PDA

View Full Version : .277 beats the little 7mm.

rrfred
11-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Well all ,last week posted about the great successes I have with my 7mm08's. Last week I took a nice typical 5x4 in the snow, a personal best and happy as the dickens. That went well with the other one I got the week earlier in reg 3. Dan took his first buck in the youth season this fall in september and the other day he had off from school and we went out for a customary victory drive as the season nears its end, to enjoy the day.
Take him in to my spot from the week before, and we park it in the bush for a while. 3pm- along comes a doe and two fawns... busted, sat tite. had a pop. 315 we see movement in the timber but could not make it out, grunt got a return call little rattlin... 345 sun just down now... stood up to stretch hiding behind the ground cover. Looked over to the left saw some movement, - wt deer, quitely grabbed Dan from his seat, said nothing and pointed, watched the show as 3 does were running in circles, then there he was, i had no doubt, son said dad its a buck, whispered for him to close his beak: he got his rifle ready and the buck kept circling then stopped... no shot. little grunt.. out he came into the open looking our way, but trying to mount a doe, she said no.. little grunt. he stopped again turned our way, 100 yds out... silence from dan and me, i'm watching thru my binocs. i whispered, ok- legal,clear shot, go... 3-4 seconds for the shot ... bang, does scatter, buck flinches staggers to the side, walks away slowly but no time for 2nd round... , we note the position,slow walk to site of hit, 50 yds later there he was... clean one shot kill.. little far back but lung and liver were done... had said to dan he was the same or little bigger than my 4/5 last week, i lied ...a really nice mature typical 5x5.
Well the 270 trumped my 708;-) , way to go ...happy to report to all that my son got our biggest deer this year..... dans beaming- in his eyes hes got the buck of his dreams, ...no its not a big book trophy, its bigger... a first mature whitetail, will scan pics tomorrow or the next day...... gotta go repack the freezer, cheers :smile:

Marc
11-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Good going, nice to hear about a father son hunt. Nothing better then sharing the woods with family and close friends. Sounds like you guys have had a productive year.

rrfred
11-13-2005, 12:21 AM
okay, got some pics in the gallery. dans buck from the youth hunt -his new one will come later , cheers