PDA

View Full Version : okanagan bear

adamgarbett
04-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Hey just wondering if anyone has seen any sign of bear anywhere around the okanagan??? i went out wednesday for 12 hours all over the place no sign of bear but i stopped counting at 70+ deer, 16 elk and 3 goat. anybody have any better luck???

Stone Sheep Steve
04-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Weather is finally about to break. Personally, I'd give them about another 10 days to 2 weeks.

SSS

adamgarbett
04-03-2009, 12:21 PM
ya its supposed to be 17 degrees this weekend that should help...i hope.

Gunner
04-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Nothing in the north Okanagan yet, Gunner

Stone Sheep Steve
04-03-2009, 12:37 PM
It might be starting to green up slighlty along the lakeshore of OMP. If you've got access to a boat it might be an idea to cruise the shorline in the afternoon. The park closes on Apr 15th. Long weekend might be worth a shot:-?.
SSS

adamgarbett
04-03-2009, 01:07 PM
WOW i never even thought of that....how far off the shore do u have to be to shoot? Thanx SSS

cuervosail
04-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Where were you seeing the elk?

Stone Sheep Steve
04-03-2009, 03:48 PM
WOW i never even thought of that....how far off the shore do u have to be to shoot? Thanx SSS

I would not want to shoot from a boat just for stability reasons. Legal as long as the motor is tilted up.

I would cruize off shore far enough to get a good view and if you see a bear you want plan your stalk and hit the shore on the downwind side. There are some sweet grassy benches just above the lake level that should be some of the earlier spots to green up. Bears like burn too.:wink:

We did it one yr in early April but the waves got pretty crazy that day.

SSS

doubled
04-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Been out a number of times recently and have not seen any or any sign yet. Should be soon though. There has been new grass coming up so that will help for sure.

tracker
04-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Probally another 3 weeks before we see any bear around here,the snow is still hitting the ground and the temps are below average ... The green up time will be late ....:icon_frow

mark
04-03-2009, 06:29 PM
[quote=Stone Sheep Steve;439432]I would not want to shoot from a boat just for stability reasons. Legal as long as the motor is tilted up.

My understanding is simply kill the engine??? Consider stern drives, and jets ect...
Havnt seen any bear sign yet myself.
Also curious as to where ya seen all the elk??? Any still packing tine???

Stone Sheep Steve
04-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Also curious as to where ya seen all the elk??? Any still packing tine???

Saw (seen:wink:) elk packing while chasing bears in early April.....a few years ago.

You may be right with the motor regs. Never been an issue with me.

SSS

adamgarbett
04-03-2009, 10:01 PM
south okanagan backside of princeton-pentictonish no tines but it was still a cool site to see :biggrin:. I figured id go far south for the early spring action but the ground was still solid as a rock in the riple lake area...

ve7iuq
04-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Don't count on that bit about stopping the boat engine and shooting.
That rule has been around for a very long time and the basis of it was you could not shoot from a power boat.
Then controversy came up about a small boat with an outboard. It was established that a boat with the outboard laying in the boat, was not a power boat. If the outboard was attached to the sten in the usual manner, it was a power boat.
There was no doubt about inboards and jets, they were powere boats, no shooting.
I doubt if the regulations have changed. I haven't recently looked at the rules, but I imagine it still states, no shooting from power boats.

bearhunter338-06
04-04-2009, 08:22 AM
I'd get out in a boat and troll along the shore line, and keep my fingers crossed i dont fall asleep lol

DBM
04-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Quoted from the regs.

Power Boat - means a boat, canoe or yacht
powered by electric, gasoline, oil, steam or
other mechanical means, but does not include
a boat powered manually nor a boat with an
outboard motor provided the motor is tilted
or otherwise disengaged so as not to be ready
for immediate use.

mark
04-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Quoted from the regs.

Power Boat

- means a boat, canoe or yacht
powered by electric, gasoline, oil, steam or
other mechanical means, but does not include
a boat powered manually nor a boat with an
outboard motor provided the motor is tilted
or otherwise disengaged so as not to be ready

for immediate use.

You should also know it’s unlawful:
1. to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or
a boat propelled by a motor.

As soon as you cut the key, the boat is not propelled by a motor. We had this thread a couple years ago, and that was the consensus!

dave_fras
04-04-2009, 10:33 AM
i had one run right in front of my truck last night... near sun valley speedway... just a tiny guy tho

boxhitch
04-04-2009, 11:30 AM
We had this thread a couple years ago, and that was the consensus!Then this interpretation must be true !! Power to the Interweb !

Really, if there were exceptions or allowances, wouldn't they be listed in the regs ?
Further, whats the definition of a motor vehicle ? Running or motor off and no key ?

boxhitch
04-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Oh yea......about the bears, no tracks in the snow where I have been

Fisher-Dude
04-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Quoted from the regs.

Power Boat

- means a boat, canoe or yacht