PDA

View Full Version : Who's seeing velvet.....?

Leaseman
04-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Had to take my son into his ball hockey practice last night and as we passed one of our "deer fields" we saw seven deer close to the road. Four of them had antlers ranging from three to six inches showing.....

Anyone else seeing the growth starting in their areas.....?

doubled
04-03-2009, 04:37 PM
When Jelvis first said this too, I thougt BS but I know you wouldn't pull our legs, right Mike???

Seems early to me but what do I know? I have only seen skin heads so far.

mark
04-03-2009, 06:21 PM
I see lots of deer everyday, Ive been glassing most of them, havnt seen a bump yet.

SteadyGirl
04-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Mulies with bumps near the sullivan mine on Tuesday and Wednesday:mrgreen:

kwasky
04-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Had a buddy tell me he seen a buck with 6 inch spikes of velvet covered antlers.

born2hunt
04-03-2009, 10:47 PM
sure seems early ,

plumbob
04-03-2009, 10:57 PM
seen one mulie with bumps yesterday but have seen lots of moose showing for awhile now.

Allen50
04-03-2009, 11:43 PM
i saw two young bullelk last week near lake cowichan with there antlers still on,, also saw 5 other heards on the way out to the west coast, cows and calfs, was a cool trip, saw about 8 crossing a river, to far to get pic, got some pic of the close heard of elk,,

aletheuo
04-04-2009, 06:14 AM
A buddy was up in a chopper spotting some slash piles last weekend near Fernie and he said they saw lots of bull elk with last fall's headwear. Someone should tell them the styles are changing.

Leaseman
04-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Had to pick up daughter last evening from fiends place here in Aldergrove.... my usual "deer" fields (2) had 19 total between both...... with the binos, seven deer had different lengths......

Dirty
04-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Mike,
Were the deer in velvet, or is it last years head gear still? I saw a buck with my brother yesterday, and he said it had serious head gear still. I just saw the ass-end saying good-bye. I think it was last years gear still because there were some serious rubs, fresh looking, in the area. I am assuming he is trying to get rid of them.

Ambush
04-06-2009, 07:58 AM
[quote=Leaseman;440457]Had to pick up daughter last evening from fiends place here in Aldergrove....

That's careless parenting, to let your daughter hang out with fiends!!

I did some scouting on the weekend. We set up spotting scopes on about a hundred deer and only one had any significant growth. Lot's of younger bucks with fuzzy bumps. We found only one small four point shed.

Leaseman
04-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Dusty-

Definate velvet, took the binos last night.....

Anyone in the area..... check out the fields around 256th & 24th.......

There is a couple of "big" old bucks, lots of character in this general area (torn ears, scared faces etc.) and they were minus head gear at the end of the snow..... watched on for 5 minutes from 10-15 yards...... head gear went early (IMHO) in our area....

newhunterette
04-06-2009, 08:10 AM
[quote=Leaseman;440457]Had to pick up daughter last evening from fiends place here in Aldergrove....[quote=Leaseman;440457]

That's careless parenting, to let your daughter hang out with fiends!!

hehehehehhee no Leasemen has it correct when there are boys in your daughters' lives us parents call them fiends not friends lol hehehehehe

sorry for offtopic back the velvety deer - the deer out here are so domesticated in the farmers fields, their seasonal gages are mixed up

Dirty
04-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Anyone in the area..... check out the fields around 256th & 24th.......

There is a couple of "big" old bucks, lots of character in this general area (torn ears, scared faces etc.) and they were minus head gear at the end of the snow..... watched on for 5 minutes from 10-15 yards...... head gear went early (IMHO) in our area....

Just look for the field with all the arrows sticking out of the ground, right?:tongue:

mark
04-06-2009, 08:18 AM
finally seen/saw, some nubs sprouting in the OK yesterday!

Leaseman
04-06-2009, 08:27 AM
I am happy you guys believe me.... or I was going to start a new thread about "four eared" deer in our area!

Where these deer hang, the property is owned by "tree huggers", I have tried to get permission to several times to shed hunt (there is 2-3 deer that are hogs!!), but no go......:frown:

whitetailsheds
04-06-2009, 08:27 AM
The only velvet up here is on my buddy Creeker's wall, a 4' x 6' velvet Elvis black light poster.

Leaseman
04-06-2009, 08:30 AM
well 20 degree weather yesterday and more to come over the next couple of days have really brought out the deer (and made the damn grass grow).

Now with a weekend of "honey do" pressure washing, pruning and grass cutting done.... I will be off to fish the long weekend between ball hockey games....

bridger
04-06-2009, 09:00 AM
have five mulie bucks in our yard every evening no growth yet. still two of snow on the ground. saw 7 bull elk yesterday all still carrying last years antlers.

Dirty
04-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Those elk are pack rats :lol:. Friends go turkey hunting in the Koots every year and the Elk are running around with gear on still. They usually find a few freshies though.

Red Foreman
04-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I saw about 35 mulies on the weekend,no bumps.

Jelvis
04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
All antlers are off now, every male ungalate has started growing them, your just seeing does and cows if you can't see velvet. imho. Remember male and females seperate during spring and summer, males into batchelor groups and females into moms daughters and sisters, and aunts together until they give birth. If your not seeing velvet your looking at a female or your not looking close enuff. Get as close as you can and use bino's if you have some. Look hard --- BAM!
Jel -- get close -- look hard -- use bino's -- BAM!

blackbart
04-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Saw a mule deer with velvet bumps today. For reference the latest that I have ever seen hard antler on a deer was March 27, 2007. This was a three point with only one antler still on. Ironically, it was in the exact same spot as the buck that I saw today.

It is not all that uncommon to see a herd of elk with the various bulls having a mix of last years antlers and a foot of new velvet antler. Frustrating to go shed hunting and see the bulls still packing!

On a side note I am still waiting for some photo's from more of the shed hunting crowd.

hunter1947
04-07-2009, 04:18 AM
Saw a buck yesterday he came walking up our drive way ,he had about 4 inch growth on his antlers.

bearass
04-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Those elk are pack rats :lol:. Friends go turkey hunting in the Koots every year and the Elk are running around with gear on still. They usually find a few freshies though.

east kootenay are funny that way.I live in the West Kootenays and one year we were going over to the east kootenays to look for elk sheds around this time of year. We left early in the morning and had seen a bull on the road near salmo that had fresh growth he had brow tines and had started his second tines.

When we got over to the east koots we did find some fresh sheds but there were still seeing some bulls with there gear on . I could,nt believe it.

hunterofthedeer
04-07-2009, 11:37 PM
I seen on deer by itself today on hwy 97 south (pg) didnt have any antler growth. Mabey it was just a doe or mabey it was a buck with no bumps

quackquackbang
04-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Was out with dirtybucker yesterday bear hunting and we seen around 100 deer and some had little stubs on there head!!!