PDA

View Full Version : Calling Black Bear

PressurePoint
03-26-2009, 12:42 PM
As we all know black bear season is coming on us now and I was wondering if anyone has ever used a fawn bleat or distress call while hunting bear? With what kind of results?

I have an area which holds some nice bears and has been productive to me in the past, but curious if anyone has had success with calling in bears.

KodiakHntr
03-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Try the search function...

bowhunterbruce
03-26-2009, 12:49 PM
a buddy of mine uses calls with awsome success.just use calls of critters that could be bear food in thier area,ie:dont use a dying rabbit call where there are not many rabbits. if useing your fawn call then make sure ya act like your accually dieing not just calling mom

leadpillproductions
03-26-2009, 01:01 PM
what works better spring time or fall for calling

BiG Boar
03-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Bring your cell phone to the woods and try to call them. I dont know thier number. But on the island its 1-250 area code.

Try to sound like grass.

hunter1947
03-26-2009, 04:25 PM
The distress calling will work ,I found that out last year first time I used one.

Manglinmike
03-26-2009, 05:07 PM
I have called in bears with cow elk calls in the rockies. I have also tried to stalk bears and then call them in closer,the result of this every time has been the bear going 500 mph the other way,I think it would work better on big top dog bears.

Bow Walker
03-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Now don't take me wrong here, as I plan on an archery bear this Spring....but I just can't resist this idiotic reply to this otherwise informative thread.

Find a nice sized tree - hide behind it with weapon ready - make noises like a full garbage can - get ready because they'll come in a hurry!

jjensen20
03-26-2009, 05:28 PM
have used a predator call with unbelievable success. You really have to blow like hell on it....much more than you would if your calling coyotes. Now get ready for some fast shootin action!!!!!!

bearass
03-26-2009, 06:28 PM
cow and calf talk works. I called in three beers at once last sept when I was elk hunting in my tree stand. One of them started to climb the tree so I threw my hoochy mama at him.Hit him in the head and I almost fell out of my stand because I was laughing so hard.

I don,t hunt beers that much but I would think that calf or fawn talk would work great in the spring.Thats what they are looking for.

plumbob
03-27-2009, 05:23 PM
predator calls and blow like hell and hang on as they come in fast and hard.It's a real experiance if you've neve done it before.

Flingin' Sticks
03-27-2009, 06:24 PM
The fawn distress call works good, especially if you know a bear is nearby. Blow like hell though. Another nice thing about it is if the bear has spooked and you start blowing, the bear will stop and look 9 times out of 10.

model88
03-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Cow calls work quite well in the spring time. Funniest thing I ever saw though, I was guiding one spring for bears, had seen a nice bear in a clearcut, worked our way in and thought, what the heck, tried my cow call. The bushes started to rustle right in front of us, thought my hunter was gunna crap his pants and then a young bull elk poked his head out......:lol: