PDA

View Full Version : whens the right time?

born2hunt
04-03-2009, 08:36 PM
hey myself and my family are in a discussion on our 12yr old lab he is showing signs of his age starting to be a hinderence along with the normal arthritis and hip problems coupled with the fact he has suffered with mylopathy since birth( a rare neurological disorder in chocolate labs ) although he does not whine when he moves i believe he hurts . I 'm trying to convince the family that i'd rather put him to rest before he gets to bad than to watch him slowly get worse.They disagree or they just dont want to loose him. at what point would you guys make the decision to have yours put to rest.or would you let him live his life out to the end?

000buck
04-03-2009, 08:42 PM
you will know when the time is right I made the descision to let my pal go just after he turned thirteen, he stopped being a lab and just layed around alot sleeping, he lost control of his bladder and his eyes started to grey. It hurt more to see him live than to put him down, at least thats what i thought at the time I miss him alot and its been 2 1/2 years.

The Dawg
04-03-2009, 08:45 PM
There is no right answer to this....when I lost my dog 3 years ago, he let me know he was ready. Your dog will do the same too...

orion
04-03-2009, 09:44 PM
This is such a tough decision. I was in the same boat as you a year and half ago. Our 14 yr. Brittany was my perfect hunting companion and my two boys grew up with him as a close family member. He developed problems similar to your dog and was very stoic through all of it. Each time the boys came home I tried to prepare them by telling them could be the last time they see "Tuffy". When I finally made the decision they were well prepared. I also realized afterwards that that I should have made the decision much sooner as prolonging the decision only caused him unnecessary pain. It is really important that your family realizes that a dog's ancestry and instincts prevent him from showing pain when in actual fact his daily life can be very pain ridden. Your vet should also be able to give you some support in your decision. Like 000Buck I miss him everyday but I'm glad that I didn't let nature take its course.

Pete
04-04-2009, 06:17 AM
For 17 1/2 wonderful years my old Chessie, Belle, was my constant companion. In the end it all boiled down to the quality of life. Old Dog was failing rapidly. One sping day the Vet. came to the house and under the pear tree on her favorite blanket she was laid to rest. Out of respect for the old gal I had her cremated and when the time comes her and I will walk that road together.

Marc
04-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Most of you know I just had Nash my 12 year old Labrador put down on the 24th of March. Was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. He had lost a lot of weight in a 3 month span and was getting weak. His breathing was getting harder and he was panting a lot. He also started to drool and bleed from his mouth.

I called the vet and made an appointment to have him put down, and then informed my wife on my decision. She was mad as hell because she said " I thought we would make the decision together". I had brought up the subject of taking him in to be put down a few times and it was obvious that she didn't want to get him put down, but unfortunately it was the dogs time to go.

We spent the last day with Nash and he spent his last night in the bedroom with us on his dog bed. I think this was when my wife realized that having him put down was now the right thing to do. I knew I had to forced her hand, but before we took the dog in I said to her " I need to know that you agree with this " and she agreed in fact he was suffering and would be better off being put down.

We both cried our eyes out, he lived a full and happy life right to his last breath. Would he have lived longer? I don't think he would of had more then a couple of weeks left before he would have died from the cancer. My biggest concern is that if we didn't get him put down when we did that his condition would deteriorate to the point something would of happened when we were at work and he was in grave pain and suffering.

Every case is different and in the end it's the owners decision of when to have to put a dog down. It'll probably be one of the hardest decisions you'll ever have to make. As hard as it can be, it has to be the best decision for the dog and not the people who own it and love it.

Something that was reassuring just before we had Nash put down was the vet said " we don't do this for the wrong reasons" in other words we don't put down dogs that can be fixed or because people don't want them anymore.

Good luck with your decision.

Marc.

bruin
04-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Last October I had to put down my 10 year old black lab. He had been having health troubles for several months but was still getting around ok. He had cancer and an autoimmune disease. Even when he was in some pain he seemed to really enjoy life and being around his family was enough. He sometimes even tried to play which never failed to bring a tear to my eye. Like the guys have said, its all about quality of life and you will know when to make the decision. Remember that it is about his comfort and happiness and not how much you don't want to lose him.

born2hunt
04-04-2009, 10:14 AM
hmm..........................

7mag700
04-04-2009, 11:27 AM
When Tequila, my constant companion for 12 years, started getting more aggressive and protective last year I wondered if she was in pain. 4 months later I had to put her down - she had bowel cancer. She showed no pain until almost the very end. Sometimes a change in your dog's temperment is a clue.

