PDA

View Full Version : how do you LEH?

Mr. Friendly
03-25-2009, 07:06 PM
put all your eggs in one basket and apply all your LEH in the same region(s) or do you spread them out more? this is going to be my first season this fall, and I'm up for putting in for a number of draw's...I just don't have a clue as to how I should go about figuring where I want my draw's to be/go.

I'm not asking where you're going to put your LEH's...I'm asking how I should decide where I want to put my LEH's. what complex mathematic algorithym's do you use? do you eeny, meeny, miny, moe them? randomly strike a map with colored tack's? sit down and study data for hours and then realize you're minutes from the deadline and fax a bazillion pieces of paper and forget what you put the moment they're through?

thanks all!

moosinaround
03-25-2009, 07:13 PM
I always put in where I can get the most time hunting. 5,10 days doesnot cut it! My odds are higher, but if I do get the LEH I know I can usually cancel the tag! I hunt in this area anyways!! I always put in a "Hail Mary" Bison leh though! Moosin

tomahawk
03-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Simple calculations for me:
1) What species do I want to hunt.
2) Where is the best area that I know that will provide me with the greatest chance for success.

husky30-06
03-25-2009, 07:42 PM
concider your mode of access, horse, quad, truck, walking....... what species you are intending to hunt...... what is the area like, lots of cut blocks, lots of hunters, high alpine or sub alpine, wet or dry, and how often you will get out to the areas chosen. I have even picked areas that are of interest to me and pick a species that I can actively hunt while I scout out the area. From there I ask around to those in the area and see what the locals do to be successful...... just a few points I use. ;-)

Gateholio
03-25-2009, 08:07 PM
I figure out what I want to hunt (most everything) then I apply for areas that I know I will have a reaosnable chance of being able to hunt. No point in applying for LEH 1234 if I don't know how to get there or I don't have th etime or it's somethign I know nothing about.

Then I may throw a couple of hail marys,, like bison or Island elk, but I've pretty much given up on bison, anyway. I'll go whack one on a ranch or hire an outfitter someday.

PGK
03-25-2009, 08:45 PM
I figure out what I want to hunt (most everything) then I apply for areas that I know I will have a reaosnable chance of being able to hunt. No point in applying for LEH 1234 if I don't know how to get there or I don't have th etime or it's somethign I know nothing about.

Then I may throw a couple of hail marys,, like bison or Island elk, but I've pretty much given up on bison, anyway. I'll go whack one on a ranch or hire an outfitter someday.

Don't give up on Bison yet, there is a strong movement afoot to expand that season and pound those suckers. The debate being waged right now is that bison were once native to that area, but they weren't plains bison, which is what is there now. So, are they still to be considered 'wildlife' and all the goodies that come with that, or are they to be considered an exotic? Looks like 'wildlife' (and protection, for now) is winning. Erring on the side of caution, you could say. At the potential cost of the other ungulates in the area....rant off

I put in for what I want to kill, in areas I know, or at least know of access into. I spend a hella lot of time staring at google earth and searching websites for access info etc

budismyhorse
03-25-2009, 08:50 PM
I carbon copy year to year.....maybe I should mix it up.....see new country. Goat, Elk, Moose, Sheep.

riflebuilder
03-26-2009, 05:04 AM
I start with the animal I want most and then add in Access and time constrasiants, then finances and finally the wife factor. Theh it is cross the fingers jump up and down three times while spinning in a righthand direction followed by holding my breath until the mail box door closes.

hunter1947
03-26-2009, 05:12 AM
First off you got to decide what kind of animals you want to hunt.

Then you decide what is the priority animal you want to hunt and ,then make this the first on the list ,then second and third and etc.

Chameleon
03-26-2009, 05:59 AM
I use a black pen, for the ones I want to get and a blue pen for those I am not too concerned about...

hunter1947
03-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Chameleon good choice ,I will be using pink pen this year ,will see how it works ???.

Flingin' Sticks
03-26-2009, 06:56 AM
Chameleon good choice ,I will be using pink pen this year ,will see how it works ???.

You really want to up your odds, try slipping a pink bill in the mix...

hunter1947
03-26-2009, 07:09 AM
You really want to up your odds, try slipping a pink bill in the mix...

