PDA

View Full Version : do you shoot in the dark?

elker
03-24-2009, 03:43 AM
even it is still within 1 hour after sunset, if it is dark, should you shoot an elk if it appears?

My understanding is that shooting in the dark can hurt other persons, because you don't see them as clear. also the injured animals will run away and you are not able to track them. and many more reasons....

BigBanger
03-24-2009, 04:02 AM
Because its a stupid thing to do .

NaStY
03-24-2009, 04:22 AM
Because its a stupid thing to do .

Legal is legal no matter what anyone says. Know your limits and shoot away....

M.Dean
03-24-2009, 06:31 AM
When shooting in early morning light or at dusk, both legal shooting times, I try my darnest not to shoot people. Some times I'll try to Shoo the people out of the way in the fading light, making my shot a little more safe for those people milling around where I'm hunting.

Gilmore
03-24-2009, 06:32 AM
As long as you've got a big ass light and a crossbow it's no big deal.:cool:

BiG Boar
03-24-2009, 06:55 AM
I would sugest using tracer bullets that light up the sky! But I would have to LMAO seeing M.Dean shooing people out of the way!!! Try lighting up the night sky with flares also, and use night vision scopes.

wolverine
03-24-2009, 07:31 AM
If you exercise a little patience you can get them when they walk under the street light.... the Elk I mean.

rocksteady
03-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Must be fishin season, thread starter is doing some more trolling.....2 in 2 days....may get a bite...

BiG Boar
03-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Member Elker

I am a newbie, never hunted yet.

vanislehunter1
03-24-2009, 08:32 AM
I would sugest using tracer bullets that light up the sky! But I would have to LMAO seeing M.Dean shooing people out of the way!!! Try lighting up the night sky with flares also, and use night vision scopes.
actually, i use thermal vision on all of my scopes now, and i gotta tell you, you can be alot more successful at hunting when using them!!:lol:

huntwriter
03-24-2009, 08:35 AM
even it is still within 1 hour after sunset, if it is dark, should you shoot an elk if it appears?

My understanding is that shooting in the dark can hurt other persons, because you don't see them as clear. also the injured animals will run away and you are not able to track them. and many more reasons....

If there is one thing that I hate about hunting then it is tracking a shot animal. Because of that I like to shoot them in the morning rather then at last light followed by tracking in the dark or worse yet go back the next morning to finish the job and retrieve the game.

I don’t think that there is more chance of shooting at a hunter in low light conditions. Responsible hunters only shoot at targets they have clearly identified and slob hunters will shoot at any movement in bright light and low light.

Steeleco
03-24-2009, 08:35 AM
You seem to have an affinity for questions that are bordering on "illegal activity" they serve little if any purpose except to get a rise out of other members.

If you can't ask genuine hunting questions, DON'T

I don't see this thread surviving any longer than the others?

ultramagbob
03-24-2009, 08:45 AM
I love this place:lol:

Gateholio
03-24-2009, 08:45 AM
You shouldn't shoot if you are not sure of your shot or if it will harm humans, regardless of if it is sunset or noon.

budismyhorse
03-24-2009, 09:01 AM
a good rule is if you have to question something like that, for any reason...don't do it.

Though I feel stupid responding to a question like "do you shoot in the dark" .

have you passed your CORE exam?

Stone Sheep Steve
03-24-2009, 09:26 AM
It's okay to shoot in the dark but only if you're filling your wife's tag:wink:.

I find the last 15 minutes of legal light pretty much useless...even while sitting in a treestand and an animal walks right below me.

SSS

BlacktailStalker
03-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Whats with all these stupid posts Elker ??????????????
Shape up or ship out.

elker
03-24-2009, 09:45 AM
what a judgemental phenomenon!

when I questioned a hunter about his photo showing a hunter, an elk and darkness, everyone came for his defence.

when I post this question whether you can shoot in the dark, everyone treat me as a poacher

come on guys, you can not have it both ways.

elkdom
03-24-2009, 09:47 AM
ABSOLUTELY NOT!, when hunting the best practice is to leave camp 2 HOURS after sunrise,
return to camp 2 HOURS before sunset!, also never hunt on real cloudy days because that could be considered a,,,,,, "dark day" :???:

I hope this helps!:-|

Gilmore
03-24-2009, 09:50 AM

when I questioned a hunter about his photo showing a hunter, an elk and darkness, everyone came for his defence.

when I post this question whether you can shoot in the dark, everyone treat me as a poacher

Ask stupid questions you might get stupid answers.:eek:

huntcoop
03-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Elker, you are awesome, keep up the good work.

ruger#1
03-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Heck no , im scared of the dark, I wait until mid day, thats when all the animals are feeding.

