PDA

View Full Version : The hunt for rifles. what's good for a newbie?

newbiegunnerjake
03-23-2009, 11:09 PM
I've decided to get a 30-06 for deer hunting around Hope and also want to get a .22 for fun hunting. well... all hunting should be fun right?? I was hoping for some insight on what are some good rifles and good dealers as I'd like to buy new. I saw a remington 59s .22lr for less than $200 from Reliable in Vancouver. Is that a good rifle for the price?

Steeleco
03-23-2009, 11:58 PM
If you know 30.06 is for you, the next consideration is how the rifle "fits" you.
There's lots of other issues like mag style, barrel length and such. They all have their place, but it the rifle doesn't fit you, you won't shoot to your potential. Shoulder a few and see which ones feel best. You'll know it when you find it.

sugar
03-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Hey- I am also new to hunting, and last fall bought a Remington 700 SPS DM
(Special Purpose Synthetic Detachable Mag) in 30-06. I did countless hours of research online and with some local 'pros' that I know. I also came to the decision that the 30-06 was the best to go with as a first and best all around caliber for the new hunter.

I was originally going to buy a Remington or Savage kit gun, but after lots of reading decided against it. I looked at some while in Calgary and they are just cheaply constructed tools. I found the Remington that I bought was the best bang for my buck. I paid just over $500 from Russels in Calgary, (same rifle now goes for over $700 on Wholesale Sports website). So far I am happy with it, and am sure after a few seasons I will want to specialize my caliber a bit more, but for now I am happy with my purchase.

steelheadSABO
03-25-2009, 03:54 PM
you cant go wrong with a remington 700 or a winchester mod 70

quackquackbang
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
I have a Savage 16fcss and its a pretty sweet little rifle take a look at them also!!!:cool:

Mr. Friendly
03-25-2009, 06:20 PM
the new Marlin XL7 (long action caliber's .30-06, .270 & .25-06) is also popular. I just got mine in 30.06 and I'm looking forward to taking it out soon! Marlin is also about to release the XS7 (short action caliber's .308 [which is just as capable as the .30-06], 7mm-08 & .243). They come in black synthetic, camo synthetic and Marlin is releasing an XL7W in wood/laminate(?).

I'm not sure who in BC has these as I bought mine from Prophet River (Alberta) for $445 taxed & shipped.

spreerider
03-25-2009, 07:34 PM
go to a gun store and try out the entire inventory and see how they feel to you then pick one you liked the feel of or find a similar model thats better or cheaper

GRIZLY HUNTER
04-04-2009, 09:46 AM
I have a Marlin XL7 in a .270cal. Very good rifle ,very accurate.

eaglesnester
04-04-2009, 02:41 PM
You did good on your purchase of a rifle. All your research paid off, that 06 will take anything in North America with the exception of the great bears. And it will take them too if you undertake good shot placement. As for your choice in a 22, that's going to be a tougher decision. The quality of new rifles today is bad and getting worse, cheap stamped metal action parts, many jams, fail to eject, and fail to fire. These problems are occurring with most all brands of 22 rifles. Do not buy the rifle unless you can handle it and inspect it, better yet you should fire it but that will probably be impossible unless you purchase it first. One rifle you might want to look at that will enable you to side step the problems is a WeatherbyXll. Big bucks but a rock solid Anshutz action you won't go wrong here and you will be given that rifle to your grandkids.

brotherjack
04-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Tikka T3 Stainless for your "big gun", a CZ 452 for your 22, an older Remington 870 Wingmaster for a shotgun, and you're done with all your "needs". Everything after that is just fun. :)

Jehiah
04-04-2009, 05:12 PM
30-06 is a pretty timeless calibre but Id check out the .308 WIN. Check out a few balistics charts and compare it with your 30-06 choice. the .308 has less recoil and is a shorter action which makes shooting easier and more comfortable. The balistics are pretty comparable too.
I have a Tikka so I second that choice. They shoot very well.

MattW
04-04-2009, 05:36 PM
I'd take a good look at the Ruger 77 Hawkeye, a good rifle and they come with rings so a good value too. If you get a Ruger 77/22 you'll have a matching 22 to go with your 30-06 which would be pretty slick.

husky30-06
04-04-2009, 07:13 PM
30-06 is a pretty timeless calibre but Id check out the .308 WIN. Check out a few balistics charts and compare it with your 30-06 choice. the .308 has less recoil and is a shorter action which makes shooting easier and more comfortable. The balistics are pretty comparable too.
I have a Tikka so I second that choice. They shoot very well.

i started on a 30-06 and never changed.... but most of the young guys start on the 308 and do very well. I would say for a new hunter stry those two first and see how they shoot and feel for the shooter. good luck~~

high and to the right
04-04-2009, 07:46 PM
I don't think you can do much better than the Ruger 10/22 for an all around fun and accurate gun to shoot. I've had 4 22's (only 3 now) and they all sit in the gun case because the 10/22 has been so good for almost 2 decades now that it's the only one I take out.

moosinaround
04-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Check omineca's gun list posted on this site! There are a couple of huskies used in 30'06 I was going to look at for my son. They have a wicked inventory in their new store in PG too! Give em a "shot" with your business, you might be surprised! Moosin

04-06-2009, 12:23 AM
Just thoughts here,
I assume $ is the limiting factor as it is for most.
I would get a 870 instead of a 22.
you can still shoot grouse with a shotgun, but you can also go duck and goose hunting with it. you can pick up a used 870 for around 300$ and i will last forever. plus plinking with a .22 in no where near as much fun as blasting clays, or anything else you can throw into the air.

BC Hunter
04-08-2009, 09:14 PM
There is just a mind boggling amount of selection of rifles out there and it is confusing and bewildering to even a well experienced shooter. Add calibre selection, then cartridge, then the selection of weight of bullet (measured in grains [1 grain weighing the amount of a grain of wheat]) and you have the things many arguments, friendly and at times not so friendly, have arisen for many decades.

That’s part of the fun.

You cannot go wrong with an ’06. Spend as much time as possible on the range. To cut your costs a little you can get into reloading for a few dollars more.

If you ask a seasoned hunting guide what he likes to see a hunter carry he’ll tell you a hunter with a well worn rifle that he carries comfortably.