PDA

View Full Version : 4-22 Grizzly Advice

Dirty
04-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I got a draw in 4-22 for grizzly this year and I have never been there before. Can any locals give me advice on areas to check and what the snow is like. I am thinking a trip for May long weekend.

Trapper
04-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Check out Bull River thats where you will find your bear pm me for more advise (I,ve logged that area for years)

Dirty
04-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks Trapper, I will get a PM around to you.

7 mag
04-04-2009, 10:36 PM
If you've never been there & dont know the area, WHY WOULD YOU PUT IN ? This is what drives locals nuts, People that live in the area & put in for Grizz draws for yrs & never get drawn. The most succesfull hunts are researched far ahead of application.

PGK
04-04-2009, 10:38 PM
If you've never been there & dont know the area, WHY WOULD YOU PUT IN ? This is what drives locals nuts, People that live in the area & put in for Grizz draws for yrs & never get drawn. The most succesfull hunts are researched far ahead of application.

He's baiting you. He is just looking for an ego boost on a saturday night. He doesn't even have the draw, he is just trying to be as cool as his mentor Kechika.

duckhunt
04-05-2009, 08:43 AM
About four years years ago some of our friends buddy's were attacked by a grizzly at the base of that mountain range at Horseshoe lake,and three years ago when me and my dad and our friends were there and we saw something something hanging in a tree turned out to be a grizzly head and part of the cape still on. if you do go there there is quite a few cougars (not the ones in heels :biggrin:) so be careful.

7 mag
04-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Hey RiverBoat, all im saying is a hunt of this magnitude requires alot of pre application research. To just randemly through a dart is why many tags go unfilled, & this is what i think of when i see someone ask for info after they have applied & been drawn.
I dont need to be drawn as i've taken my share of Grizz, so this is'nt sour grapes, just about comman sense.

mark
04-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Hey RiverBoat, all im saying is a hunt of this magnitude requires alot of pre application research. To just randemly through a dart is why many tags go unfilled, & this is what i think of when i see someone ask for info after they have applied & been drawn.
I dont need to be drawn as i've taken my share of Grizz, so this is'nt sour grapes, just about comman sense.

hey 7 mag, would you also go do lots of scouting for bison at pink mtn., or elk on vancouver isl. knowing yer odds of getting a draw maybe 50:1 or worse???
How about a Dall sheep draw??? Do you think guys do scouting trips up there before appying for the tag???
People that often rant about this should really stop and think!

riflebuilder
04-05-2009, 09:56 AM
There are good numbers of Grizz in the bull. I can give some info on where to go. I know the outfitterthere and he would like to see more grizzly taken. He has seen upwards of 20 diferent bears in a week hunt.

Dirty
04-05-2009, 09:59 AM
He's baiting you. He is just looking for an ego boost on a saturday night. He doesn't even have the draw, he is just trying to be as cool as his mentor Kechika.

Jealousy rears it's ugly head. If you want to make false allegations why don't you go cite one of your numerous scientific papers that are in the online database of your brain. :rolleyes:

My dad used to hunt this area many years ago, around when he was my age, so I decided to put in for the area. I hunted black bears last year, and I was unsuccessful, but it was lots of fun. I thought that hunting grizzlies would be a lot more fun, and a lot more of a rush, so I put in for this high odds area that my dad used to hunt.

bearhunter338-06
04-05-2009, 10:07 AM
my advice would be to take a big gun and a short barreled 44mag, just incase you have to get it into you'r mouth quick "roflmao"

bigben
04-05-2009, 10:18 AM
GOOD LUCK THERE DIRTY ...........show the pics when you get one take care

BCLongshot
04-05-2009, 10:53 AM
I put my draw in for Stanley park.

gbear
04-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I grew up in Kimberley and my dad and I used to hunt the area every fall fro deer and elk, but seen lots of grizzly while there.

My dad drew a spring grizz tag there many years ago and I went with him. We seen a fair number and he was successful on a very nice colored one. We concentrated our efforts on the Sulpher Creek drainage, which sits in zone E of 4-22. Not sure of the snow levels there this year, but we got in and hiked around and got his bear on Mother's day in an avalanche chute.

