PDA

View Full Version : hiking back pack tent???

leadpillproductions
03-26-2009, 10:46 AM
what tent s are out there that will stand up to sheep and elk trip in sept im a big guy it has to be for 2 people and under 5 lbs

Goliath
03-26-2009, 11:50 AM
5 lbs for a bare tent is pretty standard fare...there's probably a couple dozen fine products out there from Kelty, MSR, Sierra Designs, N Face, MEC bla bla bla.

For a two person tent I prefer one with double vestibules like the MSR Hubba Hubba as it gives each person a separate covered area for gear. Furthermore, the separate doors make it easy to get up for a leak in the middle of the night without crawling overtop your buddy in your dirty underwear.

shantz
03-26-2009, 12:33 PM
I have a Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 2 that i have been using for that past 2 years that is awesome. Very durable, around 7 lbs, two vestibules and some very slick features. I camp all four seasons of the year for hunting, hiking and skiing and never had a problem. The only problem with the Hubba Hubba is that most of the inter roof is all mesh, making it very light but it also makes it very cold if you plan on winter/fall camping.

Good luck with the tent hunt.

BiG Boar
Hubba hubba hands down. However some tents are so good they even work inside out. You just have to stay up all night in the hundred mile per hour winds holding onto them. he he, you know who you are!

Ciskman
Ive owned a few tents. One thing I would look for is sleeves for attaching the poles. It cuts your time setting up into seconds!

eric
03-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Also check out Hillberg tents, expensive but you'll only ever have to buy 1

spreerider
03-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Mountain equipment coop has some good tents, i got a 2man from them years ago, i cant remember the modle name right now but its excellent i have had it for 14 years at least and its still working great for me.

mudbud
03-26-2009, 06:17 PM
there is no comparison to the go-lite hex tent. It is huge and way way under 5lbs. Weight can be reduced if you use trekking poles as you will not need to bring the pole. (I think it has a new name now) 3 sheep hunts and no problems!

PGK
03-26-2009, 06:29 PM
MEC Tarn II. Once you use one, you never want to sleep in anything else.

Dirty
03-26-2009, 06:48 PM
The only problem with the Hubba Hubba is that most of the inter roof is all mesh, making it very light but it also makes it very cold if you plan on winter/fall camping.

Good luck with the tent hunt.

The new Hubba Hubba HP doesn't have the all mesh upper. I have been looking at them, they look pretty good.

Dale
03-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Big Agnes seedhouse for this guy!!!! Super light.

Hotwheels81
03-27-2009, 01:28 AM
MEC Tarn II. Once you use one, you never want to sleep in anything else.

X2

solid tent and easy to setup...

budismyhorse
03-27-2009, 09:32 AM
The new Hubba Hubba HP doesn't have the all mesh upper. I have been looking at them, they look pretty good.

X3

Make sure we are talking about the NEW hubba hubba HP model.....very different from the older hubba hubba.

Its awesome, I've yet to find a better 2 person tent with better all around design..........and VERY LITTLE mesh.....something fall hunters demand.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMGP0769_resize.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/CR_vs_HP.jpgthe HP is on the bottom, note the lack of mesh with ultralight fabric in its place. the top tent in that photo is a much lighter but much different tent by MSR Carbon Reflex.

Camp Cook
03-28-2009, 12:20 PM
My favorite 3 season 2 man tent is a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlite it weighs just over 4lbs and has gone everywhere with me over the last 5 years.

Here is a link to the newer model which is a little bit lighter http://www.sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=14

ElectricDyck
03-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I got a used hubba hubba hp and am very happy with it. It's so compact and light, I carry it on day hikes. I can set it up in just over 2 minutes. Saw a used hubba hubba for $150 recently, saw an agnes seedhouse 1 person for $125, some good deals if you look everyday.

Deadshot
03-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Outdoor Research Nighthaven Tarp w/ footprint weighs in at 1400 grams.
Throw in a Sil-tarp for your gear and you'll make it.

BCRiverBoater
03-28-2009, 08:28 PM
My favorite 3 season 2 man tent is a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlite it weighs just over 4lbs and has gone everywhere with me over the last 5 years.

