PDA

View Full Version : first ever on a dry fly

000buck
03-29-2009, 10:34 AM
well i took up fly fishing a couple years ago, long learning curve for this sport. I have been dragging around various wet flys and caught a few nice rainbows in the cowichan river with bead head nymphs during a caddis hatch. Last night I was dragging an egg sucking leach and did quite well but at about 1800hrs the fish just stopped biting. after about 10 - 15 mins the wind died and the lake went dead flat. Instantly the swallows appeared and started skiming the lake and fish were popping all around me so i quickly changed to a floating line and a mosquito dry fly. Second cast I saw a fly skim across the water and stop right beside my dry fly then suddenly the water opened and both flies disappeared. a quick hook set and the rest is dinner. Wow it was incredible to watch it first hand and I can officially say I'm hooked on it, what a drug....

358win
03-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks OOObuck. Just what I need to hear. Digging out the driy fly's now.

BlacktailStalker
03-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Nice work, they're a lot of fun.
I really like fishing chironomid emergers in the surface film, never know if its going to be a "sip" or if they'll half emerged and take it down !

Sasquatch
03-29-2009, 10:34 PM
WTG! First fish on a dry is a memorable occasion. It's easy to get hooked on the visual thrill of watching the take.

Sounds like you're going to have some fun this summer, now that you're getting the hang of it.

Bow Walker
03-30-2009, 08:11 AM
000B...Yup, it's a huge rush! Good for you.

Have you tried tying your own flies yet? Now that's a kicker. I tied a couple on a rainy afternoon and then went out in the canoe the next day to try them. Got a nice one for dinner. ALMOST (but not quite) better than sex.

BCKID
03-30-2009, 08:48 AM
I to got stung by the fly fishing bug a few years ago. Got all geared up and love it. I just spent a few $100 on tying gear and having fun with that. I have taken a few bows on a dry fly and it's a blast. BCKID

Tarp Man
03-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Oh, man. What a rush that is. I am one of those guys who has trouble concentrating on hunting if there are fish rising! It is a lifelong pursuit that can get as involved as you want, up to and including tying your own flies and building your own rods. Congrats on the catch and have fun!

Fisher-Dude
03-30-2009, 08:12 PM
For every fish on the surface, there will be 10 feeding below when the chironies are hatching. You'll slay them using a strike indicator and long leader with a beadhead chirony.

But, gettin' them on a dry is a total rush! You're hooked!

kastles
03-30-2009, 10:28 PM
I remember my first surface strike. She got away but watching the hit was great. And it also feels good when one hits something you have tied yourself. I was just screwing around when I dropped my home-spun Doc Spratly, the un-spratly-est one you ever did see, in Weaver Lake. The trout I caught on it I kept cause I wanted its genes out of the gene pool.

kastles

GoatGuy
03-31-2009, 12:34 AM
For every fish on the surface, there will be 10 feeding below when the chironies are hatching. You'll slay them using a strike indicator and long leader with a beadhead chirony.

But, gettin' them on a dry is a total rush! You're hooked!

It's a bobber :roll:

GoatGuy
03-31-2009, 12:35 AM
well i took up fly fishing a couple years ago, long learning curve for this sport. I have been dragging around various wet flys and caught a few nice rainbows in the cowichan river with bead head nymphs during a caddis hatch. Last night I was dragging an egg sucking leach and did quite well but at about 1800hrs the fish just stopped biting. after about 10 - 15 mins the wind died and the lake went dead flat. Instantly the swallows appeared and started skiming the lake and fish were popping all around me so i quickly changed to a floating line and a mosquito dry fly. Second cast I saw a fly skim across the water and stop right beside my dry fly then suddenly the water opened and both flies disappeared. a quick hook set and the rest is dinner. Wow it was incredible to watch it first hand and I can officially say I'm hooked on it, what a drug....

Congratulations. Surface fishing is one of my favs too.