PDA

View Full Version : Wood Stove for Wall Tents

trucktoys
03-30-2009, 08:18 PM
I am almost done building a wood stove for a wall tent. My question for you guys is what do you recommend? I was going to put detachable legs on it that were about 16" long on it so that the cooking surface was about 28" to 30" high. I thought that would make a nice height for a stew or pot of coffee. My buddy says no, make the legs about 6" so that the stove is just off the ground. Don't wory about making them detachable because 6" legs is not a big deal for transport in a truck. The wood stove is nice and low and stable and hot air rises. For you guys that have used wall tents before while hunting what are your thoughts? Thanks for your input.

Charlie
03-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Since you are making it, why not have both sets of legs, that way you can tailor the stove for the situation? Use threaded black pipe for example.

Hunching over to cook is not going to be fun for you.

sparkes3
03-30-2009, 08:36 PM
the legs on mine are about 6"

jeeper
03-30-2009, 08:44 PM
The legs on Mine are only 4 inches and I wished id gone a bit higher as the ground under the stove dries out and sometimes the grasses start smouldering !

I dont like the stove to high for cooking as Im usually siting in achair drinkin a beer when cooking on it , and its nice to have it low enough to do this comfortably !

If you are using sheet material I would stich weld some 3/4 inch angle iron on the inside to keep the top flat for cooking so that it wont warp with the heat ! And even some on the sides as well !

Bruce

Phil A. Bowl
03-30-2009, 08:46 PM
With the heat these stoves put off chances of removing the legs after a while will be Nil IMHO.Mine is about 6" with folding legs,that i have to straiten all the time! And for a stove pipe try and do something better than telescopic. Mine collapsed a few times on my last trip which is a rude awakening at 12 o'clock.. just a few things to consider.

Kanook Senior
03-30-2009, 08:50 PM
24 inch high stove with 6" legs works great, made up a steel square tube frame that fits in box with stove and pipes, elbows. all packs away quite nicely. Use the stove box for dry food storage in camp. Keeps mice out of everything.
Yours In Hunting

Goliath
03-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Weld black pipe couplings (or caps) to the bottom of your stove for a point of attachment. Bring a set of 4" and 2" nipples and couplings on your next trip. This will give you all the flexibility you need to meet any condition.

trucktoys
03-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks I had not thought that the heat might make it hard to unscrew the legs. I was going to put a flat spot on the leg so I could put a wrench on them if they got a little stiff. Do you think that would deal with getting them off? I like the idea of maybe making 2 sets of legs or something that allows me to make them longer. I also never thought about getting too close to the ground that the grass would start to smoke. As far as the cooking surface I welded 1/4" plate so that I had a nice flat cooking surface.

Tron
03-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Here are some of the pic's of the Kwik Kamp stove I bought. Maybe it will help with some ideas. The legs are 12" long and are pipe with threaded rod welded into 1 end. Then to the base of the stove you can just see them in the pic that it has a protrusion with the corrisponding nut welded on the inside. A little high temp never seize and I had no problem removing them.
It was a package and came with the side tray and a 3 gallon hot water tank with a tap that hooks to the side which was great. The stove has a great damping system as well and I could get it to burn all night to just keep the tent above freezing with -10 outside. When the damper was open a 1/4 inch the tent would be above 20deg celcuis.

The stove pipe is telescoping and I relized after that instead of telescoping it out to length and the possibility of it falling in on its self that that feature is only for storage. You are supposed to take each piece and put the small end into the big end of the other. Then it goes from small to big with out falling in on its self and I gain another 2-3' in length.
All of this fits inside the stove for travel. Its 70lbs but works great. The plate its sitting on in the tent is to prevent fire and to stop from heating the ground, to reflect the heat back into the tent. The plate is on bricks.
Hope this helps.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff117/Tron28/P6130003.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff117/Tron28/P6130002.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff117/Tron28/Mycomfytent.jpg

trucktoys
03-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Wow....Nice stove!!!! I think the way they have bent a tab on the bottom to weld the nut to keeps the threads a little cooler. I like that idea. Thanks for the great pictures!!!! Mine has been made from scraps that I could find. It ain't gonna be pretty when done. My door is very similar. I did a threaded air vent.... I cut four 1" holes and put a bolt in the center of the holes sticking out in the door and then cut a round plate that is threaded in the middle. Spins on. I talked to an old timer and he suggested having the pipe come out the side of the wall tent. I noticed yours went straight up. Any leaks??? is there a chunk of tin in your ceiling to protect the material (Fabric) from the heat of the pipe??

hunter1947
03-31-2009, 05:43 AM
If I was doing this job I would have 4 ,1/2 iron thread pipe nipples to go on the bottom.

You can buy nipples that are 6 inches long ,try that for height and if you want to try the stove up higher just add a coupling to each leg and a four more 6 inch nipples or even longer pipe nipples.

Stresd
03-31-2009, 07:15 AM
I welded threaded females onto mine so that we could screw in the handles and legs. Makes it easy to pack a hot stove outside when breaking camp. This puppy is an all night burner. Stoke in the morning when leaving, dampen her down, and she is still embering when you get back that night to a reasonably warm tent.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/Stresd/argyS.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/Stresd/SS4.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/Stresd/Stove1.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/Stresd/5SS.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/Stresd/ss3.jpg

LYKTOHUNT
03-31-2009, 07:55 AM
As far as the smoke pipe goes I would put it out of the roof,so the pipe is straight I think it keeps it clear of creosote, is easier to keep stable, we wire ours to the stove on the inside and outside because it always seems to get very windy in November when we use ours. I like the neoprene stove pipe flanges the best,they can be sewed into the canvas and do not worry about a leak or two.

SHACK
03-31-2009, 03:57 PM
I also have the Kwik kamp stove (blaze model) and find it to be one of the best units Ive used or seen. A true air tight, and as mentioned a great "burner" with good damper system.
I would definetly not have my stove just inches above ground unless you like the smell of cooking soil and tinder in your tent. All my stoves sit off the ground about a foot. This way you dont have to bend over as far to load it up as well as cook on it. It also is a good spot to warm up some food/left-overs undeneath the stove when its a bit further off the ground.

David Heitsman
03-31-2009, 09:18 PM
I have brought in several Cylinder stoves from Utah. (Google 'em)

I have had mine now for 6 - 7 years and have been bringing them in for the Wild Sheep Show and my friends ever since. I use the mid size stove and it keeps a 14 X 16 wall tent warm inside at 15 below. I have never had a complaint from anyone yet.

If you can fill it up good with quality wood, it will last most of the night.
I cook the majority of the meals on it and also use the jacket for getting and keeping hot water.

I had a small circular glass door installed just for flame/flicker effect. It stands about 32 ish inches high. The dog likes to sleep under it. If it was any lower you'd be scorching the ground or your fire barrier.

It has a stove pipe dampener and a door sliding dampener.

trucktoys
03-31-2009, 11:06 PM
I just wanted to take a minute and thank everyone for their help. The pictures were great. I will take your input and complete the stove tommorrow. I like the idea of a cylinder stove, but was using scraps to build the stove. I wanted to build something to try, so I wanted to keep material costs down. I will spend a few minutes looking at how I can do some sort of system to move the stove out when hot for camp break down...good idea for handles. I hope to give it a test burn this weekend. Thanks everyone!!!!

Tron
04-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Having the stove pipe go out of the roof keeps the draw going a bit better as well. When it rained I had the odd drip hit the stove. The flap that it goes through I believe is a silicone base matterial that can be sown in to the tent. Give deluxe wall tents a call. They did the one in the roof of mine. It seals pretty well around the stove pipe to keep the weather out. Good luck