PDA

View Full Version : waterfowl retriever training

longshotz
04-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Rescued a 10 month black lab from SPCA and she is just now getting housebroken. No issues from past other than that.
We're now ready to take on the task of making her a good waterfowl retriever. I've trained a Duck Toller in the past under different circumstances, but his time around though more structured training would be best. Looking for a training gig that I can attend as well. I retire on May 1 so I will have ample time to do this; just not quite the complete knowledge.
Last but not least, I am not interested in using electronic callers and believe in positive reinforcement training methods.
Anyone with any leads; let me know.
Thanks

labguy
04-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Rescued a 10 month black lab from SPCA and she is just now getting housebroken. No issues from past other than that.
We're now ready to take on the task of making her a good waterfowl retriever. I've trained a Duck Toller in the past under different circumstances, but his time around though more structured training would be best. Looking for a training gig that I can attend as well. I retire on May 1 so I will have ample time to do this; just not quite the complete knowledge.
Last but not least, I am not interested in using electronic callers and believe in positive reinforcement training methods.
Anyone with any leads; let me know.
Thanks
There is a gun dog training seminar advertised on this same forum coming up. The man putting this on has had years of experience training retrievers and has produced many fine dogs from his program. You couldn't do much better than to start there.

There are also many retriever clubs throughout BC with some good members who may wish to help you as you and your dog progress. P.M. me with your location and I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction.

Also.........I wouldn't totally dismiss the use of electronic collars. Done properly they are a far more humane way to train a dog than the old way. Get all the information you can before making a decision.

There have been many people who felt as you do until they got all the facts and saw the results of a good e-collar training program...........it's just a tool, that's all. Good luck with your dog.