There are lots of nice chutes to glass along this road, and up near the end of the road there is an old burn that also has nice grassy chutes. I know a guy would find a grizz there again whitout many problems. Also, there are some avalanche chutes not far off the road in some of the side drainages, but you can't see them from the road. You'ld have to hike up a bit to look into them.

If I remember right, the Sulpher creek road takes off around Km 50 of the Bull river road. Go on that road for a few km past the sulpher lick to a Y and hang a left across the bridge. If you went right, you'ld eventually end up in Fernie.

muleyman
04-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Good luck on your hunt for spring grizz,it should be a good time.We as hunters and as residents of B.C. need to be supporting each other not playing "the area is mine" stuff most people on this site are just seeking general info not detailed maps,does this mean I cannot fish the ocean or Skeena river because I don't live there, you go where the animals are.:!:

Trapper
04-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Dirty
PM Sent

d6dan
04-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Dirty, PM sent to ya. Good luck and forget the negatives, (their just pissed cause they did'nt get a draw..

mike_b
04-05-2009, 04:35 PM
We as hunters and as residents of B.C. need to be supporting each other not playing "the area is mine"

I absolutely agree. I'm pretty tired of that too. I guy who asked of an area isn't looking for a map. Those that see this as a threat against their life, grow up a little. It's ridiculous.....:roll:

Good luck to you Dirty; may your travels yield much success (and post some pics brother)

HD95
04-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Part of the joy of hunting is checking out new ground,its an adventure. Hunting for a g-bear in new territory will be a major adventure.Go for it,good luck.ps.You negative types need to get a life,lord help ya if you should need some information some day.

Dirty
04-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the PM's, advice, and well-wishes. This really is a great site. I think that May Long Weekend is go time. I can't wait to get pictures with my first grizzly.

mike_b
04-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all the PM's, advice, and well-wishes. This really is a great site. I think that May Long Weekend is go time. I can't wait to get pictures with my first grizzly.

I'm looking forward to some pictures from your hunt. That actually goes for everyone who got a draw. I got skunked this year (again), but I'm rooting for the rest of you....:grin:

born2hunt
04-05-2009, 09:25 PM
I have to agree with Mark i live on the island and i go hunting all the time to the interior and to alberta without scouting my game ,, i like the adventure of finding new territory. and the possibilty of finding my game. It's called hunting for a reason:) So many times ive heard local's say why the heck cant i get a draw here ive live here for 30 years well ive lived on the island for 45 years and never had a elk draw but im sure hoping it;ll happen this year:)))LOL we could only wish as local's that we had special odd's.

Dirty
05-12-2009, 09:31 PM
What are the conditions like right now? I am coming up for this long weekend to hunt my grizz.

Blainer
05-12-2009, 09:39 PM
What are the conditions like right now? I am coming up for this long weekend to hunt my grizz.
Are you going for just the weekend?Almost 2 days in driving time.
I see you posted a thread yesterday regarding selling a bear hide.Do you intend to sell the hide if you harvest a grizz?
good luck and take lots of pictures.

srupp
05-12-2009, 10:34 PM
dont know anything about that area so cant help at all ...sorry

straight shooting and good luck

Steven

bayou
05-13-2009, 05:52 AM

Been raining lots snowing up high still cool in the mornings but with all the moisture things are really greening up your timing should be fine. Calling for snow again tonight but nice on the weekend.

ElkMasterC
05-13-2009, 06:57 AM
I'll meet you at the Bull River Inn.
I'll buy ya a beer, there, Pilgrim, and send you off to the Marrow.
;-)

BlacktailStalker
05-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Knock 'em down Dirty !

model88
05-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I'll meet you at the Elk River Inn.
I'll buy ya a beer, there, Pilgrim, and send you off to the Marrow.
;-)

Umm, I think that should be the Bull River Inn:p

eastkoot
05-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Umm, I think that should be the Bull River Inn:razz:

Yep, we don't want a guy named Dirty at the Elk River Inn:wink:

Andy83
05-13-2009, 08:31 PM
good luck getting a grizz dirty.

bigben
05-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Bono Fortuna Dirty

ElkMasterC
05-13-2009, 10:39 PM
He has an equal chance of showing up at either place...lmao

7 mag
05-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Dirty, to sum all this up, i do wish you all the luck. You have picked i believe the best time to hunt - MId May & on, Boars will be on the prowl.
Sorry for the earlier rant, i'm just getting old & grotchity.

