View Full Version : Help save BC Salmon stocks

RustyRipper
03-23-2009, 02:03 PM
The following is the most recent letter BC salmon activist Alexandra Morton has sent. Below this letter is a link to sign the petition which can help big time, if you love to fish salmon, wether you are sport or commerciial, you should do it. Following the letter is an article from the Globe and Mail..

Dear Minister of Fisheries the honourable Gail Shea and Premier Campbell:

As noted in the Globe and Mail this morning, I have been sending you this letter for a month with no reply. What began with 100 signatures from local fishermen has grown to 7,309 signatures from around the world, but predominately British Columbia (5,785).

Premier Campbell, your government has allowed this industry to expand in the face of the most alarming wild salmon declines we have ever seen on this coast.

Minister Shea, this is not a situation of your making, but you have the opportunity to bring reason to this mess.

I will continue to take signatures to help you move past status quo and bring salmon “farming” into compliance with the laws of Canada. BC Supreme Court ruled they are no longer “farms,” they are a fishery. There is debate now as to whether Marine Harvest and the other salmon “farming” companies actually own their fish when they put them into Canadian waters,

All we are asking is for the Fisheries Act to be applied to this industry. As wild salmon decline all the other related fisheries have been increasingly restricted.....except the marine feedlot fishery.

This is a threat to our coastal communities and the economy of British Columbia.

Standing by,

Alexandra Morton

To sign the petition to apply the Fisheries Act to fish farms the way it is applied to fishermen please click on the link below.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cEkxX3p3MGFBbWNVVGNVU3lxQnBwQmc6M A. (http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cEkxX3p3MGFBbWNVVGNVU3lxQnBwQmc6M A.).

The Globe and Mail
Fisheries ignored 500 names. Can it ignore 5,000?
by Mark Hume
March 23, 2009

VANCOUVER -- The form letter that Premier Gordon Campbell and federal Fisheries Minister Gail Shea keep ignoring is just getting longer.
In circulation for only a few weeks, it already has nearly 5,000 signatories, and more names are being added daily as it circulates on the Web.
When it first went to the politicians, 500 names were affixed. It was ignored, so it went back into circulation and soon was resubmitted with 2,000 names, then with 4,000. It's making the rounds again this week, and is still growing.
Started by research scientist and fisheries activist Alexandra Morton, the letter asks the government to take decisive action to protect wild salmon from the threats posed by salmon farms.
One of the key requests is that salmon farms be moved away from wild salmon migration routes because of the transmission of sea lice from caged fish.
The people who signed the letter worry that salmon farms are an unacceptable risk to wild stocks.
And that fear is about to be heightened by a study being released today that shows juvenile sockeye from the Fraser River are encountering fish farms at an alarming rate.
Michael Price, a biologist with Raincoast Conservation Foundation, and Craig Orr, executive director of Watershed Watch, studied 800 wild sockeye collected in 2007-08 in northern Georgia Strait.
About 70 per cent of those fish had one to 20 sea lice attached to them. And the fish caught near farms were the most likely to be infected.
"The lice levels appear to be higher near farms," said Mr. Price, who is still analyzing the data.
Past studies by Ms. Morton have documented the spread of lice from farms to wild pink and chum salmon in the Broughton Archipelago, an area off Vancouver Island's northeast shoulder.
But the study by Mr. Price and Dr. Orr looks at sockeye, and for the first time uses DNA analysis to trace the infected fish to their watershed of origin.
The researchers conclude most of the sockeye they caught migrating near salmon farms (60 per cent in 2007 and 99 per cent in 2008) came from the Fraser River.
Sockeye are the most valuable of all salmon species because they draw a higher price on the market and because they are the fish of choice for native food and ceremonial fisheries.
Mr. Price and Dr. Orr have now linked the most valuable fish, from B.C.'s most important salmon river, to farms and lice.
Mr. Price said juvenile sockeye can follow three routes as they migrate through Georgia Strait on the outward leg of their journey to the Gulf of Alaska.
"But all these routes converge before the Broughton Archipelago [at the north end of Georgia Strait] where there are a dozen farms," he said.
"It's clear that no fish can make this journey without encountering a farm."
Mr. Price said studies have shown that one to three lice can kill a juvenile pink salmon, so it's fair to assume sockeye are dying as well.
Could this help explain the collapse of Fraser River sockeye stocks?
Some people will no doubt find this an alarming possibility.
The form letter, triggered by concerns about pink and chum, describes wild salmon as "the backbone of the B.C. Coast," and urges both Ms. Shea and Mr. Campbell to protect migrating wild stocks from fish farms.
So far, the politicians have been able to ignore the ever-growing letter. But the new study can only ratchet up the pressure.
Now that people know it's not just pink salmon, but Fraser River sockeye stocks that are at risk, one has to wonder how many more names will get added to that letter.

ElkMasterC
03-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Good on you for finding that.
I saw Alexandra in a Documentary awhile back, and emailed the production company to pass on my appreciation a few years back.
Well, I got an email back from the lady herself, and we corresponded for awhile.
Nice person doing great work.
EMC

martyonthewater
03-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Great cause to post a link for, thanks. With all the hysteria surrounding guns/gangs it's easy for things like this to slip by the public eye and consequently die in the water (no pun intended). It's an important resource that once is gone will stay gone and no-one wants to see that.

RustyRipper
03-23-2009, 07:25 PM
That's totally true marty, this issue is easily overlooked, but I have been in contact with Alexandra Morton and when she asked if I could help by letting more people know and getting people to sign on, I thought what better place than on HBC? Hope you guys both signed up, thanks.

boatdoc
03-23-2009, 07:45 PM
No guarantee that if fish farms were eliminated that the fish would come back, sea lice are far from the only problem. Every industry has an environmental impact, should we stop them all and then what?

