PDA

View Full Version : Wood Ticks

outdoorsman812
04-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Went for a hike today just out of town. Went fairly well except for the fact that I picked 7 wood ticks off me over the course of the hike, and my friend picked off 5, none made it to the point of biting. It was only a short hike, and I had four within the first half hour!!! This is the worst I have ever seen, I got pretty paranoid and was checking myself over alot, stopping pretty much every minute to do a quick check, I wasn't about to let one of the little buzzards bite me! Last year a little earlier in the spring I went in the same area but only found one, caught it as it was crawling up the side of my neck.

Marc
04-04-2009, 11:39 PM
What town? What area do you come from? If you updated your profile ith would make things more understandable.:biggrin:

lip_ripper00
04-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Went for a hike today just out of town. Went fairly well except for the fact that I picked 7 wood ticks off me over the course of the hike, and my friend picked off 5, none made it to the point of biting. It was only a short hike, and I had four within the first half hour!!! This is the worst I have ever seen, I got pretty paranoid and was checking myself over alot, stopping pretty much every minute to do a quick check, I wasn't about to let one of the little buzzards bite me! Last year a little earlier in the spring I went in the same area but only found one, caught it as it was crawling up the side of my neck.

yes, this pisses me off to no end you think you are doing us all a favor:rolleyes: when you don't tell us in your profile where the hell the problem is. THANKS!!!

sawmill
04-05-2009, 05:23 AM
Maybe he does`nt want you guys sneaking around his house a night?

hunter1947
04-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Marc I would like it monitory that every one on this site has to put on there profile where there from http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Pete
04-05-2009, 06:24 AM
In my line of work ticks are a constant issue. I Have taken to either wearing gaiters or pants with elastic in the cuffs. I make sure that I wear a shirt that is tucked in that also has a collar, ticks will hang up under a collar. I use a good quality bug spray and spray from my waist down as well as the back of my neck. In a 1 hour session last spring myself an 2 other biologists had 27 ticks on us. This was in the Sage brush near Summerland.

islandboy
04-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Marc I would like it monitory that every one on this site has to put on there profile where there from http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Along with google maps links and gps ready co-ordinates of their favorite hunting locations to prove (no pics/no proof theory) they are hunters. :lol: :lol: One cannot be too careful that tick stories are merely anti's trying to scare us out of the woods. :biggrin:

Shed Hunter
04-05-2009, 06:41 AM
NO. I do not agree. I have to many folk walking in my foot steps now. And bullets flying a round my head

hunter1947
04-05-2009, 06:45 AM
In my line of work ticks are a constant issue. I Have taken to either wearing gaiters or pants with elastic in the cuffs. I make sure that I wear a shirt that is tucked in that also has a collar, ticks will hang up under a collar. I use a good quality bug spray and spray from my waist down as well as the back of my neck. In a 1 hour session last spring myself an 2 other biologists had 27 ticks on us. This was in the Sage brush near Summerland.

Pete we do not have a problem with ticks here on Vancouver Island as you have on the main land.

I have been out in the bush many of times in the past 2 months and never found one tick on me.

I guess the wetter weather has something to do with it ??.

Fisher-Dude
04-05-2009, 07:26 AM
NO. I do not agree. I have to many folk walking in my foot steps now. And bullets flying a round my head

Shed Hunter is from Clearwater. Follow him everywhere. I won't recommend shooting at him - that would be your own personal choice. ;-)

gwillim
04-05-2009, 07:26 AM
My wife and were out for a walk west of Nelson last weekend (Marsden Face), and pulled a few ticks off of our pants. The ground was still half covered in snow, and the buggers were already out and about!

igojuone
04-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Doesn't matter where Outdoorsman812 is from it matters where he was hiking? Hunter1947 what do you want next a list of all firearms and a key to my gun safe as well all for just 2 billion.

hunter1947
04-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Doesn't matter where Outdoorsman812 is from it matters where he was hiking? Hunter1947 what do you want next a list of all firearms and a key to my gun safe as well all for just 2 billion.

That would help :biggrin:.

mark
04-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Ticks are pretty bad in the Okanagan right now, I get anywhere from 1-6 per day no matter where i hike! Ive tried regular bug spray with 25% deet, doesnt seem to help! The little buggers always seem to crawl right up the back of my neck into the hair line! Never been bitten though!

ruger#1
04-05-2009, 08:16 AM
They are out here in Mission to, picked two off of the dogs.