7 Mag

bayou
05-26-2009, 06:56 PM

Long weekend has come and gone did you have any luck or extend your trip.

Aaron Blom
05-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Hmm maybe he is still in the Bull River Inn, I know it has happened to me.

model88
05-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Hmm maybe he is still in the Bull River Inn, I know it has happened to me.

I will be driving by the Bull River Inn tomorrow, I will check for him.....:-P

Yeah funny things happen when you stop for "1" in the Bull River Inn ...... :-o

bigben
05-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Hey Model 88 I went there last night nobody home but I did see three grizzlies in his zone hope he is there the bears are on the move

Dirty
06-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Well, I am finally back online after my epic grizzly hunt, I tried typing out a story, but I lost the entire thing before I could post it. I will try to retype it later.

model88
06-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Dirty, saw a guy on the weekend cruising the Quinn in a Rhino, was that you???????

Did you get your bear, was up there all weekend and was tough, didnt see any grizz, lots of blacks tho.

Fisher-Dude
06-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Bono Fortuna Dirty

Anna Fontana Dirty.

Dirty
06-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Sorry I haven’t been on here to post my grizzly hunting story, but I have been too busy with work and other commitments. I am retyping the story, as I tried today, but lost it when I tried to post. I want to thank all the members of the site that have helped me out along the way. Even residents of the Kootenays that have given me valuable information, especially with such a coveted draw. And on to the story…

My hunting partner and I left extremely early on Friday morning and headed for the Koots. After arriving at our destination, after a thankfully uneventful journey, we set up camp, and prepared for the few days we had to hunt. I was extremely excited to try out my new to me binoculars, and dust off my boots. I hadn’t been hunting since fall and was chomping at the bit to get in the field and bloody my hands.

The first night was spend doing tedious reconnaissance, using information gleaned from helpful HBC members. I had never been to the area before, so the information proved to be invaluable, as I wouldn’t have known where to start. We drove around looking for sign and casually glassing the hills, and looking for good spots to pursue further glassing. Although we never saw anything, we were confident that we had developed a good game plan and foundation for the days ahead.

The next morning we were up early and headed into an area where we saw some old sign. The area provided a perfect place to glass, while allowing the ability to stalk in if an animal was spotted. I painstakingly scoured the slope with my binoculars looking for any hint of a bear, when my partner exclaimed that he had a bear in his sites. He quickly gave me references and I honed in on the bear he had spotted.

This bear was an exceptional specimen of a mountain grizzly bear. It was light blonde with silver fingers glistening above its hump. As it casually clambered across the slope, I intently watched as it methodically fed, as bears always seem to do. All the while its silver tips wavered at me in a mesmerizing fashion. This bear was beautiful, and I knew I had to stalk it, yet something seemed out of place. It’s demeanor was particularly irregular, and somewhat paranoid. As I observed it further it seemed like it was nervous, perhaps cautious, more cautious than a bear of this stature should be.

Suddenly I noticed a brown movement coming out of some alder bushes. To my shock, 2 small cubs emerged from the alders. They began to tussle around as the Sow resumed her feeding practices. I was really set back, this was an exceptional bear, and we watched it for nearly an hour before the cubs arrived. Although I was somewhat disappointed I was happy that I had observed the Sow long enough to realize it was a maternal unit. This was a spectacular sight, and I was extremely gracious for my chance to observe them. However, my pursuit was a large boar, which 4-22 is famous for, so I decided to resume my search in some of the other locations.

We bounced around from spot to spot, picking apart the cuts and slopes, looking for that Boar that was proving to be very illusive. We glassed high and low, yet were not rewarded. The rest of the day was filled with these practices, which were proving to be fruitless, besides 1 small black bear. Just before total darkness we decided to call it a night and regroup at camp.
At camp we refueled with food and revamped our strategy. I scoured the maps I had printed off Google Earth and one spot looked enticing. It was off an old overgrown logging road that led into a steep slope or slide area. I thought it would be the perfect area to further the hunt, but was leery about the amount of snow that would be present. However, only morning could prove either of my suspicions correct.

We were up in the dark and head to our destination only to be met by a white welcome mat. Despite the slight bit of snow we were hopeful that we could get into the area I wanted to go. We had good boots and gators, but were somewhat unprepared. We had neglected to bring snowshoes, but trudged on through the wet snow remaining on the old road.