There was nothing I wouldn't have done to try to prolong her life, but by the time the tests and symptoms showed what was wrong it was too late.

She was a trooper and I doubt she would have wanted to go any sooner, her quality of life was still very good. Even if she was in some pain all she asked was to be lifted into the truck rather than jumping in like she used to, and to get to sleep on our bed once in a while instead of hers.

RIP Tequila.

7m7

dutchie
04-04-2009, 11:03 PM
The dog has it`s main master in the family and you know who that is... this usually means this person spends the most time with the dog and this person will know best.

It is a very tough decission but when the dog is suffering it is not a good life for a dog and that is when it is time to step in and show the dog how much you love it.

Our family had to go through this about 12 months ago and it was painfull for us all but it was Dad that spent the most time with her. I can`t remember the last time I cryed as much and my dad as aswell but it was in her best interest. This is possible the hardest call to make but you will know when the dog is telling you it has had enough.

I feel for your situation and anyone that makes the choice to leave a dog at the vet that one last time.

Dutchie

Phreddy
04-05-2009, 11:43 AM
As mentioned in previous posts, your dog will let you know when it's time. I found that our german shepherd, Prince, spent a lot of time just lying around, and when he did get up off his bed he'l walk over to me for a head scratch then go back and lie down. He was becoming very bloated, at first we thought it was just fat from lying around, but his ability to spend any time on his feet was just getting s horter and shorter. When we took him to the vet, without even examining him, the vet openly stated that he didn't like what he was looking at, and would know within an hour if it was what he thought it might be.
I was able to spend a half hour with him in the waiting room after the diagnosis was confirmed, and then had to let him go. Tears? You bet. Still miss him? Damned right. Did I make the right decision? I sincerely believe in my heart that I did what was best for Prince, not what was best for me, and hope we'll meet again at the Rainbow Bridge.
Just remember, if you were in your dog's place, woud you want to be kept lingering in pain with no quality of life?
Good luck in your decision.
Fred

moosetaken
04-06-2009, 12:52 PM
I've been in that boat twice in the last 4 years. It's tough to make that decision. Both times I still was soul searching and wondering if I was doing the right thing as I walked into the vets. Both times I knew that if I waited it was me being selfish and not letting go rather than in the dogs best interest. My sympathy, there isn't a harder thing to have to do.

Grief is the price you pay for caring.

Dirty
04-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Putting a dog down is not an easy choice. It is something that you do out of necessity, not choice. When your dog needs to be put down, you will know it. We have had to put down 2 dogs, a Golden Retriever and a Rottweiler. It is something where you know they are on a slippery slope, and one day they just fall off the edge. I wouldn't be putting a dog down without the agreement of the family. It is a tough decision that is irreversible.

hunterofthedeer
04-06-2009, 06:40 PM
its just about time for our chocolate lab to go. He is 15 years old his hips arent what they used to be but he is still active. He follows my brother and i around walk in the bush for hours. It will be a sad day considering i have had him my whole 15 years of life.

born2hunt
04-09-2009, 11:00 AM
thanks guys for all your support:)

johnes50
04-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Our family just went through the same tough decision with our 12 year old Lab/Shepard cross. He was losing weight weak in the hind end, panting, etc.

I suggested 'maybe' putting him down, but my wife said no. We took him to the vet, but nothing could be done for him. My wife basically stayed up with him for 4 days and nights before he passed away on March 23.

We then buried him under a walnut tree, with all his toys, that Grandpa had planted, cause they were good buddies when they were both alive. He was a good dog and protected our house and family. He is missed.

high and to the right
04-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Been there too and it is very painful.

I was impressed with the vet that put our last dog down. We had recently moved and had no prior contact with him. When I called him to bring our dog in he asked that I bring the dog's papers (birth, health records, etc) with me. As I talked to him I found out that he does this because people come in, especially in summer, to put a perfectly healthy dog down because they are going on holidays and don't want to pay for a boarding bill. Sad.

