PDA

View Full Version : 300 Wby for deer

300 Wby mag
11-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi guys. I have a problem I am hoping I can get help with.
I own only one gun. I saved up my $ for some time so that I could buy a nice gun that I could hopefully shoot both big game and medium sized game with.
I bought a 300 wby mag ultra light, topped with a Leopold 50mm scope. The gun is beautiful, and shoots great, but it is obviously too powerful for shooting deer with.
I have taken three mulies with it so far, and all three were quite torn up by the hyper velocity of the ammo.

I am planning on purchasing a deer gun soon, but for now I would like help on choosing the right ammo for deer for my 300 wby. I know it is not a deer gun, but if there is a better choice of ammo for it to shoot deer with, which one would be a good choice??

So far I have shot Weatherby brand ammo, Fed Premiums, Winchester, and Hornady ammo at the range, and Hornady by far grouped the best at short and long ranges. However, the Hornady is what I used on all three of my deer I shot, and on all three of the deer the bullets blew up. I shot two of them with 180 grain SST's, and the other with 150 grain SST,s.

On one of the deer the bullet went right through, but it shattered ribs and exited with a softball sized hole, after fragmenting and ruining lots of meat. The other two were just as bad, but different senarios.

HELP!!!
I am going to buy a deer specific gun next year, but I need some new ammo help for the rest of this season.

Thanks in advance!

rrfred
11-12-2005, 11:47 PM
hi i agree that 300wby is on the big side for deer, many would not share the same opinion. the problem your having is excessive expansion with sst's and likely bullet blow ups. the hornadys do not stand up well and with the hyper velocity of the 300 wby, i'd switch to a premuim bullet like a partition or x bullet, will expand hold together and keep going thru,
a numer of years ago my buddy had a 300 wby an used 190 hornadys in his, his bullets also blew up, messy hits

youngfellla
11-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Try using some Weatherby factory ammo loaded with 200 Partitions or even a 220 grain round nose. Your 300 should drive the 220 around 2850 fps. The big bullet going slower should be easier on meat than a 165 going 3400. You can also change your shot placement, try for neck shots instead of through the chest (unless he's a wall hanger and you don't want a big hole through the cape). I shot a deer this fall with my 338/378 Weatherby through the neck. The hole was big enough to put your arm through. Those big magnums are hell on meat.

300 Wby mag
11-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Thank you RRFRED. I shot Weatherby brand ammo loaded with Nosler Partitions at the range. That damn box cost me $94.00!! It shot ok at 100yds, but shot horribly at 200yds plus. 4000fps!!?? they were very fast but not too accurate at long ranges. I also tried Federal Premiums. I think they were bear claws. They shot pretty good. Maybe I'll try them on the deer.

Keep the help comming please!!

Thanks.:-)

Marc
11-13-2005, 12:01 AM
Another option would be to reload and use slower velocity powder. load it with a heavy bullet and a powder that produces slower velocities. For example a 200 gr bullet doing around 2800 fps. You'll wast a lot less meat if you slow it down for deer. This load would also be good enough for bear or moose. I shot a deer using a partition 200gr out of my 300 win mag doing 2900fps or so and it punched through only giving a bit of bloodshot in the ribs. If you're planing on sticking with the 300 wby mag reloading is defanitely the way to go to save money and customise your loads.Marc.

Amphibious
11-13-2005, 12:07 AM
just load it to .30-06 velocites. problem solved.

your rifle is not to big. it is to fast. a 30 cal is a 30 cal, they're all the same, speed on the other hand is a variable. a 308win is no smaller then a 300wby, and they kill just the same . one ruins more meat thats all :D

300 Wby mag
11-13-2005, 12:14 AM
Excellent info guys. Thank's a lot. My hunting partner hand loads. I'll try out your suggestions. Maybe I'll hold off buying another gun, and buy loading equipment instead.

Great forum, and great info.

Thanks again!!

Ltbullken
11-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Ditto! Reloading for big capacity mags is the way to go. Premium bullet at a reasonable MV will do for all your needs. A 180 or 200 grn bullet, in the 2900 - 3000 fps range, such as Barnes, Nosler Ptn, Speer Grand Slam (a bit cheaper but has brought home plenty of meat out of my now traded-off 300 Win Mag - just as reliable as other premiums), trophe bonded are all great choices. Conventional bullets with those MVs are tricky unless you very carefully place your shot and most game I have come across typically don't give the hunting magazine pose! Spend less, get more.

abbyfireguy
11-13-2005, 02:33 PM
I've used a weatherby 300 mag for years for moose and deer..Never bought factory ammo,load my own. I use Nozler 180 gr ballistic tips with IMR 7828 powder . I find this combination to shoot excellent for me..Drops the moose in its tracks,shots very consistantly and quite flat for my needs.
Haven't noticed too much carcass damage on deer.....But then ,most of my shots are neck or head area shots...The ballistic tip bullets don't tear things up as bad I quess......Works very well for me for the past 15 years......
It took me a while to figure out the load at the range,once I had it performing well I stayed with the exact load.....
Just me $.02...

ratherbefishin
11-13-2005, 02:54 PM
a very simple solution is to pick up a bubba'd 6.5x55 swede-ideal for deer and cheap to find ammunition for.They are great medium sized game rifles, accurate and don't have a lot of recoil.You should be able to pick one up in nice condition for under $250

Gateholio
11-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Your 300 isn't too big, nor is it too fast. the Weatherby is ALL about speed.

If you are getting ecessive meat damage, look at a tougher bullet. I'd reccomend an X bullet, but since you are using factory ammo, any of the premium "tough" bullets like the Partitioon or Bear Claw shoudl solve your problem.

Also, avoid shoulder shots if possible.

Handloading will open a whole new realm of possibilities!:razz:

300 Wby mag
11-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks guys!! I am going to do exactly what you suggest. I am going to pick up some good tough bullets (probably partitions) and powder tomorrow. I already have some spent 300 brass, so I will be all set. My hunting partner is checking out the load possibilities for me today, so I will be able to load some up before my next hunt.

Thanks a lot for helping out, and saving me some $ on a new gun.

Buck Hunter
11-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Not to beat an old bush, but I would like to comment on my experience with the 300 WIN MAG (SAKO). I have tried the Partitions ($$$$) and found that they were not accurate at long distance. One of the features with the 300 mag is the flat shot so with my scope sighted in at 275 I wanted a bullet accurate at longer distance.

In regards to damage, I have shot 5 deer with the 300. With a well placed shot the 300 performs well, in and out the rib cage with very little damage. If the bullet hits a leg then it is another story (added ft-lbs become a determint in this case). The Partition performed well without shattering, but was able to riquocette off a rib into the leg 2003 buck (additional damage). The FEDERAL Power Shok 180grn seems to penetrate and continue through without much damage; 2005 broke one rib in and continued through another without any additional damage. The accuraccy at longer distance at the range indicates the federal to be a better pick.

THis some food for thought, overall I would not purchase another gun. I have found the 300 Win Mag to be all around. The 300 mag can reach out and touch an animal in a cutline when needed but can perform at a shorter distance with a well placed shot. Just be sure you know the bullet travel in ratio to the distance setting of your scope.

Mind you the bucks in Northern Alberta appear to be larger than the BC versions lol.

Happy hunting.

Glenn