As we progressed the road got thicker and thicker, and we were soon in a battle through a hellish tangle of brush. The patches seemed to get easier and then harder, as we powered through towards our destination. All the while thinking about the area we were going to glass, I was caught off guard when my partner stopped me with his hand. He quietly and calmly informed me that he saw some movement in the thick bushes ahead. Almost simultaneously our senses were overwhelmed by an ungodly stench. All my instincts told me that this was a large boar grizzly bear ahead of us. My heart began to pump rapidly as adrenaline coursed through my veins.
With a bic lighter, I checked the wind and it was thankfully in our favor. On a slight incline, I could see that up ahead there was a clearing on the hill and the road was leading to it. We had about 500 yards to go before we got there. We decided to cautiously pursue the bear, but stay at a distance so we didn’t scare it. We followed it catching glimpses now and then through the thick bush.

As we approached the clearing, I slid off my Eberlestock pack and crept towards the edge of the bushes. I set down my pack and I laid my rifle across it. This was the first full glimpse we got of the bear, and it was an absolutely massive, dark colored bear. An exceptional, if not exceedingly large Mountain Grizzly Bear. However, he was facing fully away from us at about 175 yards. The experience was almost causing me to have a heart attack.

I patiently waited for the bear to turn broadside, and the suspense was killing me. I was shaking like a leaf in anticipation for the shot. The bear meandered to a clearing in the snow and began rooting around. As if it were knowingly positioning itself, it proceeded to get further away from me, only presenting its ass. I was beginning to get anxious as I felt I was losing control of the situation. And before I could do anything the bear madly scrambled like it was shot out of a cannon into the thick brush at the edge of the clearing. I could see trees shaking around and hear it growling and snapping it’s teeth. Clearly some sort of thermal had changed and the bear had winded us. Although I felt defeated I was not prepared to give up.
We quickly scrambled to get up and around the bear, and try and head it off in the thick brush for the hope of a shot. However, it outsmarted us and slipped away into the thick bushes. We felt dejected and disappointed that we were so close but couldn’t make things work. I reflected on what I could have done different, but realized that I wasn’t ready to jeopardize a poor shot on a dangerous animal.

By this time we proceeded to our final glassing location, but came up empty with our search. I was extremely down and out, and we dragged our ass back to the truck and back to the camp for the night.

Our plan for the next morning was to return to the area we had spotted to boar. We trekked in and saw some new tracks in the snow, but we couldn’t catch a break. We glassed, and once again came up empty handed. Not ready to give up, we started pin balling back to other glassing spots, looking for another glimpse of a bear. However, we were unable to see anything but a few more black bears, which was rather disappointing for a region that is renown for large and abundant grizzly bears.

Monday morning, we traveled to the spot of the encounter, but were once again met with emptiness and failure. We were unable to hunt the rest of the day, and had to head back to camp and take it down. With the truck packed we traveled down the main forest service road, in the direction of civilization. However, during our travel we were unprepared with what would happen next……..

todbartell
06-03-2009, 10:47 PM
good story, I dont think I've read so many fancy big words since high school!

Gateholio
06-03-2009, 10:56 PM
C'mon, keep going....

40inchtwister
06-05-2009, 11:29 AM
????????????????????????????????????????

Dirty
06-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Is this still going? You confessed multiple times to not having the draw. Were you attention starved as a child? The epic multi-page report has been done. Namely by BCrams and bartell. You can not duplicate this level of intraweb fame.

Jealousy rears it's ugly head. I guess nobody else on the site wants to hear the rest of my story, or see the pictures. Everybody already hates you, now they are going to hate you even more. You try to belittle people and think you know more than everybody else, but you are just a pathetic excuse of a human. Too bad mothers can't have abortions when their kids are 22.

frenchbar
06-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Jealousy rears it's ugly head. I guess nobody else on the site wants to hear the rest of my story, or see the pictures. Everybody already hates you, now they are going to hate you even more. You try to belittle people and think you know more than everybody else, but you are just a pathetic excuse of a human. Too bad mothers can't have abortions when their kids are 22.

:lol::lol::lol:

Fisher-Dude
06-05-2009, 06:21 PM
good story, I dont think I've read so many fancy big words since high school!

