PDA

View Full Version : Deka Lake near 100 mile house

island grown
03-23-2009, 07:30 PM
hey there everyone,
i am planning a trip up to Deka Lake for a fall hunting trip. hopefully for mulie's and moose. can anyone give me any info on this area??? i have never had the chance to come to the mainland for a hunting trip.
i will be trying to head up there this spring to check the area out. i usually wouldn't be able to afford this trip but i have a friends house at Deka Lake to stay in. it's a little more affordable with free accommodation.
thank you for any help you can offer.
one more question, is there an opening for moose in this area or is it draw only. yes you can tell. i have never been moose hunting before. thanks again.

steelheadSABO
03-23-2009, 07:38 PM
im pretty sure its leh only for moose and there is endless places to go hunting lots of moose sighn everywhere and mulie sighn as well.

MIL720
03-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Deka lake area is region 5-1.LEH only.If you go a little further east you will hit region 3, spike fork season.

island grown
03-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Deka lake area is region 5-1.LEH only.If you go a little further east you will hit region 3, spike fork season.

sorry if this is a silly question. is a spike fork a Two point moose?? i will look it up in the reg's.
thanks

Flingin' Sticks
03-23-2009, 08:34 PM
yes, All moose in 5-1 are on LEH, and I believe the odds are around 10:1 (not great). Region 3 is only about a half hour down back down Hwy 24, and they do have a spike fork (two point or less on one side) season. Whether or not that specific unit does, someone else will have to tell you as I don't have the regs with me right now. there are lots of mulies and a few whitetails in 5-1 also, but even more hunters it seems, especially later in the season. Good luck.

blackbart
03-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Hello Island Grown. The Moose in region 5, as previously stated are LEH. Apply for a tag and you never know. There is a decent population of Mule Deer, but relatively few Whitetails. Your information regarding limited $$ is actually a good thing in regards to chances for success. Park the truck and walk, you will save gas $$ and both enjoy the hunt far more and have a better chance of success. It costs nothing to sit on a log all day!

island grown
03-24-2009, 09:48 AM
OK, i've been going through the reg's this morning trying to get a grasp on this area. this is what i have found.

in MU 5-1 i can take one mulie buck from sept. 10th to nov. 20th.
and one white tail buck from sept. 10th to nov.30th.

and for moose, if i head down to MU's 3-30, 3-31, 3-39 there is a spike fork season from sept. 20th to oct. 31st.

so am i reading the reg's properly???

like i said before, i have never hunted on the mainland before and want to make sure i am doing everything properly.

also when traveling between MU's how do you know exactly where you are. do you use the hunting regs maps and the back road map books.

thanks for any help

MIL720
03-24-2009, 11:20 AM
sound right....dates may vary a little in the new regs.There are some MU signs out there, but for the most part, pay attention to the reg maps and back road map to always know where you are..

island grown
03-24-2009, 01:51 PM
man thats frustrating...

i have never applied for the LEH before and now i'm just learning how the system works. i popped into Gone Fishing the other day and they told me i was to late and i can't apply for any this year. they also told me that i could apply as many times as i want to try and get better odds.
how can they give out information like that.

they told me i would have to wait until 2010 until i could apply.

MichelD
03-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Well that is obviously the wrong place to seek advice.

I would take my business elsewhere.

The LEH guide doesn't even come out until May for this fall and next year's spring season LEH opportunities.

Here is last year's for you to study in order to familiarize yourself with the system.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/leh.html#Synopsis

Also, you should know this. This is an old notice from the ministry, but many areas including 5-1 have shared hunts now.

6. LIMITED ENTRY SHARED MOOSE HUNTS

Limited Entry Shared moose hunts were introduced in the 2001 draw on an experimental basis for late bull hunts in Region 3 only. They are similar to group hunts, but instead of all group members being entitled to take a moose, there is a group limit.

Under Limited Entry Shared Hunting, a group of two may take only one moose, while a group of three or four may take two moose. It does not matter which group member actually harvests the moose, but all participating group members must possess a valid moose hunting licence and no individual group member may kill more than one moose.

The idea behind Limited Entry Shared moose hunting is to give more hunters the opportunity to hunt without significantly increasing the number of moose harvested.

island grown
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
question about the shared moose hunts?

can a person apply for an LEH for themselves/by themselves and apply for the shared hunt? or can you only apply for one or the other.

thanks for the help so far guys, it's a little intimidating heading to new hunting grounds.

cheers

Phil
03-25-2009, 08:31 PM
One or the other. I know the area well and recomend you spend some time up there scouting before your LEH if you win. There few moose in the area.