PDA

View Full Version : Foiled again

ape
11-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Well guys last month I took my wife out hunting for moose deer elk which ever we happened upon that day. So we find this nice little place but the fog is as thick as pea soup. So we wait a little for it to clear but to no avail so off we go approaching a field surounded by big timber and the wind is in our favor. We find a nice spot to sit for awhile to see what is what. Low and behold a little buck steps out. My wife doesn't see it but the angle I am at the muzzle blast would deaffen her if I shoot so I let him go. After a spell I decide that we should walk tree line (bad idea) so down to the end of the fields we go and see nothing. Turn around and back we go and we are just about back to our starting point and HOLY S%$T there is a huge white tail buck motoring his way past where we were sitting. He was at least 5 or 6 points a side. I tried to get a shot but no chance so I tell my wife lets go sit on that knoll over there. On our way to the top of the knoll a 4 point whitey sticks his head up over the top from the other side we see each other and he swaps ends and is gone. Acting quick I shoulder my rifle and take a neck spine shot but miss.

Today I am out in this same area again before light. As I am nearing the same spot my wife I and were sitting in last month I hear crashing in the bush across the field about 75yrds away. I hunker down and wait to see if it is comming out or if I can see movement in the bush. 1 1/2 hours later I give up figuring it is probably just a moose and move on to the other end of the field to check it out. Nothing there so back I come thinking I will plant in some trees in the middle and wait. As I crest the hill I look up and see a deer not 30 yrds from were I was sitting for 1 1/2 hours. Take a look yup its a buck and looks very similar to the one I shot at a month ago a nice 4 point whitey. I estimate the distance at 300yrds grunt 4-5 times real loud on the grunt tube shoulder the rifle and he stops about 30 yrds from tree line. BOOM the .300 win mag goes off and about 2 feet in front of him right on the shoulder a nice cloud of snow. Man them things can really cover ground when they want to. So I guess he was a little more than 300yrds and I guess I will be going back again wed. morning for another try. Maybe third time lucky.

Freshtracks
11-13-2005, 05:43 PM
LOL...if I were that buck I'd say screw the gals and get a ticket out of Dodge.

Thunderstix
11-13-2005, 06:26 PM
:shock: You better get him next time! We need more pics!!!!!!!:-)

ape
11-13-2005, 07:16 PM
He's goin to get a ticket into a Dodge hopefully on wed morning. LOL.