PDA

View Full Version : Sheep optics

CSG
03-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Looking to do some sheep hunting this fall and was looking for some advice on optics.

Wondering what would come in more useful a spotting scope or binocs?
What kind of power binocs would you bring with you? With weight being such a factor could you manage to hunt with just some good binoculars? or with a good spotting scope?

Any other ideas or things to consider on a sheep hunt, this will be my first

30-378-magnum
03-24-2009, 09:56 PM
this is my final answer......... SWAROVSKI 20x60 power............. pick objective size 50mm or 80 mm.................... regular or hd model ..................... thats it pick one................. and buy it you wont regret it

bridger
03-24-2009, 09:57 PM
lots of thread in the archives on this, but to answer your question imo you need both good binos and a good spotting scope. the spotting scope will save you hours and miles when sizing up rams. get the very best you can afford. if you go cheap on optics it will cost you more in the long run if you turn into a serious sheep hunter as you will constantly upgrade. buy good ones and if you don't become a sheep hunter you can always sell them good luck

bridger
03-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Looking to do some sheep hunting this fall and was looking for some advice on optics.

Wondering what would come in more useful a spotting scope or binocs?
What kind of power binocs would you bring with you? With weight being such a factor could you manage to hunt with just some good binoculars? or with a good spotting scope?

Any other ideas or things to consider on a sheep hunt, this will be my first
get good rain gear, sleeping bag and tent. things are alway better when you are warm and dry.

Riggzers
03-24-2009, 10:53 PM
My sheep bud and I now pack a compact spotting scope and a swarovski 20 60 power. This is because it always seem that we locate the sheep and there are always two rams worth looking at in different bands. so we will split up. Seem like this is over kill on the weight of your pack. Several times while hunting sheep we seperate at the begining to cover more ground. More often than not the guy with the good scope see's little and the guy with only bino's see's everything. Only it usally just to far away to tell the total quality of the rams. So my advice is buy two. A large model and a compact of some description this way you have all angles coverd.

budismyhorse
03-25-2009, 08:18 AM
my opinion, get the best Bins you can, pay the German extortionists...it is worth it by a long shot.

then get a decent spotting scope..

after a few years get pissed off at your spotting scope and upgrade it as well.

90% of you time is spent looking through bins and your hunt will be won and lost by your binos.....not really your Spotter.

please note, that percentages may vary depending on hunter style and situation.

bruin
03-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Like everyone has said here, get the best you can afford. Swarovski's have no equal.
However, as a past student/sheep guide I had to stretch my dollar where I could. For a few seasons I used a baush and lomb 20-45 power and a set of 10x42 bausch and lomb elite binos. They did good enough and I still use the binos. Don't go sheep hunting without a spotting scope, it can save you miles of walking and possibly be the difference between success and not. I would agree with bud on the binos theory but I wouldn't rank them above your spotter in importance, I would say they are equal. What species are you hunting?

BlacktailStalker
03-25-2009, 09:50 AM
I've only done one sheep hunt (last year) and I say you cant get by on one or the other unless you want to do 10x more walking and miss 5x more game.
Swaro 65mm HD spotter w/20-60x eyepiece on Slik613CF tripod, with Jim White tripod head.
Swaro 10x42 EL binos.

crazysheephunter
03-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Like everyone said, get the best bang for your buck.I use the Leupold Goldring spotting scope 12x40x60,its a great scope light and compact.As for your bins, cant go wrong with the Leupold Gold rings either, for the money,if you have unlimited spending then definitley the Zeiss or Leica.
Some other items you might consider is good rain gear, Helly Hansen, good boots with support, good pack with waste belt and good shoulder straps, maybe some treking poles also.
All these items are good, things i use, it all really is personal preference and budget of course.
Have fun and good luck!

CSG
03-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the replies

I am gonna go stone hunting this year in the muncho lake area and I have all the gear to camp I just need to get myself some optics and a pack.

Money is an issue thats why I ask if I need both. I think from the replies it sounds like I should get binos to start and hope that I can afford a scope sometime before I go

budismyhorse
03-25-2009, 09:47 PM
stones around muncho are tame, you won't need good bins, just walk up with a peice of lettuce.....
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Muncho_Stones.jpg

Riggzers
03-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Nice rock slide photo I swere that ram there ever time I go buy but he stays 7 years old an 7/8 curl

budismyhorse
03-25-2009, 10:25 PM
ahh, there were three, all legal full curl,

this one makes er on the drivers side.

I had to crop it to get a fat bikers a$$ out of the frame.

Mugger
03-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Spend the money on bino's first, better the glass quality the easier it is on your eyes after hours of glassing for sheep. Also high end glasses can penatrate shaded areas at a ditance. Beware when glassing to avoid looking towards the sun, the flash the glass will give off will send any Ram out of the country. Glass from a shaded spot will eliminate this.