PDA

View Full Version : Tuchodi River Hunt by Riverboat

RiverBoatFantasy
03-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Cancelled due to lack of game and serious injury

Rock Doctor
03-23-2009, 10:02 PM
$250.00 in fuel takes me there and back, no problem:tongue:.
What are you running for boat? Have you done the trip before?
You will have a blast, weather permitting, the place is awesome:)

:wink:
RD

BCRiverBoater
03-23-2009, 11:03 PM
I may be interested. I have one trip planned but I am always in for a good trip. A bunch of us are heading up this spring for a fishing trip.

hunter1947
03-24-2009, 06:46 AM
I would be after this chance to go up into the Tuchodi but is to far for me to travel ,I have read many of books over the years about the game that has come out of that area.

BiG Boar
03-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Dang what an offer! What are you after?

Manglinmike
03-24-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm also looking for a fall trip and haven't been into that drainage yet,why don't you PM me your dates that you would like to go and someguidelines as to what the $ may be.I have a few friends that have gone up and I am told that they would share info with me.

Blainer
04-09-2009, 03:06 PM
By the way, I call BS on the $250:smile: Unless of course your boat is a tiny little thing with no room or carrying capacity.

It depends how far you go, how big a load on the way up, how much headwind, and the price per liter for fuel.Here we go again.
Popcorn is ready.
Why would you ask for information and then call B.S.

Sitkaspruce
04-09-2009, 03:27 PM
By the way, I call BS on the $250:smile: Unless of course your boat is a tiny little thing with no room or carrying capacity.

It depends how far you go, how big a load on the way up, how much headwind, and the price per liter for fuel.

Trolling for more crap RBF????

I will watch this one, although RD is way above this guy in intelligence, so I will be surprised if he bites.......

Cheers

SS

Rock Doctor
04-09-2009, 03:36 PM

It depends how far you go, how big a load on the way up, how much headwind, and the price per liter for fuel.

Actually it's not too far off. 4 hrs up to the first lake at about 8gals/hr and about 3hrs home at about 6gals/hr (Average, I burn almost nothing coming down the Tuchodi). Just over a buck for a litter of Purple Gas. (These estimates are high, I wouldn't actually go through this much fuel)
50 gals of fuel = about 225 liters = about $250.00:tongue:

When I go to Tuchodi, I have my Tanks filled 12gals each, 2 of them. Other than that I usually take 10 (or less) Jerry cans, 5 gals each. That adds up to about 75 gals total. Enough so that I can run up past the second lake to the falls and still have gas to play around a bit.

I'm not here to BS ya, I've posted many pics and vids, check them out. You won't find any with my boat loaded up with fuel bbls or cans.:smile:
My boat is a little over 18 ft long and 6 ft wide.

RD

beastman
04-09-2009, 04:08 PM
I see you have no problem chiming in either. Well good to know a man is in the company of "keyboard" experts.
As of this moment you would be the only keyboard expert here.
Rockdoctor's experience speaks for itself,watch some youtube of his stuff and then call him a keyboard expert...bahahaha
His videos rock!!! and they show his ability as a pilot....wadda you got??:tongue:

Rock Doctor
04-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Trolling for more crap RBF????

I will watch this one, although RD is way above this guy in intelligence, so I will be surprised if he bites.......

Cheers

SS

Sorry to disapoint you SS. Didn't really think of it as Biting, was just trying to help the guy out:-D. Although it is kinda wierd that I just posted on another thread that ALL jetboaters are lyers when it comes to fuel consumption:olol.

Gateholio
04-09-2009, 04:54 PM
I hope nobody freaks out and starts another thread to bash me, but here goes:

Le'ts try to keep our insults to ourselves, and make sure this thread stays civil, please.

:smile:

mark
04-09-2009, 07:19 PM
You are just the type I would love to take through French Bar canyon. It would change your life for the better.

All the crap and insults aside here.... have you actually been through french bar????
what month???
Did you go up, or down it, or both???
Ive been there many times, but thats where every boat turns around, and Ive done some crazy stuff in my boats!

