PDA

View Full Version : new to goat hunting, where to?

husky30-06
04-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Would like to get into goat hunting, will anyone give out a little info on an area that would offer a chance? Hiking is expected just need an area to start in.

Jelvis
04-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Check and see if it's open up the Holmes river this side of McBride in MU 7-3 it's at 53 km west of Tete Jaune Junction. Moose goat and grizzly.
Also 18 km north of McBride on the north side of the Fraser the McKale Creek road, goat hunting from McKale.
Jel - - MU 7-3 Holmes River North. Got your goat? lol good luck.

04-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Find an area with limited access but high numbers, ask C/O's or Biologists.
Do your home work and try to take a billy, Study them, learn the Billy ID as many Nannys are the real leads of the groups. Be CAREFULL they are un-nerving at times and un-retrievable in many places so don't shoot unless you know you can get em.
good luck
CT

leadpillproductions
04-03-2009, 10:58 PM
if you every head up to the chetwynd area im heading in to a place in late august for 2 weeks

Krico
04-03-2009, 11:22 PM
I would advise you ignore Jelvis>>>7-03 is LEH>>>not a whole lot of tags, or goats>>>very tough to hunt>>>better to try elsewhere>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Are you looking for general open season???If so, go north. Way north. As in Stone's Sheep north. Lots of very good goats get passed on year after year as guys hold out for a ram. For LEH areas the north coast area has probably the highest density of goats in BC... those mountains are nasty. Have heard some good things about the Kootenays.

husky30-06
04-03-2009, 11:28 PM
surpriseing, jelvis hit a good spot. granted the area is LEH, the odds were not to bad and the take for last year was 75%.... but again we are looking for any places that can be looked at and go from there. thanks for the input and I use google earth a great deal and will look at any area on there for more of a visual aspect. Thanks again guys

ape
04-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Check and see if it's open up the Holmes river this side of McBride in MU 7-3 it's at 53 km west of Tete Jaune Junction. Moose goat and grizzly.
Also 18 km north of McBride on the north side of the Fraser the McKale Creek road, goat hunting from McKale.
Jel - - MU 7-3 Holmes River North. Got your goat? lol good luck.

This whole area is LEH. I know some great spots in this area but I have yet to tag out in here so in order to get info would require bamboo shoots and other torture devices. Seriously. Naw I could give out a little if you like.

hannibal
04-04-2009, 10:08 AM
All you successful sheep hunters should give up the goat info. I want to make this year my first goat year as well. :biggrin:

04-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Odds are pretty good for drawing a tag in spatsizi park. Just like Krico said, head up to stone sheep country. There`s quite a few in there and I bet most are past up with guys holding out for a sheep. Let me know if you put in and get the draw.

husky30-06
04-04-2009, 03:06 PM
what region would that be in??????

Jelvis
04-04-2009, 04:28 PM
If you want trophy class 11 + inchers you gotta hit the Babine, friend-a-mine.
That's the famous area for the rocky mtn goats billy. Let's see now
MU 6-7 This MU is rich with game, good goat and bear pop's to the north.
access from Smithers the Babine Lake road. Some access from Hazelton on the east side of the Skeena river.
Check this out on your fancy google earth system -lol.
Oh yah excellent moose along the southern edge --- "extra extra"
Jel - - - MU 6-7 Babine River - the north part for goat - southern edge moose -- >

04-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Spatsizi park is in region 6 south of dease lake. There are no vehicles allowed though so its either a float plane or two feet and a heartbeat.

Rackmastr
04-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Not sure whether its LEH or not (I'm in Alberta) but 7-38 has quite a few goats in it and most are in pretty accessible spots and can be spotted from roads....

Long ways back there no doubt though!

Jelvis
04-04-2009, 07:04 PM
You live in the lower mainland so why would you go to extreme distances to get your goat? If your going by leh lucky draw than pick one that you feel is the one to start hunting goats on then expand if need be from there next year etc. If it's close you can scout it, hike it, hunt it -- KaPOW~!
No one likes driving for hour upon hour so how about region 2.
MU 2-11 upper Lillooet River LEH for goat in the Meagre Mt area.
Or region 3
MU 3-16 -- Lillooet - Cayoosh Creek from Lillooet Lake - off that
Lots of LEH LUCKY DRAWS @ your finger tips - let the chips fall -- BAM!
Jelly-Cayoosh-Yippity-Yi-Yay-Rocky Mountain Goats -- near you -- POW!
Google that!