You've gone a whole year without reading big words?

Blainer
06-05-2009, 06:47 PM
C'mon
I was looking forward to the final chapter of the story.I leave for London & Paris on Sunday and was hoping for the conclusion before my holiday.

todbartell
06-05-2009, 06:52 PM
I leave for London & Paris on Sunday

lemme guess - your wife decided where to go for vacation? :p I'd rather go to Toad River and Bella Coola :D

Bowtime
06-05-2009, 06:58 PM
How about you post your pics and I'll post some pics I shot of a grizz last night?? sounds fair to me.

f350ps
06-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Okay Dirty, just sat down and cracked a beer, let her rip!! K

Blainer
06-05-2009, 08:50 PM
lemme guess - your wife decided where to go for vacation? :p I'd rather go to Toad River and Bella Coola :D
Europe holiday approx $10,000
Toad river and Bella Coola holiday approx $12
I'm thinking I could probably afford both,but without a Grizz tag for the later,I just don't see the point.;-)
Thought we would take a break from the sun destinations,and note how holiday is planned between hunting seasons.:lol:

boxhitch
06-05-2009, 09:34 PM
I guess nobody else on the site wants to hear the rest of my story, or see the pictures. Everybody already hates you, now they are going to hate you even more. yer not going to get begging for it. Must be anti-climatic. Good story, too bad things didn't work out.

Ambush
06-05-2009, 09:35 PM
C'mon Dirty, I'm getting too old to stay up late and I love grizzly tales. If you finish tonight, I promise I will think of at least five nasty things that PGK could stand for.;)

killman
06-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Well???????????????????????????????????????????

steepNdeep
06-08-2009, 03:15 PM
With the other great bear trips looks like they forgot about you...

crazysheephunter
06-08-2009, 03:27 PM
C'mon Dirty,lets hear the rest of the story...................sounds exciting, i was up in that area yesterday,and seen a sow GRIZ and 3 cubs, very nice to see.
Even PM me with the ending and pic's,would love to see them.

CT.45
06-08-2009, 04:33 PM
What a crap thread, I have been waiting for days to finish the story, reading all of the posts over and over again.

Blainer
06-08-2009, 11:15 PM
checked in from London
?

ElkMasterC
06-08-2009, 11:21 PM

Sweet.

Dirty
06-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Let's make the ending short but sweet.

After feeling dejected and in the dumps after missing my opportunity on the huge boar. We travelled down the main road, knowing that I wouldn't be able to return to hunt again. Getting an LEH of this caliber really makes a guy want to be successful. I casually glanced at the openings in the trees, and clear cuts, hoping I could make another grizzly bear appear.

As a lazily daydreamed about my missed opportunity, we came around a blind corner, and my partner exclaimed, "Grizzly, there at the edge of the road". I snapped to reality, and there at the edge of the road, feeding on some luscious grass, was a small grizzly bear. At this point beggars could not be choosers, and I hopped out of the truck with my rifle. Being the optimistic person I am I had it readied, just in case this chance occurrence came to fruition.

I looked it over for cubs, and then lay on the road prone for the shot. It turned broadside and my Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker 300 Win Mag rang out! The Barnes TSX 165grain propelled at roughly 3100fps struck it's mark. The bear leapt upwards, let out a roar, spun about, and crawled for the bushes. However, it never made it to it's destination. With one shot it had been put down for good. I had been successful, in accomplishing my goal of harvesting a boar, however it wasn't very big, but I was still successful. Nose to tail was 6' 7". Being my first bear, I was ecstatic.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/Ovisdallistonei/Bear2June32006.jpg

bighornbob
06-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Congrats on the bear but in the pic it looks like a good sized black bear (brown phase).

BHB

steepNdeep
06-09-2009, 12:43 PM
As a lazily daydreamed about my missed opportunity, we came around a blind corner, and my partner exclaimed, "Grizzly, there at the edge of the road". I snapped to reality, and there at the edge of the road, feeding on some luscious grass, was a small grizzly bear.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/Ovisdallistonei/Bear2June32006.jpg

Congrats on a great lookin' bear!!

However, it's hard to tell from that pic, but that looks a lot like a brown coloured BLACK BEAR! Roman type nose, blackie type fur, & short claws... :eek:

Do you have any other pics??? Claws and/or straight on face shot?