KodiakHntr
03-24-2009, 09:57 AM

You see, most everyone here hunts, and has shot an animal at the end of the day....And that would be the diffence. Most here, unlike you, actually hunt. Most everyone here, unlike you, understands that if you shoot an animal even with a full hour of daylight left you might not get to the photo-taking portion of the hunt until after dark. And a lot of people here also understand that if you use a flash for a picture it will LIGHT UP the foreground, and will make the background appear a lot DARKER than it actually is....

Everyone treats you like a poacher, because you ask questions that are designed to piss people off and stir things up, which shows your ignorance about all things hunting. And trying to stir things up for your own fun, THAT makes you a TROLL. (Also makes you look like a fool, but thats just a side benefit for us.)

ruger#1
03-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Im surprized he hasnt asked Kodiak if he shot that deer in the back of his truck in the dark. lmao

Johnnybear
03-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Im surprized he hasnt asked Kodiak if he shot that deer in the back of his truck in the dark. lmao

Don't feed the trolls:lol:.

huntcoop
03-24-2009, 10:06 AM
The best and only thing to shoot after dark is a 3 1/2 inch magnum 12 gauge shotgun loaded with buckshot and slugs.....but only do this after you've consumed copious amounts of Whiskey.

WARNING..the above statement may harm trees, the sky and bats. Please use common sense when drinking Whiskey.

rocksteady
03-24-2009, 10:07 AM
[quote=Steeleco;433429]You seem to have an affinity for questions that are bordering on "illegal activity" they serve little if any purpose except to get a rise out of other members.

If you can't ask genuine hunting questions, DON'T

quote]

X2

Phreddy
03-24-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't know what elkers' credentials or qualifications are and so I have to say that I've always impressed upon folks taking the CORE Program with me that the only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked.
With that in mind, I would have to say, no I don't shoot in the dark. One of the key components of hunter safety is to not only know what you're shooting at, but equally important, what's behind it.

Gateholio
03-24-2009, 12:05 PM

You are talking about 2 seperate things.

One is time of day for shooting at an animal, the other day is time of day of photography. They are 2 very different things.

elker, it looks to me as if you are just trolling with most of your posts. You will probably get banned....

BiG Boar
03-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Elker, you are a piece of work! Keep up the popcorn posts!

PGK
03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Can we ban this guy? Two lame trolls in a row.....do we really need that here?

Gateholio
03-24-2009, 12:34 PM

What irony...:cool:

huntwriter
03-24-2009, 12:44 PM

Why are you jealous? :lol:

bad arrow
03-24-2009, 01:54 PM
When shooting in early morning light or at dusk, both legal shooting times, I try my darnest not to shoot people. Some times I'll try to Shoo the people out of the way in the fading light, making my shot a little more safe for those people milling around where I'm hunting.

Why not just shoot in the direction of the bushes moving, then go see, unless there talking how do you know its people? A guy might miss out on a nice buck or something. lmao

ElkMasterC
03-24-2009, 02:10 PM
It's because of this thread.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=33087&page=12

I thought I'd post a coupla pics, having just got the bigger one back from Ray Wiens
(Pics on Ray's Sponsor Thread here: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26446&page=3 )

Elker, in his infinite knowledge of hunting, decided to start a fight, and question my morals.

Gr8 white hunter
03-24-2009, 02:23 PM
i know of some guys that shot a moose just befor dark they hit the moose they did not find it till the next morrning they cut it up huled it out brought to victoria they wanted it cut up.the hole moose was bone sour garbage so think about it what a wast of time ,good meat,and a good hunting trip dont be a FOOL

SteadyGirl
03-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Whats with all these stupid posts Elker ??????????????
Shape up or ship out.

Quit pretending you two aren't best friends!!!!

I like how you always trash talk, name call a la grade 2 and tell people what to do and how to do things. Bet its never worked out for ya though eh:lol:

RustyRipper
03-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Why not just shoot in the direction of the bushes moving, then go see, unless there talking how do you know its people? A guy might miss out on a nice buck or something. lmao

All fun aside I think guys on here, especially on this thread should be a little more careful when saying this type of stuff even if it is sarcastic. There has been talk of antis on the site watching for someone to make a slip so they can use it against us, not unlike what Elker tried to do to ElkmasterC by saving the picture "for later" as he said. I don't mean to make accusations but think about it, Elker has attemped to "innocently" ask ElkMasterC if he shot the elk at night, or deer as he thought it was, (Come on, my girlfriend knows the difference and has not hunted yet). Perhaps he was hoping that he had so that he could report it. Then he asks a question like, "do you shoot in the dark?" now unless you are native that is illegal and downright unethical, and I'm pretty sure you don't have to be half smart to know that. So perhaps he is trying to get certain people who are unaware to admit something illegal so he has something to report. I could be wrong but to be safe I would advise against making jokes with someone like this, If they can't tell the difference between an elk and a deer, or know if shooting in the dark is wrong or right, who's to say they can't tell if someone is joking or not?

ultramafic
03-24-2009, 02:49 PM
As some have previously suggested shooting in the dark without being able to identify a target could possibly be considered dangerous. Depending on the interpretation of the actions taken by the person shooting that person could end up falling into this definition...

