enough garlic in (almost) anything, and I'll eat it. :)

bsa30-06
04-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Had some bear pepperoni made, best i ever had.The kids ate it up so fast i had to hide it just to get some.

wolverine
04-11-2009, 08:19 PM
When I met my wife she told me that it was okay that I hunted but not to expect her to eat any game meat. Took me about five years to convince her to try it but she loves bear meat now and prefers it over venison. I just bought an cookbook at Home Hardward a couple of days ago with nothing but game recipes in it. They have devoted an entire section to bears so I'm going to be trying a few new recipes this year.

high and to the right
04-11-2009, 09:11 PM
My first bear had been eating so many blue berries that he tasted sweet. My wife was in her first trimester and although she loves moose, the smell of the bear cooking and the thought of eating it turned her stomach (don't need to say more) so over the years I've given my bear meat to needy families.

outdoorsman812
04-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I love bear meat. Depending on the age of the bear it usually goes into burger, haven't tried making pepperoni out of it, going to have to try it sometime. I find though that bear meat doesn't keep anywhere near as long as other game meat, probably to do with the amount of fat in the meat. All the people I know who dislike bear meat dislike it because they don't like the thought of eating a "bear", it has nothing to do with the taste. Can't wait to get out there soon and harvest another one!

SteadyGirl
04-12-2009, 03:21 AM
I haven't tried any bear meat I can stomach yet, no matter how its done up.

hunter1947
04-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Not for me ,I will leave it for others to eat.

Tanya
04-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Young bear is great, old "trophy" bears ....not so except in sausage. Makes wicked good stew with lots of root veggies. Small fingers of bear loin, a slice of jalapeno all wrapped in bacon and cooked over an open alder fire .....so good.

Gatehouse, the curry sounds good, red or yellow? I love curry, John unfortunately doesn't.

Spokerider
04-12-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm not fussy for it........tried one, decided to pass from there on in........

wickit
04-12-2009, 09:50 AM
I have only had bear once at the 06 BCWF AGM in Dawon Creek. It was made in to meat balls not to bad I'll try bear again.

Benthos
04-12-2009, 10:20 AM
i've tried it on a few occassions, my own bear, as well as others. i thought in all cases it tasted like crap!

i'll stick with deer and moose thanks