PDA

View Full Version : Yote hunting

Buck_virgin
11-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Anyone know where to go for some coyote hunting in the lower mainland?

Sikanni Stalker
11-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Stanley Park:razz:

ruger#1
11-15-2005, 08:21 PM
in my back yard.i know there are coyotes on nova Scotia. are there any on the island.coyotes are sure cleaning up on Foxes back there, lots of porcupines there to.

slyfox
11-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Boundery bay from 64 to 112 has coyotes.

Marc
11-15-2005, 08:40 PM
No Coyotes that I know of on Vancouver Island, just cougars and wolves.

ruger#1
11-15-2005, 08:43 PM
must be some in Brunswick, they have to pass there to get to nova Scotia.

Marc
11-15-2005, 08:52 PM
They came through new brunswick went into Nova Scotia they even crossed the ice from labrador to the Island of Newfoundland. I'm pretty sure PEI has them too. Not to many places without them. Other animals must be getting them before they can establish thenselves on the Island. I saw a coyote in Delta on my way to Quesnel this fall standing in a field next to the highway.

Marc.

ryanb
11-15-2005, 09:00 PM
I've almost hit them on the runway at Boundary Bay on more than one occasion, sure seems to be plenty of them around there.

Shoey
11-15-2005, 09:04 PM
No Coyotes that I know of on Vancouver Island, just cougars and wolves.

I see coyotes on the island all the time...they're disquised as deer :biggrin:

Buck_virgin
11-15-2005, 09:58 PM
I used to do it in Alberta and it was sooo much fun.......and i heard there r a few on the mianland...if there is anyone out there that does it for fur or fun let me know
slappshiffter@hotmail.com

maddawg
11-15-2005, 10:48 PM
I used to do it in Alberta and it was sooo much fun.......and i heard there r a few on the mianland...if there is anyone out there that does it for fur or fun let me know
slappshiffter@hotmail.com

Well I was brought up to show animals respect - shooting for FUN isnt showing any sort of respect and with the price of Fur these days save your bullets. I agree that there are certain occasions for putting animals down and I have no problem with that as long as its for a GOOD REASON. I believe that there was a previous poster in this forum bragging about popping coyotes - I certainly hope these people dont have pets and if they do, dont mind people taking shots at them for FUN. Man this type of stuff pisses me off... :mad:

lapadat
11-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Interesting name.

Anyway, there are coyotes in and around the lower mainland. Your best bet is to find some farm land (Abbotsford, Chwk, east of mission) and ask a landowner for permission. They are often very happy to have someone come and shoot some coyotes on their land. The key is to find an area that has had little to no hunting pressure as coyotes are extremely wary animals....You skeptics who see coyotes mousing in the medians between hwy 1 will note that they are perfectly safe there. Find a good place to sit ie. downwind, good cover, etc, and remain very still. I have used Olt, Primos and Sceery predator calls and have had the most success with the Sceery line of calls. PM me if you want any other ideas. Remember that much of the Valley is only open to shotgun with shot.

PS the pic was taken on saturday northwest of Calgary. I called in 6 coyotes at three locations within 1 hour. And NO maddawg I was not killing coyotes for the sake of killing.

Lapadat

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_219.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1451&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

Buck_virgin
11-16-2005, 12:36 AM
I was doing the farmers a favor in Southern Alberta (as I had to get permission to get on the land in the first place) and it's extremely helpful for improving your shot, so that in deer season there aren't any oopses.

Coyotes in AB are about the same as rats in BC and are treated accordingly, not cute cuddly pets. There have been instances of coyote predation on children last year in the middle of Calgary. It was fortunate that there was an adult close by to help the kids, but a coyote could certainly kill a small child, just as they do with farmers livestock.

Fred
11-16-2005, 12:45 AM
It is estimated that there are about 10,000 coyotes in the Fraser Valley, just ask any sheep owner! With a population this large they are going after family pets in many areas. The solution, wax them any way you can! Sorry Maddog but they are not cute and cuddly when your pets or babies are endangered!
The problem here is that we are not allowed,under normal circumstances, to shoot them and they know it. Fred

butcher
11-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Yes, coyote hunting is fun. Just like all hunting is fun. It's exciting and difficult to call them and actually hit them when they come in. And fur prices are actually pretty good right now. You can get up to $50 for a coyote pelt in good conditions.

Aside from that coyotes are prolific and a nuisance animal and potentially dangerous to livestock and pets. I get permission from local ranchers to hunt their property for problem coyotes. So go ahead and hunt them. If you want to come to the interior and try give me a call.

PGKris
11-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Those look like some great dogs....what price did you get for them?

lapadat
11-16-2005, 08:22 PM
PG,

I called a local (near Cochrane, AB) buyer and he said that he doesn't want any until Nov 15. I said that it was Nov 12 and 3 days wouldn't make much of a difference, he said that he would give me $10 each - skinned. Not worth the drive to his house. Regardless, the farmer is now my best friend and wants me back.

Lapadat