PDA

View Full Version : Bear Hams??

04-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Thinking if I arrow a bear this spring, I may try getting some of the meat cured to a ham. What do you all think?

Ron.C
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
sounds good. I plan on trying the same thing. Never made one before and plan on using a recipe off the Bradly smoker website.

mark
04-08-2009, 11:18 AM
When I used to eat bears, hams were my favorite thing by far!!

Phil
04-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Bear hams are great.

thecoug
04-08-2009, 12:19 PM
You can go nutz with recipes... but lots of smoke (cherry/alder) and not too much heat... Personal preference is pretty dry... Or.. you can do it like cougar and do it char siu.. like chinese pork.... soak it in the hoisin/honey/brown sugar concoction for 48 hrs.. or bag it in a plastic bag with the goop..(or you can buy char siu in a bottle in richmond or an asian market) and then barbeque it slowly... Think of it as "the other pork" YUM!!

bowhunterbruce
04-08-2009, 01:22 PM
the wife and i get on average of 3 bears together every year and we always get all of our hams done up by our butcher and turn everything else into pepperoni sticks.my family has been eating hams this way for over 30 years now and i personally love them,in fact when it comes to giving my mother meat every year there has to be bear hams or she freaks out on me lolthey are her absolute favorite wild game meat.
if your going to do the hams yourself your internal temp of the ham needs to reach 150 degrees f for at least a few hrs to ward of any possibilties of tricanosis should it be present.
awsome tasting meat though and very distink and dont cheep out and use liquid smoke. go for the real thing as in hickory or mesquite.yummmmmy

papaken
04-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Smoked ribs are also excellent.

wolverine
04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
An absolute must! There is nothing finer than double smoked bear hams. I don't bother with chops and burger anymore either. Just hams and an assortment of sausage and pepperoni. You'll never go back to pork man.

tomahawk
04-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Get both rear upper legs cured into hams and you'll do it everytime you get a bear in the future!

jeeper
04-08-2009, 03:31 PM
You can go nutz with recipes... but lots of smoke (cherry/alder) and not too much heat... Personal preference is pretty dry... Or.. you can do it like cougar and do it char siu.. like chinese pork.... soak it in the hoisin/honey/brown sugar concoction for 48 hrs.. or bag it in a plastic bag with the goop..(or you can buy char siu in a bottle in richmond or an asian market) and then barbeque it slowly... Think of it as "the other pork" YUM!!

Sounds like a good recipe :) Will the flavors penetrate the meat all the way?

Bruce

Brett
04-08-2009, 04:02 PM
ok some one put some recipes up in the recipe section! please!

newhunterette
04-08-2009, 04:06 PM
ok some one put some recipes up in the recipe section! please!

already there Brett

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19274&highlight=bear+hams

Mr. Friendly
04-08-2009, 07:46 PM
no roasts? surely bear can have some good roasts...

jeeper
04-08-2009, 08:53 PM
no roasts? surely bear can have some good roasts...

Im sure they do :) But do you know how much good chinese barbecued pork goes for these days :) I love the stuff .

Bruce

newhunterette
04-08-2009, 08:55 PM
lots of bear recipes in the recipe forum

mud-dog27
04-08-2009, 09:43 PM
well i think i may have to give this ham thing a go and i was unaware that there was a recipe section on here will have to check it out

Ddog
04-08-2009, 09:54 PM
i dunno about the homemade hams but i can sure tell you that the hams i have had made by Weymouth meats have been excellent. I am not 100% sure but i think he sends them out to penguin meats to have done. either way they have been great.

thecoug
04-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Sounds like a good recipe :) Will the flavors penetrate the meat all the way?

Brucenever can really get that to happen unless you use a very large syringe, like we used to use for rinsing out horses mouths.. then you crank the solution in to the bone line...:eek::eek:

bridger
04-08-2009, 11:43 PM
hams from a black bear that has been feeding in peace country oat field for a couple of weeks are unbelievably good when made into hams.