PDA

View Full Version : Sheep hunters-Internal or External Pack???

CSG
03-29-2009, 10:51 PM
What do you guys use for packs when sheep hunting. Internal or External? You guys with internals have problems ripping your pack when you are packing out an animal? Do you have problems getting a whole animal latched onto your pack??

Any other thoughts on the subject are welcome.

rand
03-29-2009, 11:16 PM
I like the pack with a pack frame.You can take the pack off the frame and use it for packing out meat,horns and being able to tie down to the frame for long packs.With internal almost every thing is in side, xeternal you can lash horns,tent,gun all to the frame making it easy to get into the guts of your pack.

kootenayelkslayer
03-30-2009, 12:39 AM
External all the way. And don't let anyone tell you any different :razz: I use an external for most of the reasons Rand previously mentioned; you never run out of places to strap something onto when you're using a frame.

Maxx
03-30-2009, 09:51 AM
I personally use an internal frame, I find it more comfortable when putting on lots of miles. However, I do agree that for heavy loads, the external is better,

As for the question of ripping the pack , no a problem for me in 4 seasons of heavy use. I have a Kifaru so I could pack the animal on the outside, but usually only the horns are strapped to the exterior of the pack. It does have a "chair", that I do use for lighter items, but it is too low on the pack to carry heavy weight IMO,.

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu342/altai1970/DSC00895.jpg

crazysheephunter
03-30-2009, 10:22 AM
I actually use both, depending on the hunt.They both have there ups and downs,for the sheep,definitley the internal,big 4500 cubic in. or bigger is awesome, specially on the long 5-10 day hunts.External for the Elk Hunting, to support them heavy loads.

pitbell
03-30-2009, 10:51 AM
I use both. For packing really heavy loads or packing quarters, an external frame is nice. But for extended backpack trips the internal frame is far more comfortable imo. Also I find most external frame packs catch on everything and can throw you off ballance when climbing the steep stuff.
My pack of choice is the Mystery Ranch G7000.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm51/bcandbeyond/MysteryRanch-1.jpg

ElectricDyck
03-30-2009, 11:33 AM
I haven't packed anything over 60 pounds with my new pack yet, but here's a few picks of people that have.

http://www.eberlestock.com/Testimonials.htm

Kirby
03-30-2009, 12:06 PM
I had an external as my main pack for years, and really liked it, however last year I switched over to an Eberlestock, I still have the external and for moose, elk quarters, it will still get use, however for extended backcountry trips I now rely on the internal frame. Much more comfortable, and never ran out of space. Although it is undergoing some customization at this time to make it pack a bit better.

Biggest thing I find is make sure its comfortable, nothing ruins a hunt like pains and sores that keep you from wanting to go hunting.

Kirby

ThinAir
03-30-2009, 04:16 PM
External - moose,elk

Internal- everything else

IMO:)

BCbillies
03-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Internal for sheep/goat hunting. Buy big and buy quality and you won't regret it. I have the Kifaru Longhunter 7200 CI (117 litre) and I really like how it handles 125 lbs.

gerrygoat
03-30-2009, 05:48 PM
I have an external frame pack made by Stearns (Mad Dog Gear) I can pack a lot of stuff on the outside and on a sheep trip I strap my big day pack on it for some of my extra gear It has worked out well so far when I go out hunting for the day I leave the extras at camp. I'm pretty happy with my pack so far I think I have had it 4 seasons now and it has packed some heavy loads. It is quite comfortble too.

1/2 slam
03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Have used both. I prefer the internal (Kifaru Longhunter) for sheep and the external for the rest.

whitetailsheds
03-30-2009, 06:26 PM
17 sheep trips with the Wilderness Wanderer has done me well.