PDA

View Full Version : Big fish...small lakes??

willyqbc
03-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Well after being away from fishing for quite a few years I am planning on getting back at it this year. I am not looking to spend my days hauling in samll rainbow all day, but would rather put the time in and go after big char or possibly rainbows. I don't mind spending an entire week-end for 1 or 2 good fish. I know some of the bigger lakes like Francois, Quesnel Lake etc hold great char and rainbow, but i don't feel I am really set-up to tackle those bigger lakes. I have a 16 ft misty river and will most likely end up with around a 10 horse trolling motor so I am looking for some small - medium sized lakes that hold big char or rainbow that I haven't fished before. Within 5 or 6 hours of Quesnel would be ideal but I would travel further if the fishing was worth it. I have been curious about some of the lakes back behind Francois that you have to ferry across the lake to get to...I think Uncha and Binta are 2 of them....anyone fished back in there??
Also it seems to me there are a ton of lakes out the Kluskus out of Vanderhoof....anything interesting out that way?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Chris

todbartell
03-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Ive haven't fished Binta for years, but I hear it is still a decent producer of larger char, 15 lbs+ Lots of bears too, so you could make it a 2 birds 1 stone weekend :D

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Ive haven't fished Binta for years, but I hear it is still a decent producer of larger char, 15 lbs+ Lots of bears too, so you could make it a 2 birds 1 stone weekend :D

2 birds and a stoned weekend,sounds like a trip I had to London once.

hunterofthedeer
04-02-2009, 01:45 AM
if you want char you cant fish cluculz there is a ban because ignorat fishermen keep all the char they catch even the small 2 pounders and now the population is getting very small. :( Cluculz used to be one of the best char lakes. It wasnt uncommon to catch a char up to 30lbs not anymore!

srupp
04-02-2009, 04:08 PM
hmmm BIG fish try Sheridan..Quesnel lake Horsefly lake..

flyfishing..try Sheridan..Helena..Fir.. Owen..FOREST...elk..

ALL withing 2 hours of Quesnel..all have BIG fish...

for CHAR..Lac la HAche...Big Lake...

cheers

Steven

hotload
04-02-2009, 07:04 PM
What srupp said. Just outta Quesnel is some gooooood fishing. That Horsefly area has great fishing, Forest is a good fish for Biggies. Don't ever forget Dragon Lake. Tons of lakes along HWY 24. Sheridan can be tough but has big fish. Talk nicely to the locals around Sheridan area and they can direct you to the nicest fishing you will ever want.

srupp
04-03-2009, 12:35 AM
OOPS sorry how could I forget Dragon..thanks..Quesnel Lake used to be great now a days a 10#er is rare and indeed a BIG fish...Susan caught a 14 pounder on FLY @ Sheridan last year,,all have BIOG fish all shine during different parts of the year..Owen is a GREAT CADDIS LAKE..Elk is a great red sided shiner Forest is a Damsel and dragon and leech kinda lake..Sheridan is a Chronomid lake..etc etc etc

Steven

Salty
04-04-2009, 10:12 AM
You guys are making me miss the interior big time :sad:

My favorite used to be river fishing. No monstor char - but hard to beat a 4 lb rainbow out of the Quesnel, Caribou or Blackwater rivers. ..