PDA

View Full Version : Treestand Hunting

huntwriter
11-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Growing up in Switzerland and hunting there until my adult years and later for many years in America treestand hunting is an integral part of all my hunting tactics. I own as many as two climbing stands (Tree-Loung and Summit) and as many as 25 Hanging stands (Summit, Loc-On and Non-Typical) and two ladder stands ( Griz) plus an assortment of climbing sticks. In any given season I will hang almost all of the stands, even on public land.

My questions to my fellow hunters is.

1. How important is the treestand in your hunting tactics?

2. What is the average height at which you hand the stand or climb to?

3. What brands and types, i.e ladder stands, climbers, hang ons.

rock
11-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Tree lounge is the only one I use, as for percentage for use 85%, average height is about 25 feet, pending on situation, some instances 30+.
Shoot lots of bigger deer from them.

Amphibious
11-13-2005, 12:09 AM
question 1. Useless

think that sums up 2&3

mark
11-13-2005, 12:16 AM
have to agree with amphib. cant do the stand thing, just toooo boooring for me!

ruger#1
11-13-2005, 12:23 AM
i agree with mark, id rather be stalking then sleeping in a tree stand.

Steeleco
11-13-2005, 02:08 AM
I can't sit still for that long either. I wish I was that patient but it's not going to happen.

huntwriter
11-13-2005, 06:10 AM
Thank you for your answers so fahr which confirms what I have been told, that in Canada treestands are not as popular as in other countries.

I agree treestand hunting can be boring, especially for the hunters who belive that they have to sit all day in a stand. I couldn't do that either. In any given day I maybe hunt from as many as three different carefull pre scouted stand location.

Once it gets bitter cold and there is snow on the ground I prefer to spot and stalk or tracking deer. But there is no denying it a treestand can and will make a hunter more successful. A buddy of mien which I introduced to this tactic is so taken by it that he now uses treestands for elk hunting too. According to him his oportunitits to get an animal within killing range has more than doubled since he uses a stand to hunt.

Fred
11-13-2005, 11:05 AM
I would like to have a tree stand but right now just can't afford it. I would probably go for a ladder stand at 25 to 28 feet if such a thing is available. Fred

Tuffcity
11-13-2005, 12:43 PM
I have a couple of stands and have taken most of my blacktails out of them. My MO is to go into an area and pre-scout trails and directional movement (using thread on trails) and then try to hang a stand where I think the best chance will be. Mind you I'm talking bowhunting. My stands aren't that high, usually 12-15 feet. I'm not afraid of heights but I find any higher doesn't do much for me other than give a steeper shot angle. Stands are great here on the coast because they get you out and above the thick stuff.

RC

Shoey
11-13-2005, 01:03 PM
question 1. Useless

think that sums up 2&3

One more vote for useless

I couldn't spend time hunting in a situation where I cut off 180 degrees of vision, let alone shooting area.

oldtimer
11-13-2005, 01:50 PM
I tried them twice. Not likely to again. rather be walking or driving for my mulie. I think if we had whitetail up here in abundance maybe. They are much more habitual than mulies. Muley movement is far to random in my opinion for successfull treestand use. Just my opinion. Mike

Marc
11-13-2005, 01:56 PM
I used to own a tree stand back east but we didn't have clear cuts like we have here either. Tree stands are better suited for hunting whitetail deer who are a bit sneakier and tougher to hunt then a mule deer in my opinion. Whitetails tend to stick with the same game trails as well. I think scent control is a bit more important with whitetails and being up in a tree helps keep the scent off the ground.

Marc.

brotherjack
11-13-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't do treestands - but I am totally convinced that that style of hunting is the most productive. Sitting perfectly still (in or out of a tree) and waiting for your critter gets you way more meat in the freezer than moving around ever will. I've gotten elk and deer both this way, with sub-20 yard shots, that never knew I was there till the bullet or arrow hit them. I see deer virtually EVERY time I hit the field by sitting perfectly still in a good spot and waiting for them. By spending some time with a topo map, and on the ground scouting - there are spots that funnel ANY critter through it; be it water, steep draw's, natural bridges, whatever.

