PDA

View Full Version : Diseases in the Wild...

redthorn
04-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Sorry, had formatting issues. read the post below please.

redthorn
04-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Hello, my name is Joel Feenstra, and I am a member of Ridgedale Rod and Gun Club and a former member of the Chilliwack Fish and Game Protective Association.

I am gathering information about diseases in the wild, and would like to be notified about any health issues among wild animals observed by any of you. This Study is being done by researchers at the University of British Columbia, and after being contacted by them, I agreed to be a liason between them and any members interested in helping.

We’ve all heard about Tuberculosis, CWD, trichinosis, and a myriad of other diseases that can affect our wild animal stocks. But these can be difficult to detect in the wild, and there is a need for people who spend time out in the woods who can identify and report outbreaks.

This study is only looking at Birds and Mammals, and so any unusual occurrences in these animals are what the scientists are looking for. The animal does not have to be dead to be reported, and reports can be made about animals you have just observed. If you do kill an animal, you can see if it has worms or liverspots.

This is what we’re looking for:
Any Wild birds or mammal showing obvious signs of disease
Any unusual herd declines or behaviour
We need to know the location( precise is best, but if it’s a jealously guarded spot, just the nearest logging road or other landmark)
We are not taking any physical samples, just reports
Signs to look for are...
malnourishment, patchy hair or feathers, odd behaviour, worms, liverspotting, lesions or tumours, etc.

If you can, call or email me to report. You can call me directly on my Cell phone, at 604-835-8986 or email me at redthornboards@hotmail.com (redthornboards@hotmail.com)

Even just a vague “ I watched a cow elk who looked otherwise healthy, but was very listless and slow compared to the rest of the herd and was always lagging behind...” is a valid report. We are only looking for signs that might suggest sickness, we do not need concrete proof.

We are not gathering personal Information, and no phone numbers, names, or emails will be kept.

Your Help in this is appreciated. If you have any questions, please contact me via the info provided.

Thanks again. Joel Feenstra

Steeleco
04-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I too tried to edit your first post, you beat me too it!! Good luck in your research.

I can add a, we saw a juvenile moose last spring on the road between Brookmere and the Otter lake road, it was bald in many places and extremely malnourished, one of those times when you wish you could help it on it's journey??

redthorn
04-10-2009, 09:20 AM
I appreciate that Steeleco... But what are you doing on a computer on a long weekend in bear season? I should be out there as well.

Steeleco
04-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Someone's got to keep an eye on the place!!! Besides, I don't have a tag for snowbears!!!