And for the record, Roc Doc is a very stand up, no BS member here, I would take his advise as very accurate info!

hunter1947
04-12-2009, 06:17 AM
RBF I hope you find a couple arden hunters or others that takes this opportunity to go with you on this trip http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Sounds like a blast and a hell of an adventure ,good luck with your trips this fall ,I would love to go with you but I am committed to my elk hunts in the EK ,http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif H-47.

bridger
04-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Yes Mark. Twice. Its a matter of going slow and riding with the swells and not try to cut through them at high speed. You must pick your way through the waves and not get sideways. Really not that difficult. The thing that makes it difficult is how quickly the boat will disappear and how long you will be in the water (if you survive) before you can get to shore.

September both times.

I have been much more afraid while crossing Atlin Lake during the middle of the day. It is a little unsettling when every 6th or 7th wave blows right over the top of the windshield. You pray that the snaps hold the top in position. Especially when loaded with moose, goats, and sheep.

At French Bar, one has to make sure not to nosedive into the "death hole" on the way down.

I always go have a look whenever I am in the area. Sometimes it looks too scary. Its been many years since I've been through. Age has a way of mellowing one's daring spirit.

One day I shall go down from above if the stars align in my favor.

Yup, I agree, about RocDoc. We've been talking.

The thread was hijacked with unwarranted comments relating to fuel economy. That's why I called b.s. I can tell you with great sincerity, my boat burns twice as much fuel as the Doctor's. I guarantee it!

I have learned all about sinking boats, smashing boats, driving boats, rescuing boats, and maintaining boats by doing it. All seat of the pants knowledge. Sorry no videos. I dont allow it. All passengers must hang on with both hands!

p.s. not every boat turns around at French Bar Canyon. Not every boat makes it home either...............................

rbf you are a rare breed of river boater in that you readiy admit that your boat burns a lot of fuel and needs water to stay afloat . most riverboaters will swear that their boat runs on fumes and wet grass. My boat burns 8 or 9 gallons an hour with a load on going up the tuchodi and needs water in the river to get there. good luck this fall.. if you go by dead dog flats and see a green 23 footer and about a dozen horses stop in for a beer. bridger

RiverBoatFantasy
05-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks to all who expressed interest.

Two trips are fully planned this season and the boat is full.

Trip #1 is a Stone's sheep hunt on opening day. A couple of he-man bow hunter types want to try thier skills on a ram. Going to take them into a bowhunting "sweet spot". Going to stay until after Aug. 15 and blast some pre-rut velvet elk off of the river bank before the mob shows up. Tender, Yummy, and covered in fat. They love to stand sideways and look at you that time of year.

Trip #2 is the "Fill your boots safari". Going to do it in October. Elk, Moose, grandpappy Stone's rams down low, and unhunted monster muley bucks. Maybe a river bottom whitetail if we bump into one. Gotta hike your arse off in the snow for a crack at a big ram and buck. Elk and moose from shore or very close.

Should be a great time as long as we dont freeze our tails off in October. The hunting in October is like nothing a person could possibly experience - especially with 6" - 12" of snow. Easy to see 200 - 300 elk per day.

BlacktailStalker
05-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Sounds like 2 awesome hunts, I think I need a river boat !

I've always wondered this, say you're headed 5-10 days in the hills by foot and your boat is pulled ashore. Is there problems with other boaters vandalizing/tampering/syphoning or stealing from the boats ?

RiverBoatFantasy
05-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Well I suppose it could happen. Especially moreso these days with the decline in moral standards and general lack of respect evident in society.

I have never had a problem. Do not know anyone that has.

Heck, where I live, I still never lock the doors!

Rock Doctor
05-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Sounds like 2 awesome hunts, I think I need a river boat !

I've always wondered this, say you're headed 5-10 days in the hills by foot and your boat is pulled ashore. Is there problems with other boaters vandalizing/tampering/syphoning or stealing from the boats ?

As RBF said, it's pretty rare.
A guy just can't know if you're watching him from some place "within range":wink:

There have been some problems in the past, myself and others I know have had gas cans "grow legs". but not so much in the last few yrs.

RD