PDA

View Full Version : Photos of Game

greybark
11-15-2005, 10:29 PM
:) The photos on this link and web site are quite good and hats off to those who took time to ensure great composition . I suggest a few points that may help you get great looking momentous .
*Firstly the most importent principle in photography is get close (real close) .
*Next try to have your subject flow into the center of frame .
*Another trick is to have a nice limited (remember first principle) contrasting background to cause the subject to stand out.
*Eliminate any excess material that would distract from the subject.
*Get your game out of the back of a pick-up truck or out of the carport and away from fences etc and use a natural background,
*Present the game in a respectful way by:
#Do not sit astride,stand over or place a foot on the animal,
#Do not place Hats or gear on the animal,
#Do not have the animal`s tounge hanging out,
#Clean up any blood (especialy around the shot hole),
#Place a small leaf over shot hole,
Please note this post is not ment to crtique any photo or hunter but is aimed at helping to get photos that you will be proud of.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Freshtracks
11-15-2005, 10:37 PM
I need to find them first before any photo's greybark. :cry:

Thanks for the tips ... I'm sure everyone will find them handy.

Dano
11-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Another good idea is to take more than a couple photos. I find that if I take 3 or 4 of most pictures one is clearly the best (and it's usually not the first one). I agree with the closer the better for clearer shots. Get to know your camera so you can set up the appropriate distance from your subject.
Dano

Tarp Man
11-16-2005, 01:46 AM
REmember also

WHEN TAKING PHOTOS BE BEAR AWARE! I have only hunted for two years now, and this year my buddy and I had TWO bears run into TWO kills, two days apart and about 10 km apart. Only a loaded gun and an aware spotter kept this newbie from ending up seeing a bear from the inside.
-Tarp Man

troutseeker
11-16-2005, 05:17 AM
I like to take the pics once the animal is skinned and therefore in all it's glory... Makes for good reviews from the anti's especially since I proudly drape myself in the pelt!Troutseeker

Jimbo
11-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Great tips for all of us Greybark! If I could add one more, smile!!! Be proud of what you've acheived.

Jetboater
11-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Great tips all together,
If I could add a couple it would be for the photographer to get as low as possible on the animal so the picture looks up a little, also roll the animal over so the legs dont lay out all over the place tuck them underneath if possible (this is tough to do on moose)
wipe the face of all blood,there is nothing worse to have too much blood,
take pics before you gut it!!!
take as many photos from all angles,

greybark
11-16-2005, 01:07 PM
:grin: OoooPpppSsss , I forgot one other point for a great photo :
# Don`t do the Chuck Adams thing of fully extending your arms and even your fingers in order to make the animal`s antlers look larger then they really are. The photo will give the impression that the hunter has a very small head or the Deer has a very large nose .:p

PGKris
11-16-2005, 04:50 PM
You should have started that off with "Shoot the sucker real dead before taking any pictures" I need meat in the freezer!

NEEHAMA
11-16-2005, 05:24 PM
why hide the hole with a leaf?.....i just stick my tounge in the hole for any photo op.

greybark
11-16-2005, 08:13 PM
:lol: Good one ,NEEHAMA:lol:
Just back from Rock Ck and those Coopers(285`s) were super- Thanks

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On

oldtimer
11-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Greybark--- Do you approve of the weapon being in the pic ?? I know when I get a decent buck I will want my bow in the pic even if I am not. Mike

greybark
11-16-2005, 10:20 PM
:grin: Hey Oldtimer, You bet . That would be part of the story the photo is relating. I would not hang or place the weapon across the antlers (distraction) but angled across your or the animals chest . Thus it would be a part of and not the focus of the photo.
Nice to hear from you OT.

huntwriter
11-18-2005, 12:22 AM
:) The photos on this link and web site are quite good and hats off to those who took time to ensure great composition . I suggest a few points that may help you get great looking momentous .
*Firstly the most importent principle in photography is get close (real close) .
*Next try to have your subject flow into the center of frame .
*Another trick is to have a nice limited (remember first principle) contrasting background to cause the subject to stand out.
*Eliminate any excess material that would distract from the subject.
*Get your game out of the back of a pick-up truck or out of the carport and away from fences etc and use a natural background,
*Present the game in a respectful way by:
#Do not sit astride,stand over or place a foot on the animal,
#Do not place Hats or gear on the animal,
#Do not have the animal`s tounge hanging out,
#Clean up any blood (especialy around the shot hole),
#Place a small leaf over shot hole,
Please note this post is not ment to crtique any photo or hunter but is aimed at helping to get photos that you will be proud of.

Very good post, but personally I like to ad my weapon it ads to the menomries.

huntwriter
11-18-2005, 12:28 AM
I like to take the pics once the animal is skinned and therefore in all it's glory... Makes for good reviews from the anti's especially since I proudly drape myself in the pelt!Troutseeker

I like your post too. Fianlly someone like me and my wife who thinks that we should not give in to what is called "new sensibility". My wife loves fur coat and when ever we go somewhere where antis are expected she will wear one just to piss them off. She is also well spoken and knows her stuff pity them if they open as much as their mouth to make a comment.