I've lost count of the 3-ish point whitetail's I've passed up this year (my first year of the ole 'hide and wait' hunting method) - where in previous years I would have shot any of them without a second thought and just been happy to have had a single harvest opportunity in a given year. Yeah, the hours of boredom waiting for that hour before dark when 20 or 30 deer walk by my hiding spot can be a little annoying, but for the payoff - I can handle it!

Kirby
11-13-2005, 02:15 PM
I have hunted out of them, personally, not my cup of tea. My dad however, loves them, uses them everytime he hunts. if I had the patience to sit for 3-4 hours I would do it more, but I get edgy, and wonder whats going on over the hill.

Kirby

Shoey
11-13-2005, 02:29 PM
I have to admit, I've never used one. I guess it's all perception. I've always pictured tree stands as a method for whitetails, as everyone has said, where you know their routines, and you go out in the spring and plant clover patches, then watch them in the fall from your perch.

I prefer to be down on the ground where the actin is.

plus, I'm scared of heights. :wink:

rock
11-13-2005, 11:04 PM
I've learned more from a tree on animal characteristics and what they do,
I know they can be boring in one place and I know most guys don't have the patients for that long. But I've learned so many different vocalizations
deer use to communicate I've benefited from those experiances. And I
know I can get deer to come check me out by speaking there language
its fun when you can do that whether your hunting or not thats exciting.

huntwriter
11-13-2005, 11:32 PM
I would like to have a tree stand but right now just can't afford it. I would probably go for a ladder stand at 25 to 28 feet if such a thing is available. Fred
If I only could have one treestand it would be a climber.
A ladder stand is quit heavy between 50lb (23kg) and 90lb (40.8kg). Most models are between 8ft to 15ft. This makes them quit cumbersome to lug around and they take considerable time to set up. A ladder stand is not exactly what I call mobile. My ladder stands are used ver rarely. I have one still standing in a hot spot on private land in Illinois where I hunt maybe every two years. Having said all this about ladder stands they are the safest stands around when set up properly.

A climbing stand is very mobile and you can set them up and hunt right away. It takes me no more than three minutes from the time of arrival on my tree until I am ready to hunt. The price of a climbing stand is about the same as for a ladder stand. The downside of climbers is that most only will fit trees from 9" to 12" diameter. For years I am in conversation with leading treestand manufactuers to make a stand which fits trees larger than 12" more like 24" to 30". Currently I am talking to a majore tree stand manufacturer and it looks like we have figured out a way to do it.

If I can give you some advice, try out a Summit Viper or Bushmaster they are affordable, light and easy to set up. The Tree-Lounge is par none the best climbing stand, in my opinion. Very safe, the most comfortable on the market and very easy to set up. But with a price tag of US$ 287.00 it is rather expensieve. My Tree-Lounge was given to me to field test and then they let me have it for good. That does not often happen with field test equipment.

huntwriter
11-13-2005, 11:45 PM
I've learned more from a tree on animal characteristics and what they do,
I know they can be boring in one place and I know most guys don't have the patients for that long. But I've learned so many different vocalizations
deer use to communicate I've benefited from those experiances. And I
know I can get deer to come check me out by speaking there language
its fun when you can do that whether your hunting or not thats exciting.
I have to agree with you. This is a point which comes out very clearly on all my seminars about treestand hunting. Treestand hunters seem to have a better knowledge and understanding of deer behaviour. The reason for this is, and I speak from my own experience, that you can observe from above. In other words you see further and all around you and you are not an intruder.

Yes treestands can be boring but that depends on the induvidual person. When I am in the treestand I watch and observe with my binoculars. The way I see it I am a spy in the woods. I want to know what is going on around me and I want to know WHY. In this regard I am always scouting.

I have always a little digital voice recorder with me and if it gets realy boring I make notes for up coming or future articles. It seems that in the woods I get good ideas. However, if nothing happens for a very long time, like two to three hours, then I will move on and find out why the deer do not move where all the signs told me they should move. It brings nothing to sit all day in a stand and wait for deer. It is better to find out why they avoid the area and adjust the stand location accordingly.