Here is a link to the newer model which is a little bit lighter http://www.sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=14

I have a similar tent and it is light and waterproof as heck. But for 2 people I hate the design. 2 doors and 2 vestibules is a must when hunting with two people in the high country. I went sheep hunting in mine and it poured for 3 days. We had to eventually bring in our packs at the door and trapped ourselves in. I have pack covers but after awhile we needed to ensure they were dry. Then every time we got up to pee or eat we had to climb over packs etc. The 2 doors and vestibules keeps each of our gear under the fly at all times without restricting access.

bruin
03-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Also check out Hillberg tents, expensive but you'll only ever have to buy 1

------Agreed

Also, check out this thread http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31927&highlight=tipi+tent. I will be trying one of these out this sheep season. I'll let you know how it goes

scallywag
03-28-2009, 09:28 PM
X2 on sierra designs .. i love it . Sierra designs was first a tent company and then started getting into other gear unlike a lot of other companys that where clothing and worked there way into tents

Tarp Man
03-28-2009, 09:49 PM
O.K. A few things to consider.
1. Most 2-person tents are not something you want to consider spending any significant time in, unless in an emergency. No matter how well you think you know your hunting buddy, a 2-man tent in a rainstorm above the treeline brings new meaning to "male bonding". The space gained in the floor area, typical length x width and vestibule(s) is well worth the slight weight gain.

2. Number of doors and vestibules is critical. While you can get by with one door and vestibule, 2 of each is the cat's meow. Use each for storing stinking boots, making midnight pee trips, and sorting gear. The livability of a tent in a storm exponentially increases when each person has their own "patio" and door.

3. While a confirmed opponent of hunting, MEC's newest catalogue gives a good cross-section of tents with their relative merits and layouts. Rectangular layouts allow the use of two inflatable mats without overlap. Mesh ceilings allow for better ventilation in humid weather, but spending time above the treeline or in seasons where snow is a good bet warrants a nylon ceiling. There are a few tents (Mountain Hardware comes to mind) that have a zip in ceiling to cover the mesh. Zippers do add weight though.

4. I have slept in a North Face 2-man tent, the Talus 2. It is a trapezoid shape, so the foot section narrows, meaning two full length sleep pads overlap. It is very wind-stable. It does have two doors and two vestibules, which slightly compensates for the lack of space. The door zippers do allow for ventilation when sleeping at night. I have also slept in a MEC Tarn 3. Similar shape, but only one door (which is covered by a bigger vestibule). The extra floor space is necessary for two hunters and gear.

5. Ultralight tents typically have weight savings in the floor material and waterproof coating. The new MSR Hubba tents have increased their coatings to match MEC's standard of 10,000mmHg. Hmmmm...

Summary?
3-man, mostly nylon, rectangular shaped tent. Two doors, two vestibules, bathtub floor. For a 3 man tent with these criteria I would expect it to be less than 6lbs. For those less than hot-under-the-collar HBC'ers, MEC's Gemini 3 man tent satisfies all of these criteria for less than the MSR Hubba tents. And who really wants to spend time with another guy in a tent called the "Hubba Hubba" or worse yet, the "Mutha Hubba"?

leadpillproductions
03-28-2009, 09:57 PM
ive been really looking at the msr carbon reflex what do you guys think

Krico
03-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Summary?
3-man, mostly nylon, rectangular shaped tent. Two doors, two vestibules, bathtub floor. For a 3 man tent with these criteria I would expect it to be less than 6lbs. For those less than hot-under-the-collar HBC'ers, MEC's Gemini 3 man tent satisfies all of these criteria for less than the MSR Hubba tents. And who really wants to spend time with another guy in a tent called the "Hubba Hubba" or worse yet, the "Mutha Hubba"?

Tarp Man I am shopping for a 3 man tent so your post caught my attention.

Did you mean to recommend a different tent? The Gemini is a 2 man tent,not a 3 man. It also has mesh for the majority of the tent body. The Apollo appears to be the 3 man version of the Gemini...but it is certainly not below 6 pounds, nor is the tent body mostly nylon.

The lightest freestanding 3 man tents around I've found are made by Big Agnes, and they actually come in under 6 pounds-though their waterproofness ratings (1200/1500) make me a little suspect...