Nice bear regardless!

Slee
06-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Nice black bear! Did you have any luck with your grizz tag?

Dirty
06-09-2009, 12:47 PM
I can assure you that it's a grizzly, however a small one. It kept rolling down the hill, so I had to put a rock under it's belly, so you can't see the hump.

steepNdeep
06-09-2009, 12:52 PM
I can assure you that it's a grizzly, however a small one. It kept rolling down the hill, so I had to put a rock under it's belly, so you can't see the hump.

Got any other PICS???

Dirty
06-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah my hunting partner has more pictures. I think that I took it to the compulsory inspector Mark4 took his sheep to and he said it was a grizzly too.

40inchtwister
06-09-2009, 12:57 PM
that is not a grizz

rocksteady
06-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I had been successful, in accomplishing my goal of harvesting a boar, however it wasn't very big, but I was still successful. Nose to tail was 6' 7". Being my first bear, I was ecstatic.

Irregardless of what your wife tells you...SIZE DOES NOT MATTER !!!!

A 6'7" grizz is still about 6'6" more than most hunters have on their wall....

Still a nice bear, don't think lowly of it just cause its not a Booner....

Congrats...

Dirty
06-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Irregardless of what your wife tells you...SIZE DOES NOT MATTER !!!!

A 6'7" grizz is still about 6'6" more than most hunters have on their wall....

Still a nice bear, don't think lowly of it just cause its not a Booner....

Congrats...

Thanks Rocksteady, I appreciate it.

rocksteady
06-09-2009, 01:08 PM
How about we cut dirty a break here, give him the benefit of the doubt PRIOR to crucifying him, based on 1 fairly poor lit photograph....He says he has more pictures, lets wait til he can post them before you try to bend him over the internet stump...

Maxx
06-09-2009, 01:16 PM
great bear, congrats!

06-09-2009, 02:35 PM
How about we cut dirty a break here, give him the benefit of the doubt PRIOR to crucifying him, based on 1 fairly poor lit photograph....He says he has more pictures, lets wait til he can post them before you try to bend him over the internet stump...

I agree,,,,,,,,, Jeeze you guys....!

Nice bag dirty.

40inchtwister
06-09-2009, 02:46 PM
we have to give him grief after making us wait for so long

mainland hunter
06-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Thats a great looking black bear! Theres no way in H$ll that its a grizzly. Sorry dude but if you spent much time in the area you would know a grizzly when you saw one. You should trade hides with that guy who shot a grizzly with a black bear tag last fall.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26973

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/100_1476.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10849)
That bear came through my shop last year and I garauntee you that it's a black bear. there's a side profile of the head in that thread, clearly roman along with short tight curved claws. grizzly coloration for sure but if you saw the hide up close there's no question it's a black.

bigben
06-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Good job there Dirty not one of the ones I saw but nevertheless an outstanding bruin................an experience eloped with the sights of the beauty of nature and the suspense of the unknown leading to the accomplishment of fulliment to bask in the glory of success .......well done and many more hunts to embark on ............... Bono fortuna

Slee
06-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Hey Dirty,

Did you ever end up buying new binos?? if so what did you go with? And how did they work out on your bear hunt?

Bowtime
06-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Nice grizz dirty. Looks like a good size head to be only 6'7''. another tagged punched.

Trapper
06-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Congrats Dirty...how far up the Bull were you when you got your bear?

gbear
06-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Congrat's on your bear. Glad you were able to connect on one.

Ambush
06-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Congratulations on getting a good bear there Dirty. I've heard that some of them mountain grizzly's claws get wore way down digging in the rocks for marmots. Kind'a looks like your's is one of them.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Fisher-Dude
06-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Congratulations on getting a good bear there Dirty. I've heard that some of them mountain grizzly's claws get wore way down digging in the rocks for marmots. Kind'a looks like your's is one of them.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

That bear went in for the manicure and facial treatment in the back room at the Bull River Inn. All style-conscious grizzly bears in the EK do.

model88
06-09-2009, 08:44 PM
That bear went in for the manicure and facial treatment in the back room at the Bull River Inn. All style-conscious grizzly bears in the EK do.