PGK
04-04-2009, 07:42 PM
The reason 7-03 gets high connect rate like said 75% is because most of the shooters are repeat hunters who know the area well. I haven't seen this year's number first hand but could well believe it is 75%. It's been higher in the past. 7-03 is tough for newbies, ask me I know. You got to do a lot of exploring out there before you can even start to plan a hunt.
If I had the resources, I would go to region 6. Highest goat populations, biggest goats, and lowest pressure.

BCrams
04-06-2009, 09:16 AM
You got to do a lot of exploring out there before you can even start to plan a hunt.

Not a hard area to find goats. You just gotta go hunt once you're drawn. Get up into some of the nastiest stuff you can find and they'll be there. Each zone is small enough that it shouldn't take more than a day or two to figure out where the goats are or find them. There are several places off the roads that access 7-03 LEH areas where you can glass up billies or see upwards of 20 goats and others which require a good hike to get into. There's one spot where you're guaranteed to see good billies, but unless you're a mountain goat yourself or the goat comes down low enough to shoot, you're hooped.

HD95
04-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Excellent Rams;Good on you for offering-up useful information like that,thats how a quality hunting forum should work.

BCrams
04-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Excellent Rams;Good on you for offering-up useful information like that,thats how a quality hunting forum should work.

I should probably add that is isn't necessarily an easy place to get a goat. ;) But for the most part, anyone who's willing to put a bit of an effort in should be able to have a good hunt.

husky30-06
04-06-2009, 09:25 PM
thanks for that info bcgoat.... i was loking through the regs yeaterday... i thought i read that there is an open season for goats in region 7A. why is there such talk about LEH? am i missing something??????
also if i see a billy way up there... i will bend over bare a$$ed and let him chase me just to get the big one:lol:

04-06-2009, 09:35 PM
30/06
That last comment sounds like it might be painful, or nasty any way!

Go get em, I have found the success on a Billy more or just as gratifying as a Good Ram, They sure can test your nerve, guts and rational thinking in the places they can live.
Be careful and good luck to you.
CT

husky30-06
04-06-2009, 09:42 PM
30/06
That last comment sounds like it might be painful, or nasty any way!

Go get em, I have found the success on a Billy more or just as gratifying as a Good Ram, They sure can test your nerve, guts and rational thinking in the places they can live.
Be careful and good luck to you.
CT

sacrifice, sacrifice.... that is the key.......... isn't it?????LOL

PGK
04-06-2009, 09:48 PM
thanks for that info bcgoat.... i was loking through the regs yeaterday... i thought i read that there is an open season for goats in region 7A. why is there such talk about LEH? am i missing something??????
also if i see a billy way up there... i will bend over bare a$$ed and let him chase me just to get the big one:lol:

There are some open areas, but 7-03 is all on LEH if I remember correctly. If you look at the maps, all the areas in 7-03 are designated ''open to goat LEH holders only'' or something like that. There may be small bits of 7-03 that are open on GOS that I have forgotten about, but they are the exception more than the rule.

MOWITCH SLAYER
04-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Have a look at French creek on the gold stream (Revelstoke Dam). It's all LEH but the odds are good and so are the goat numbers.

Jelvis
04-06-2009, 10:19 PM
How far do you want to travel? If it's anywhere, no problem but if your strapped for time or money stay within reason and go leh closer to home.
Simple as eating apple pan dowdie. KISS Keep it simple stupid-oh --
Hey husky I'm not callin you stupid brah, it's just a saying, an acronym-lol.
Jel -- K.I.S.S.-- lol -- tirty odd 6. Goats live in very steep places -- lol

husky30-06
04-06-2009, 10:24 PM
There are some open areas, but 7-03 is all on LEH if I remember correctly. If you look at the maps, all the areas in 7-03 are designated ''open to goat LEH holders only'' or something like that. There may be small bits of 7-03 that are open on GOS that I have forgotten about, but they are the exception more than the rule.

there are selected areas in 7-4 and 7-3 that are closed except for permit holders. but on one of the areas jelvis mentioned is not on this list.....but have you been into or know anything about McKale creek?

PGK
04-06-2009, 10:28 PM
there are selected areas in 7-4 and 7-3 that are closed except for permit holders. but on one of the areas jelvis mentioned is not on this list.....but have you been into or know anything about McKale creek?

I poked around there a bit, but to be honest it's been a while and all that country looks the same so I have a hard time remembering the difference between the McKale and the Holmes :lol: 7-03 isn't high on my priority list anymore. BCrams will know it a lot better than me.

husky30-06
04-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I poked around there a bit, but to be honest it's been a while and all that country looks the same so I have a hard time remembering the difference between the McKale and the Holmes :lol: 7-03 isn't high on my priority list anymore. BCrams will know it a lot better than me.

thanks!!!!!!!