PDA

View Full Version : Help! US Citizen...

rookie99
11-13-2005, 05:06 PM
My uncle (a US citizen), wants to go on a hunting trip. He will not be hunting. He will only keep me company during the trip.

I will be doing all the hunting, but he will be with me while I hunt. So, is it legal if my uncle joins me on the trip to keep me company? Thanks.

ape
11-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Yup as long as he isn't carrying a rifle or any gear I believe that makes him look like he is hunting. That is how I understand the rules but I have been wrong before. Call a CO office just to be sure.

bsa30-06
11-13-2005, 05:13 PM
thats a good question i'd like to hear what a co has to say about that.I sometimes have friends or family that ask if they can come with me but i'm not sure if it is o.k for them to come.

Steeleco
11-13-2005, 05:18 PM
I can't see any reason why he can't go camping with you while you hunt, so long as he's not armed there should be absolutely no reason to stop him going anywhere in the bush.

Tuffcity
11-13-2005, 06:00 PM
He can get a small game licence and shoot grouse if he wants to. He just can't buy any big game licences unless you get him a "permit to accompany", which isn't available for all species. Then he could actually hunt with you if he wanted. See page 9 of this years Hunting Reg's.

RC

rookie99
11-13-2005, 07:16 PM
I've sent an email to nrhunt@victoria1.gov.bc.ca (nrhunt@victoria1.gov.bc.ca) . I will post their reply once I hear back from them. I'll also contact the CO office as ape suggested.

tmarschall
11-14-2005, 06:17 AM
I have done just that, my host checked it out with the CO, so I don't want to give you second hand info. Its better for you to hear it first hand. The CO came into camp every year and checked us out, no problems. I don't know if me having an 8-day fishing license had anything to do with that, but there is a way for us "southerners" to enjoy your great outdoors.... Tom

Fred
11-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Make sure he has a passport or he might not be allowed to go home to the land of the more or less free! :eek: Fred

tmarschall
11-14-2005, 11:53 AM
all I needed was a birth certificate and driver's license

guntech
11-14-2005, 01:15 PM
all I needed was a birth certificate and driver's license

"needed" is the key word here.

New U.S. laws propose Passports to be required for cross border travel. It has not been put into effect yet. The confusion of if and when it may happen has kept a lot of U.S. tourists from travelling to Canada this year.

As far as someone going along on a hunt and not hunting....... no big deal if the outfitter/guide allows it...... obviously they will not be carrying a firearm - probably a camera.

Without a valid Canadian license no one is allowed to possess or have access to ammunition or firearms, Canadians included.

tmarschall
11-15-2005, 06:46 AM
Thanks for that info... guess I better check it out next time I head out that way!!!

Fred
11-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Hey Tom, if they wouldn't let you go home it would be their loss. We could find you a place here, maybe in BJ's neighbourhood! :mrgreen: Fred

hoochie
11-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Without a valid Canadian license no one is allowed to possess or have access to ammunition or firearms, Canadians included.[/quote]

can you please show me where this is stated? I cant see this being true. If it were true, we wouldnt be able to teach our kids, nor would we be able to invite friends to the range...

brotherjack
11-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Without a valid Canadian license no one is allowed to possess or have access to ammunition or firearms, Canadians included.
As long as you're hunting with someone who holds a PAL/POL, and have a legal hunting license, it is legal. Anyone with a PAL/POL can loan a firearm to someone without a license, so long as they accompany that unlicensed person at all times when a firearm is being used or possessed. This is how I hunted my first year - with a friend who had a firearms license and a gun I could borrow - becuase getting my PAL ended up taking 6 months instead of 30 days.

I'm pretty sure there is some exceptions for Americans traveling north for hunting purposes as well, but I never researched them.

guntech
11-15-2005, 04:54 PM
As long as you're hunting with someone who holds a PAL/POL, and have a legal hunting license, it is legal. Anyone with a PAL/POL can loan a firearm to someone without a license, so long as they accompany that unlicensed person at all times when a firearm is being used or possessed. This is how I hunted my first year - with a friend who had a firearms license and a gun I could borrow - becuase getting my PAL ended up taking 6 months instead of 30 days.

I'm pretty sure there is some exceptions for Americans traveling north for hunting purposes as well, but I never researched them.

I agree...... but the licensed person must remain close enough to be able to control the firearm, basically at arms length and have control of no other firearm at the time. It is the same at a range. Technically the unlicensed person does not have possession if the licensed person is in immediate control at all times.... at least that is what is being permitted.

brotherjack
11-15-2005, 06:31 PM
I agree...... but the licensed person must remain close enough to be able to control the firearm, basically at arms length and have control of no other firearm at the time. It is the same at a range. Technically the unlicensed person does not have possession if the licensed person is in immediate control at all times.... at least that is what is being permitted.

Hrmm... I was told that it was within both sight, and verbal communication range (but that was just what I was told verbally when I asked a fellow who gives the firearms test - I did not look that up in the regs anywhere).

Regardless, it's not that hard to hunt in pairs and stick close.

Foxer
11-15-2005, 06:40 PM
"Without a valid Canadian license no one is allowed to possess or have access to ammunition or firearms, Canadians included"

Visitors bringing guns into canada get a temp permit. So he would have a valid license.

---"I was told that it was within both sight, and verbal communication range (but that was just what I was told verbally when I asked a fellow who gives the firearms test - I did not look that up in the regs anywhere)."--

You won't find the definition in the regs - the way it's worded it could kind of go either way. You will therefore get different answers depending on who you ask.

The only way to be SURE is to ask a judge for a reading - but seeing as that would likley require a trial, it's best to avoid it :)

What i can tell you is this - the more control you have over the person using your firearm, the more you are in compliance with the law. Some have interpreted the law to literally mean 'able to physically intervene if they do something unsafe'. Many co's are not this anal, but to be on the safe side - stick close.