The best advatage of a treestand is that unlike with spot and stalk you are not contaminating the area with human scent or alert deer to your presence with your movement.

J_T
11-14-2005, 12:46 PM
If you are a bowhunter and you hunt late season whiteys, or early season elk, you will use a treestand. Not to is not productive. A treestand provides a huge advantage anytime you can pattern an animal.

As for sitting in them. Take a book, or paper and a pen and enjoy the peace and tranquility. My boys, 16, 17 and 22 love sitting in stands.

Like all boys, we love to build forts in trees, and that's what it is, you hide up there, sit silent and watch nature come alive around you as your presence is accepted and forgotten. Birds try to land on your camo'd arm, squirrels go about there business without knowing you are there.

I have 4 stands, and use them during both my early season elk, and my late season whitetail. The Mule Deer is best hunted from a spot and stalk perspective.

JT:D

PGKris
11-14-2005, 01:48 PM
One thing I want to say is.....when was the last time you saw a deer look at the sky?? We stand hunt for our moose every year and when we have a big bull draw we get one. Except for this year which we can't explain yet. I don't particularly like freezing my precious a$$ off at 6am but I've always liked the facts that animals never look up and your scent is above ground. To answer your questions:
1) Out of 10....8
2) 20 feet is lots. Anything higher can be scary as hell in wind.
3) I had a Gorilla until it got stolen last year and I liked it although the next one I buy will be a climber.
If you have a spot that you have had a lot of success or a spot that looks really good, build a permanent stand. That's what we hunt moose from. Got lawn chairs and carpet up there, the whole nine yards. Birch trees are best and I wouldn't advise pine because the wood is really soft and nails can pull out easily (been there done that). Great spots are hard to find. Good luck. It's the best way to hunt as far as I'm concerned.
KRIS

Walksalot
11-15-2005, 06:55 AM
I really like hunting from a treestand. I have seen more bucks and learned more about vocalizations of deer from listening to them as they fed around my treestand.

The average height is 12-15 ft.

Fido
11-15-2005, 08:42 AM
We use tree stands in Chetwynd all the time to hunt all game. You can learn alot from up there just watch everything thats going on around you. They can get boring so what we do is split the time up with other partners.

brotherjack
11-15-2005, 12:45 PM
If you have a spot that you have had a lot of success or a spot that looks really good, build a permanent stand.

I thought permanant stands were illegal in BC? Even leaving a mobile stand up more than 7 days I thought was illegal???

PGKris
11-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Well if it is I deny saying I built one and someone must have hacked into my account :shock: ;) I have no idea? Are they illegal? Who writes the fines for that one?

brotherjack
11-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Well if it is I deny saying I built one and someone must have hacked into my account :shock: ;) I have no idea? Are they illegal? Who writes the fines for that one?

Hrmmm.... I may be crazy, or someone just told me something that wasn't true and I'm guilty of repeating it... I can't find any mention of it in either my Synopsis, or the Wildlife Act ????

Someone help me out here - am I just helping spread a rumor, or did I have a real reason I thought that permanant stands were illegal in BC???

Marc
11-15-2005, 01:47 PM
I think they might be on crown land but if it's private property then i can't see it being a problem. It all has to do with putting nails in a tree and it getting to the mill. I'm pretty sure I've read it somewhere is the synopsis as well but can't recall exactly where.

Marc.

brotherjack
11-15-2005, 01:53 PM
I think they might be on crown land but if it's private property then i can't see it being a problem. It all has to do with putting nails in a tree and it getting to the mill. I'm pretty sure I've read it somewhere is the synopsis as well but can't recall exactly where.

That's what I thought, but doing a word-search on the online version doesn't come up with anything under "stand", "tree", "day", etc... Same results with the Wildlife Act over at http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/list%5Fstatreg%5Fw.htm

????

Trying google now...

J_T
11-15-2005, 08:50 PM
As responsible hunters we should practise 'no trace' hunting. Therefore we should (and I use the word should for each of us to define on our own terms) be cautious about building permant type treestands.