Careless use of firearm, etc. (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fr/ShowDoc/cs/C-46/bo-ga:l_II_1::bo-ga:l_III//fr?page=3&isPrinting=false#codese:86)
86. (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fr/ShowDoc/cs/C-46/bo-ga:l_II_1::bo-ga:l_III//fr?page=3&isPrinting=false#codese:86) (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons.

A link to this ( Canadian Criminal Code ) can be followed to here scrolling down to section 86 on the list...

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/C-46/bo-ga:l_III-gb:s_85//en#anchorbo-ga:l_III-gb:s_85

For all those who were wondering, it appears that lawyers could possibly argue that shooting after dark in the under certain conditions could actually be illegal...

mike

digger dogger
03-24-2009, 02:58 PM
(make the anti say uncle). elker is obviously not a hunter. DO NOT MESS WITH A WOUNDED ELk, ELKER, but i'm sure you know that already

ElkMasterC
03-24-2009, 02:59 PM
People please read Rusty Rippers post, and the other thread about head shots (I posted the link above).

and:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/troll-web.jpg

GoatGuy
03-24-2009, 03:15 PM

I live in the dark - what else is a person supposed to do?

30-378-magnum
03-24-2009, 03:27 PM
i have a real problem trying to find game with my scope when its dark much easier during daylight

goatdancer
03-24-2009, 03:53 PM
i have a real problem trying to find game with my scope when its dark much easier during daylight

That's where those 5million candlepower spotlights come in handy.......

wildman 22
03-24-2009, 06:25 PM
elk master ,beautiful elk. but dont forget when you shot that elk in the dark,with your flashlight shining in his eyes you are not allowed to have it mounted with traditional glass elk eyes. you must have the eyes replaced with at minimum a 60 watt bulb.i'm thinking you forgot to tell your taxidermist the time of day when you shot your elk.

bsa30-06
03-24-2009, 06:34 PM
i missed this thread, just found it.......please dont lock it before my popcorn is ready.

olharley guy
03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
That's where those 5million candlepower spotlights come in handy.......

Doesn't every hunter on the Island own a couple of those lights? :lol:

quackquackbang
03-24-2009, 08:06 PM
HAHAHA thats all i have to say!!!

Goliath
03-24-2009, 08:13 PM
I've got tears in my eyes.

Thanks for making my day.

ElkMasterC
03-24-2009, 09:05 PM
elk master ,beautiful elk. but dont forget when you shot that elk in the dark,with your flashlight shining in his eyes you are not allowed to have it mounted with traditional glass elk eyes. you must have the eyes replaced with at minimum a 60 watt bulb.i'm thinking you forgot to tell your taxidermist the time of day when you shot your elk.

Damn, I wonder if it's too late to drill a couple holes and run some wires?
That would be cool at night.
One red, one green, Like a Ship of the Forest.
Great idea!

Johnnybear
03-24-2009, 09:36 PM
I like how you always trash talk, name call a la grade 2 and tell people what to do and how to do things. Bet its never worked out for ya though eh:lol:

Maybe SteadyGirl is Elker:!:. She likes to post nonsense, is obviously going through a mid life crisis, and doesn't know anything about hunting........:lol:

Don't shoot in the dark. Know your time tables (their on the net you know). Stay within the law. Read the regs.

ElkMasterC
03-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Anyone with "Elk" in their handle always turns out to be a complete a$$hole.
There's Elker, Elkdom...... I'm sure there are others.
Love,
ElkMasterC

(Had to commemorate my thousandth post somehow!)

30-378-magnum
03-24-2009, 10:39 PM
i shot one off once in the dark ....wife caught me and made me wipe it up

Phil
03-24-2009, 10:43 PM
I like to shoot while deep in the bush:lol:

30-378-magnum
03-24-2009, 10:47 PM
I like to shoot while deep in the bush:lol:

hahahahahhahaahahhaahahahaaahaahahahaha

kootenayelkslayer
03-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Anyone with "Elk" in their handle always turns out to be a complete a$$hole.

Ain't that the truth.