SAVAGE300
04-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Last October my wife and I had to make the same decision with our 14 year old Brutus, for 3 mths all he did was lay around, lost weight and had bad hips and at the end he cried when he moved. It was a Sunday that we made up our minds to take him in on Monday, that Sunday at around noon we went shopping for a couple of hours and when we returned he was not where he was, somehow he got up and went in his doghouse that I built for him 10 years ago and when we found him, he had passed on his own, and that's where he is buried. Even though the ground was moderatly soft, it was the hardest hole I ever had to dig, I still get tears in my eyes just thinking about that day

wolverine
04-09-2009, 12:36 PM
I put down my Yellow Lab, Buck , last year. He was almost 17. I haven't read all the posts in this thread because I find them too sad so excuse me if I repeat what others have already said. Take him to the vet. Have him checked and get the vet's opinion. There may be some medication that you can give him that will ease his pain and allow him a few more years with the family. You'll know when the time is right. You'll see it in his eyes, and when you do then do for him what he would do for you if the tables were reversed and don't feel bad about it because you have then shown him the love and respect that he has earned as a member of your family and your best friend for one final time. I know it's tough. I hope you can find some meds for him. Good luck.

gmcgilli66
04-14-2009, 03:45 PM
We are presently in the same dilemma with our 12 year old lab. "Jett Black Jack" has had a good life, his weight has never been above 78# and he has always been very athletic. We have had him on 2 courses of "Metacam" for inflamation and pain control. He has arthritis in the front shoulders and worn hips in the back end. He seems quite content and happy until kids come around and then he tries to play and run with the young 'uns. Bad move and he's laid up for days.
I don't know how many more times I should put him through this. On a daily basis he's OK. He's losing weight and his appetite is off his regular food. We tried the Dick Van Patten food and it kind of perked him up.
Vet says bloodwork and xrays next time or he won't re-issue the Metacam prescription. Seems harsh to me. Jett's an old boy who isn't going to get better. We just want to ease his last few months. I can't see the sense in the testing to tell me "yes, his back end is worn out, yes he has arthritis, yes the med is hard on his liver." I'll still have to decide to keep or put him down.
So, all of that said, I don't envy your position. Do what's best for the dog when the time is right.
George

born2hunt
04-14-2009, 09:14 PM
i know what your going through to george:( , it's so hard to make the call.. but it's going to be made real soon:(

Spokerider
04-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Yep.........family pet = family decision.....

Otherwise it's a personal decision.....

If done correctly, euthanasia is painless for the pet.

For me, the chief determining factor is when the efficacy of the treatment is no longer, and I have exhausted all other avenues of recourse. When suffering superceeds quality of life, it's time.

born2hunt
05-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Well , one of the hardest things in my life so far was today ,I went to our vet and pre paid to have my faithful lab put down :( even as i write this i have a somber tear ,the time is nearing faster than i thought , As it is now he cant negotiate stairs very well, he struggles to get up, he doesnt whine but i see it in him , I finally figured one thing out tho , I nor any of us in the family can take him in, So i asked my best friend and hunting partner and you know what, he is on the fence about being able to too.It,s sad it's like watching a family member slowly die and you cant do shit.

Phreddy
05-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Do the kindest and most loveing thing for your pup B2H. Take him in and end his pain. Dogs don't usually let you know their in pain like humans, and if he's performing as you describe, believe me he is in pain. It's hard, but that's the best thing a man can do for his old friend.

gmcgilli66
05-25-2009, 08:09 PM
We are presently in the same dilemma with our 12 year old lab. "Jett Black Jack" has had a good life, his weight has never been above 78# and he has always been very athletic. We have had him on 2 courses of "Metacam" for inflamation and pain control. He has arthritis in the front shoulders and worn hips in the back end. He seems quite content and happy until kids come around and then he tries to play and run with the young 'uns. Bad move and he's laid up for days.
I don't know how many more times I should put him through this. On a daily basis he's OK. He's losing weight and his appetite is off his regular food. We tried the Dick Van Patten food and it kind of perked him up.
Vet says bloodwork and xrays next time or he won't re-issue the Metacam prescription. Seems harsh to me. Jett's an old boy who isn't going to get better. We just want to ease his last few months. I can't see the sense in the testing to tell me "yes, his back end is worn out, yes he has arthritis, yes the med is hard on his liver." I'll still have to decide to keep or put him down.
So, all of that said, I don't envy your position. Do what's best for the dog when the time is right.
George
Just an update on "Jett".
Well, we decided to give it a bit of time and wow!! what a difference! he's gained 6 or 7 pounds, wants to play and run with our little schnoodle Gemma and is generally so much better!! We are relieved that we didn't act too hastily. He still has hip and arthritis problems and sleeps a lot but he's our Jett once more!!
I hope that your old boy is resting peacefully !!
My condolences on making such a tough decision.
George