I believe what you are all looking for is located in the Forest Practises Code Act that prohibits spiking of a tree. I believe merchantable tree being the focus. I know this came up about 5 years ago. If you are using spikes (or any metal that might be detrimental to a logger) to build your treestand, you would be liable for an administrative penalty.

JT

Tuffcity
11-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Brotherjack, now you're just spreading nasty rumours. ;) As far as I know there is no law that says you have to remove your stand. If there is I'm regularly guilty of leaving one up for the season. Never seen it mentioned in the Reg's.

RC

brotherjack
11-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Brotherjack, now you're just spreading nasty rumours. ;) As far as I know there is no law that says you have to remove your stand. If there is I'm regularly guilty of leaving one up for the season. Never seen it mentioned in the Reg's.

After poking around in all the regs I have access to, and on google to boot - I have to conclude you're correct. I am a rumor monger I guess... :mrgreen:

Re: the Forrest Act thing - for me I wouldn't be spiking a tree anyway, not that I own any stands, but I'd use either climbing stands, or I'd use ratchet ties to clamp any platform type stand to the tree(s).

Hrmm.... this opens up potentially a whole new world for my hunting endeavours....

rock
11-15-2005, 10:26 PM
The only thing I can think of is through the foresty you not allowed to destroy a tree or spike it because of the logging. Could be wrong.

huntwriter
11-16-2005, 10:52 AM
My opinion on permanent build treestands made of wood is that they are highly unsafe to use especially if they are older. Second, they are highly visible not only to game animals but also to other hunters (I once had a run in with a slob sitting in my treestand, when I told him to get moving he bcame abusieve and mumbeld something about "Finders keepers". Well he got moving rather quick after that).

In many talks with hunters about treestands on my seminars one point came out very clearly, the more years you hunt from such a stand the less deer will show up. Oh yes, you may find a lot of deer tracks, even an actieve trail, right under that stand. But come hunting season the deer will avoid the stand location like a cat avoids a dog. Deer are not stupid. Another important aspect is that a permanent stand makes the hunter immobile. The trick to hunting success is to stay mobile and relocate where the deer action is.

redneckdale
11-16-2005, 02:20 PM
great thread, huntwriter, i recently got a gorilla hang on stand and have become famillar with it in the back yard, any suggestions for a me before i use it in the feild(probally tomorrow)?

thanks Dale:cool:

greybark
11-16-2005, 02:29 PM
My opinion on permanent build treestands made of wood is that they are highly unsafe to use especially if they are older. Second, they are highly visible not only to game animals but also to other hunters (I once had a run in with a slob sitting in my treestand, when I told him to get moving he bcame abusieve and mumbeld something about "Finders keepers". Well he got moving rather quick after that).

In many talks with hunters about treestands on my seminars one point came out very clearly, the more years you hunt from such a stand the less deer will show up. Oh yes, you may find a lot of deer tracks, even an actieve trail, right under that stand. But come hunting season the deer will avoid the stand location like a cat avoids a dog. Deer are not stupid. Another important aspect is that a permanent stand makes the hunter immobile. The trick to hunting success is to stay mobile and relocate where the deer action is.

Hey Huntwriter , If you are not in your permanet treestand then it is first come first serve. It appears you labled this hunter as a slob before you even talked to him and when he did nothing wrong. If I was in the stand I would not have moved (Maybe I would have moved if you presented yourself in a pleasant manner and explained that you had been in that stand for the last three days)

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Jetboater
11-16-2005, 02:50 PM
In many talks with hunters about treestands on my seminars one point came out very clearly, the more years you hunt from such a stand the less deer will show up. Oh yes, you may find a lot of deer tracks, even an actieve trail, right under that stand. But come hunting season the deer will avoid the stand location like a cat avoids a dog. Deer are not stupid. Another important aspect is that a permanent stand makes the hunter immobile. The trick to hunting success is to stay mobile and relocate where the deer action is.[/quote]

I dont know about that, as I have shot seven deer out of the same permanent stand and all the deer have walked past in the same manner,
but I do believe that you should never gut a deer near where your stand is.