If you want double walled nylon, you're not coming in under 6 pounds, so far as I can tell-unless the footprint is so tiny you can't actually fit in 3 guys. Most 3 person tents are around 45 square feet.

If I'm wrong, great, it means there's some good options out there I haven't found!

mudbud
03-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Go Lite Shangri-La. 59 sq ft. Not really 3 person, but huge for 2 people.
2lb 13 oz but you can lose 13oz if you use trekking poles.

quackquackbang
04-04-2009, 02:16 PM
haha i just picked up a tent for 20 dollars its 6x4 and im sure will do the job on my spike camp trips with a tarp over it for insurance of no rain getting in!!! and it rools up about the size of a fist and is about 17 inches long!!!!

Deaddog
04-05-2009, 07:17 AM
I would go with the Hilleberg Nallo 3 tent , weighs in just over three pounds, slept three of us reasonably comfortable, all season tent, check it out, they are pricey but worth every dollar.. http://www.backcountrygear.com

mudbud
04-05-2009, 10:10 AM
According to your link the Hilleburg is over 5 lbs........ for 36 sg ft.

The Shagri-La 3 is 59 sq ft for under 3bs

Very nice tents though, just no what I want in my pack.

Deaddog
04-05-2009, 02:22 PM
perhaps my partner was B**sh**** me then as I went by the weight he told me , sorry about that, DD

mudbud
04-05-2009, 05:32 PM
leadpill, that carbon reflex tent looks awesome. If you go with that one give us a review.

leadpillproductions
04-05-2009, 06:42 PM
i think thats the one im going with

bruin
04-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Lead pill. The only downside I see to the msr carbon reflex tent is that there is only one door on one side and that can be inconvenient when sleeping two people. That may be the sacrafice you have to make to get so light. Other than that it looks like a really good quality tent.

Reggy
04-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Tarp Man I am shopping for a 3 man tent so your post caught my attention.

Did you mean to recommend a different tent? The Gemini is a 2 man tent,not a 3 man. It also has mesh for the majority of the tent body. The Apollo appears to be the 3 man version of the Gemini...but it is certainly not below 6 pounds, nor is the tent body mostly nylon.

The lightest freestanding 3 man tents around I've found are made by Big Agnes, and they actually come in under 6 pounds-though their waterproofness ratings (1200/1500) make me a little suspect...

If you want double walled nylon, you're not coming in under 6 pounds, so far as I can tell-unless the footprint is so tiny you can't actually fit in 3 guys. Most 3 person tents are around 45 square feet.

If I'm wrong, great, it means there's some good options out there I haven't found!

The MEC Apollo is the 3 man tent I own. Weighs 3KG and is 4.5sq/m. It fits three guys pretty comfortably, has two doors and you don't need to reverse positions like a lot of the three men tents with less floor area that are a bit lighter. So although it may way a pound or so more than the Big Agnes models it is more comfortable. Bit of a trade off I guess. You'll just have make your buddies pack the scope and stove.

BCRiverBoater
04-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Lead pill. The only downside I see to the msr carbon reflex tent is that there is only one door on one side and that can be inconvenient when sleeping two people. That may be the sacrafice you have to make to get so light. Other than that it looks like a really good quality tent.

I have used the ultimate light weight 2 man tent with one door and I have used a 5 lb 2 man tent with 2 doors. I tell you what...with rain and just ease of access...2 doors with 2 vestibules is the only way to go.

I will never buy a tent without 2 doors and 2 vestibules ever again unless I am sleeping solo in the tent.

Trust me... 2 guys...2 doors!

leadpillproductions
04-07-2009, 01:30 AM
also the hubba hubba loks good little more weight but looks good

RustyRipper
04-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Has anyone had any experience with marmot tents? I just ordered the Marmot Earlylight 2. Sounds like a great tent, 2 man, 2 d-shaped doors, 2 vestibules, 30 sq. ft, and comes in at 5 lbs 5 oz. fully packed but is freestanding and can even be used just with fly and footprint to make a super lightweight shelter. Pretty good deal too, got the tent, fly, footprint and gear loft all for 250 bucks. Can't wait to try it out.