F-D, you sayin somethin about the women that frequent the Bull River Inn lmao.........:eek:

PGK
06-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Oh hey, looks like I was right.

steepNdeep
06-10-2009, 05:45 PM

Here's a pic of the claws of Dirty's bear and a mountain grizz from a similar area (a bigger bear). Looks like the salon girls had the grinder out... :wink:

http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/grizz-blackie-claws.jpg

Here are some links from another post on grizz VS blackies:

Great lookin' bear! What did he measure?

870 - Check this out for grizz / blackie differences:

http://www.glacieradventure.com/play/Wildlife/beartest.htm

OR

http://www.bearaware.bc.ca/bears/bears_content_grizzly3bbb.html

Here's another quiz for griz vs. blackies: http://www.centerforwildlifeinformation.org/BeBearAware/Bears_of_North_America/BearTest/beartest.html

Sometimes it's hard to tell. At least it wasn't the other way around...

Dirty
06-10-2009, 09:04 PM
I just wanted to inform all the concerned members that viewed and posted in this thread that it is in fact a hoax. I never had the draw, and I never went grizzly hunting. I was inspired by the complainers from the Kootenays last year, that were upset that they couldn't get a grizzly draw, and were mad that out of towners were getting the draw.
The 3 dedications I would like to make:
1) To the Kootenays boys, I hope you enjoyed it
2) The members that put in for draws in areas they have never been to and then panic and post on here to get exact information for how to fill their draw
3) The guys that get mad when other people get LEHs and they didn't.

ryanb
06-10-2009, 09:47 PM
I just wanted to inform all the concerned members that viewed and posted in this thread that it is in fact a hoax. I never had the draw, and I never went grizzly hunting. I was inspired by the complainers from the Kootenays last year, that were upset that they couldn't get a grizzly draw, and were mad that out of towners were getting the draw.
2) The members that put in for draws in areas they have never been to and then panic and post on here to get exact information for how to fill their draw

Thanks for wasting my time...:rolleyes:

steepNdeep
06-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Reading a few of your past posts I didn't think you knew much about hunting, so it wasn't a stretch that you screwed up your tag...

Keep building the resume... a wanna-be and a good liar. :tongue:

todbartell
06-10-2009, 10:16 PM
SMithers are they booing me?
Nnnn, no. They're saying boourns, boourns.

Trapper
06-10-2009, 10:51 PM
And to think that i took a drive up to the Quinn to scout it out for you.What a waste of time.

model88
06-11-2009, 02:44 AM
And to think that i took a drive up to the Quinn to scout it out for you.What a waste of time.

And I had a few Pilsners in the Bull River Inn doing some scouting for you as well........:eek:

06-11-2009, 08:14 AM
And I had a few Pilsners in the Bull River Inn doing some scouting for you as well........:eek:

Ever hear the "cry wolf" adage Dirty? I'd say you've burned your bridges with the Elk Valley/Cranbrook boys, hope you don't need to ask them for advice again.

Trapper
06-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Ever hear the "cry wolf" adage Dirty? I'd say you've burned your bridges with the Elk Valley/Cranbrook boys, hope you don't need to ask them for advice again.

You got that right

Kody94
06-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Many folks (incl Kechika/UMB) have been banned for less heinous acts than that.

tracker
06-11-2009, 02:20 PM
You "dirty" sob !!!!!!

I think this clown is a leaf licker and should be banned now!!!!:mad:

ElkMasterC
06-11-2009, 02:40 PM
What's a leaf licker, and where do I buy one?

GoatGuy
06-11-2009, 03:17 PM
whahahahaaha:lol::lol::lol:

Ambush
06-11-2009, 06:56 PM
I thought it was a very well writtin story. Quite entertaining. Just some light, easy reading fiction.

Dirty, I'm looking forward to the story of your Kamloops Lake sheep LEH hunt.

Oh yeah, he does have point about some hunters not wanting outsiders hunting in THEIR area.

Aaron Blom
06-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Hmm sounds like the only people to get anything from this thread were the owners of the Bull Inn. Good on you guys for stopping there it is the best pub in BC. Wish i could get out there more often, great people in there.

12-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Good Job Dirty. You should get together with TheWalkingSlaughterHouse and show him how its done.

12-16-2009, 11:26 AM

Good job Dirty. You could give The WalkingSlaughterHouse a few tips.

watson721
12-16-2009, 09:13 PM
wow :evil: