PDA

View Full Version : Adams lake and other big char lakes?

Deerwhacker
04-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Tired of all the small fish in the local lakes and would like to try for some trophy char, has anyone had any experience fishing Adams or other lakes that have good char fishing?

Jagermeister
04-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Adams is a hard lake to fish. There are large fish, but they are pretty illusive for me. Some people seem to hook up frequently. The wind can blow up some nasty water, particularly in the spring, which can make things dicey if your in a small aluminium boat.
This last statement also applies to Quesnel Lake. And if you are in a small boat, stay out of the east arm, because if the wind starts to blow and your boat cannot take big waves, there is no place to seek refuge. In the north and west arms, you can always head to some beach to wait it out, there are no beaches on the east arm.

Goliath
04-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Hooking up with the giants isn't difficult if you're willing to put in the time to figure it out. IMO, the spring is about as easy as it gets...the most of my fish are nailed in 50' or less. Stay close to the bottom, and use the biggest plug / spoon you got. A 6" plug will catch 5 lbs just as easily as 40 lbs.

doubled
04-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Work near creek mouths too.

Dirty
04-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Are you looking for catch and release or retention? I know Shuswap has good fishing for lakers, you just need to have down riggers and get it down with some big spoons. Fish like you would fish the ocean, with Coyote Spoons and so forth.

Deerwhacker
04-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, If I can keep them thats fine if not ill still be happy to just catch them and snap a photo.

Dirty
04-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, If I can keep them thats fine if not ill still be happy to just catch them and snap a photo.

Apparently you have to watch that the stomachs don't pop out on the Lakers, because they come up from so deep. Don't know if this or true or not, but might be something to watch out for.

PGK
04-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Apparently you have to watch that the stomachs don't pop out on the Lakers, because they come up from so deep. Don't know if this or true or not, but might be something to watch out for.

If you bring them up from any more than about 80 feet at a quick pace, they will pop their stomachs (and sometimes eyes). It's a similar response to when humans get the bends...they can't acclimatize to the pressure change and pop their swim bladders out of their mouths.

Bring them up SLOW!!

doubled
04-09-2009, 11:36 PM
If you bring them up from any more than about 80 feet at a quick pace, they will pop their stomachs (and sometimes eyes). It's a similar response to when humans get the bends...they can't acclimatize to the pressure change and pop their swim bladders out of their mouths.

Bring them up SLOW!!

Or the alternative is bring them up FAST and BONK em.

PGK
04-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Or the alternative is bring them up FAST and BONK em.

When you're only allowed one fish over 50cm, this is not a smart way to fish for lake trout.