Jelvis
04-05-2009, 08:17 AM
The Rocky Mountain Wood Tick (Paralysis Tick) Spring time adult ticks crawl out into shrubs to wait for deer or some other host. If they are not succesful the heat of summer drives them into shelter. Succesful ones climb to the head and neck of the host and become attached. Pregnanrt females get bloated and have 6000 eggs to lay. Hatch into tiny seed ticks which go for small animals like mice. Three hosts are needed to complete cycle.
Ticks are eaten by magpies etc and sometimes can't find a host so chance of survival includes luck. lol. Out of the 6000 eggs layed only two need to survive to carry on. These ticks also can carry Rocky Mountain spotted fever.
The heat of summer drives these little critters into the shelter and out of circulation til next spring.
Jel -- Are you ticked off yet? lol. Wear light colored clothes, tuck pants in boots or socks check your partner and shake clothes outside at home and check your body for the little parasites.

longhairmtnman
04-05-2009, 09:13 AM
they don't have to be in the neck area. I had one in my inner forearm a couple years back. Went right up my sleeve. Never felt a thing till I was getting ready for a shower and spotted it 3/4 buried.

04-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Shed Hunter is from Clearwater. Follow him everywhere. I won't recommend shooting at him - that would be your own personal choice. ;-)

The secret is out.

MOWITCH SLAYER
04-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Shed Hunter is way back up never tell creek on the far side of can't remember mountian. I know cause he steal's my shed's all the time!!

Pete
04-07-2009, 05:08 AM
Pete we do not have a problem with ticks here on Vancouver Island as you have on the main land.

I have been out in the bush many of times in the past 2 months and never found one tick on me.

I guess the wetter weather has something to do with it ??.
Wayne you guys a lucky.....the little monsters are everywhere up here. Mind you we don't have a mould that will kill you :-) Think I'll take the ticks.
Cheers
Pete

Walksalot
04-07-2009, 06:31 AM
If I have been out in the woods I tell all that visit to watch for ticks as I have found them in the "questing position" on the side of the fridge.

outdoorsman812
04-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I was hiking in the thompson area, an hour from kamloops

doubled
04-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Pulled two out of my dog tonight and then gave him the longest bath he has ever had. He is not going to talk to me for a few days now.

rfb
04-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Just returned from okanagan mountain park where I must have pulled 30 off me. I'm still feeling a bit paranoid.

Big Lew
04-08-2009, 08:23 PM
The 3 worse areas I've encountered heavy concentrations of ticks....east side of kalamalka lake between oyama and vernon (shot a deer so infested it looked like a mangy dog)....above vidette lake north of savona....east of pavilion lake by the waterfall (they were crawling all over the ice overflow) I've had them all over me too many times, so I now won't travel in the interior bush between march and june anymore.

mcrae
04-08-2009, 08:37 PM
My wife and were out for a walk west of Nelson last weekend (Marsden Face), and pulled a few ticks off of our pants. The ground was still half covered in snow, and the buggers were already out and about!

That area is always bad. The grassy flats are a bad place to sit and take a break. My wife and I learned that the hard way....

Lone Ranger
04-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Did a quick turn-and-burn to Princeton to pick up my camper, and sitting here watching TV I just pulled a tick off of me. We were out in the open the entire 20 minutes we were there, gravel lot. Just long enough to unload a canoe and jack up the camper to back under it, buckle it down and head back for the coast. Definitely going to be a bad year for them if I got one (or maybe more) in an open well-used gravel lot! LR

outdoorsman812
04-12-2009, 03:08 PM
doesn't take long for those little fellers to climb aboard! Doesn't take long for them to start diggin for gold either.....

Jelvis
04-12-2009, 03:52 PM
This time I went up the mountain to Clock Lake on Mt. Tock by the grass lands near Hourglass Creek. Well you guessed it. As soon as I got past Clock, I got a tick on Tock.
Jel -- If you climb up Tock check hourly for ticks. tick tock around the clock

bc sportsman
04-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Apparently DEET is not that effective against Ticks. Permethrine seems to be the product of choice. Apparently its not available in Canada for human use. However, very common in the States.

Apparently it is used by our troops in Afganhastan. You can get dog spray that has it (Sergeants Flea n Tick Spray). Not sure how wise it would be to spray this stuff on your clothing.

www.stopticks.org/prevention/index.asp (http://www.stopticks.org/prevention/index.asp)