Good choice ,but I have tried this and it don't work LOL:lol:.

barry1974w
03-26-2009, 07:45 AM
First, decide how much time and money you can devote to your hunts, then decide what hunts are most important to you, and the access issue also has to be looked at.
But if it's your first year, you might want to talk to some more experienced buddies and possibly piggyback in on some group hunts or maybe a shared hunt for moose...

steelheadSABO
03-26-2009, 08:01 AM
when does leh entry start

TherealSLYFOX
03-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Red ink for name black ink for areas and as far as I'm concerned there all hail marys still the best time of the year

Kirby
03-26-2009, 10:22 AM
I have an algorithm which calculates statistical variation of draw odds from year to year to produce and expected draw success for the following year, then compile it with a population densities (MOE numbers) correlated with hunt able area within a given draw, then run through a program to determine amount of area that I can hunt from my quad without my feet getting wet.

After calculating the APH/HA X AA I then take the resulting SWAG and enter use it to decide what I put in for.

APH= Animals Per Hectare
HA = hunt able area
AA = Accessible Area

If you want the formula just I'll send it too you.

Kirby

MichelD
03-26-2009, 10:47 AM
I use a crystal pendulum.

A crystal pendulum can help make predictions and give answers using one of two main techniques. The first technique is done to ask simple yes or no questions. The pendulum is held in one hand and allowed to dangle freely. As the questions are asked the crystal pendulum begins to swing. The way it swings predicts the answers to the questions. The other technique that can be used for predictions is by using a chart. Charts are available that display the answers based on the direction of the swing of the pendulum. The charts are a good way for beginners to learn the art of divining with the pendulum.

Red Foreman
03-26-2009, 11:53 AM
I put mine in close to home,I'm out there anyways on the GOS and I know the area well.Odds are not that great but I consider it a bonus anyways,not the be all end all to hunting.

BiG Boar
03-26-2009, 12:31 PM
1. Put in for areas you know you have access to

2. Put in for all the species you think you may be able to get out there for

3. Put in with your buddies so you have someone to split gas with

4. Put in for areas you know you will be around most of the time, or if you are planning an open season hunt in some area, put in for that zone as well. Lets say you are going to hunts bucks in 6-07d. Then put in for a doe there also

5. Use black ink (I got the tag I wanted most doing this)

6. Run in your wifes ugliest panties and bra to the mailbox, barefoot, screaming "Woot jigga jigga woot veeberbop bow wow wow!" Then throw a handful of street gravel and dust above your head, do three jumping jacks in front of the mail box, and do a teddybear stand with your eyes crossed. Slip the envelope into the mail box and walk backwards the whole way home. (I havnt tried this method yet, so its more of a theory than a fact)

7. When you check your results, check online, and as you do, visualize recieving the tags you want in your minds eye.

lip_ripper00
03-26-2009, 01:48 PM
just put in for anywhere in the Kootneys, Moose deer elk walking around like cattle!;)

GoatGuy
03-26-2009, 03:35 PM
I put all the sheets on the wall, close my eyes and throw darts. Wherever they land is where I put in for.

FlyingHigh
03-26-2009, 04:23 PM
i keep it pretty much the same. i've put in a doe draw in one region for the last 3 years. haven't got it yet. will be doing the same this year, as well as a doe draw for a different region i discovered last season. might put a group moose draw in with my dad.

i agree with putting in for an area you know and have access to as well as a species you can afford to hunt and understand.

sfire436
03-26-2009, 04:44 PM
when do you guys anticipate the fall LEH comming out?

martyonthewater
03-26-2009, 08:58 PM
I put in for a doe in the closest region that I hunt, a hail mary elk for the island and a hail mary for moose in 8. after I have mailed it I ask the magic 8ball if i will win

MOWITCH SLAYER
03-27-2009, 08:07 AM
I put in for witch ever area i think is the best chance for that species. Moose in 5, elk in southern 4, goat in northern 4. Looking for the best odds on the draw and the best chance to fill the tag. A LEH is only good if you Know the area good enough to harvest the animal. I've gone on blind hunt's before and they are a waste of a LEH , money, and holidays.

CanuckShooter
03-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Going in blind sometimes is what makes life interesting. Some of our best hunting spots were found by just pulling out a map and following a couple of roads, it's called scouting. You can't always expect to hunt the same spot year after year, or have someone who has done the legwork give up the information on where a good spot is.

weatherby_man
03-27-2009, 02:37 PM
I put all the sheets on the wall, close my eyes and throw darts. Wherever they land is where I put in for.

Dont forget the bottle of JD or Tequila,,,,,,