NaStY
03-23-2009, 08:00 PM
No guarantee that if fish farms were eliminated that the fish would come back, sea lice are far from the only problem. Every industry has an environmental impact, should we stop them all and then what?

Stop the farms and put more money into hatchery's of wild native salmon. Most of the groups before this have caved. I got involved 5-6 yrs ago and nothing came of it because no one did anything.

Where is the salmon society?
Where is the Fraser river salmon society?
And many others we have put money into. There should be one group for all concerned. Lawyers in place ready to battle this crap. Start making EVERYONE accountable for OUR resources.

But to atlas, no one will join or at least very few. In 6months no one will care. And the same crap will just keep going on and all of us will just sit here and whine about it.......

boatdoc
03-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Stop the farms and put more money into hatchery's of wild native salmon. Most of the groups before this have caved. I got involved 5-6 yrs ago and nothing came of it because no one did anything.

Any hatchery fish is not wild, but augmenting truly wild stocks might help with a put and take fishery. Suppling us more opportunity to catch salmon.
I think we alot of work to do here in many areas in order to bring back the wild fish. I don't see how closing salmon farms will change much without the rest being restored, many streams culverted or poluted.
I don't see government paying for all this nor do i see you and me footing the bill.

RustyRipper
03-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Of course farms are not the one and only problem, very few problems of this nature are due to one sole cause. However biologists have found farms to be a Major problem, which is why we are and should be trying to govern them better. By governing them better I do not mean abolish them completely, but they need to comply with laws to reduce their impact. In my opinion I think they should have to be put on land with big tanks (such as the oyster farmers do) which is completely viable. Of course you could say "should we stop all the industries that cause a problem?" but that's the type of mentality that makes you think that it's impossible to fix the problem. However if you start with one, one can in turn fix the rest. And who are you to say that fish may NOT come back? what have you got to lose by trying? Have some faith and if you value your province's coastline and wild salmon then sign on.

boatdoc
03-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Hey RustyRipper I am thinking that Mrs Morton would like to shut down the ocean net pen fish farm industry. And you are right we should not give up our salmon without a fight!
Mabey i get my back up when any of the tree huggers types try to tell me about science, i feel she is cut from the same cloth as the people who try to stop hunting and fishing. I just have a hard time believing there retorect.
I am a person with his own opinion, thats what who i am to say the fish might not come back. I think you know its a long shot to get the fish back and they will never like they were, it makes me sad too.
I do value the fish but can't bring myself sign on to this.
I also support our local salmon enhancment society with direct monatarey donations.

spreerider
03-24-2009, 05:21 PM
However biologists have found farms to be a Major problem, which is why we are and should be trying to govern them better.

Just as many Biologists say fish farms are not a problem.
Also they are under the most strict regulation of any industry in canada, far more environmental damage is caused by forestry, mining and oil.
Alexandra Morton gets paid to opose salmon farming just like the anti hunting anti firearms lobiests get paid to do their job even if the argument is wrong or uses poor science.
Alexandra Morton has been accused of using poor methods in her studies such as not providing adiquate conditions for her test fish to live in thus insuring death of the subject without the addition of sealice or other factors.

If you have not read indepth both arguments than you should not post an uniformed opinion on the basis of a few articles.

If she was againsts sports fishing using similar methods would you support her?
If she said we need to remove all land based mamal farms or avian farms due to possible spread of diease to our wild animals would you support her?

All industries cause an impact and that industry should be pressured to minimize the effect of that impact, but there is a point where they should stop the ban this industry and change to helping the industry find better methods of operating.

RustyRipper
03-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Just as many Biologists say fish farms are not a problem.
Also they are under the most strict regulation of any industry in canada, far more environmental damage is caused by forestry, mining and oil.
Alexandra Morton gets paid to opose salmon farming just like the anti hunting anti firearms lobiests get paid to do their job even if the argument is wrong or uses poor science.
Alexandra Morton has been accused of using poor methods in her studies such as not providing adiquate conditions for her test fish to live in thus insuring death of the subject without the addition of sealice or other factors.

If you have not read indepth both arguments than you should not post an uniformed opinion on the basis of a few articles.

If she was againsts sports fishing using similar methods would you support her?
If she said we need to remove all land based mamal farms or avian farms due to possible spread of diease to our wild animals would you support her?

All industries cause an impact and that industry should be pressured to minimize the effect of that impact, but there is a point where they should stop the ban this industry and change to helping the industry find better methods of operating.

Okay where to start.... well first off to compare fish farms to mining and forest is like comparing apple and oranges. Sure they are both fruit but they are different things entirely, if you want to discuss mining and forestry start a new thread, this is about fish farms. They are not being strictly governed as you say, which is the issue in the first place. If you go back to my last post you will see that I did not say I would like to ban them completely but they find ways for them to decrease their impact (i.e. on land, or at least out of major salmon run paths). Don't think that my posts are "uninformed opinions" as you say, I have been a commercial salmon fisherman for over 20 years and I can see the difference in the amount of sea lice on salmon way more than any biologist or sports fisherman as I see a lot more fish. Since fish farms have been around sea lice have gone up like crazy (I used to find a couple lice on a fish on average, where as now It's not uncommon to find a hundred or more and they've usually eaten through to the meat which in turn will kill the fish) coincidence? I doubt it. It is you my friend who are uninformed, I do not base my opinions solely on articles from both sides as you might, I base mine on experience from myself, fellow fishermen (both commercial and sports) and biologists as well who all agree. You can't argue with that.

Johnnybear
03-24-2009, 11:04 PM
I read an article by her a while back and she is not an anti by any means. She said that the commercial trollers etc. should hang on to their licenses cause they will be like gold in the future (i.e catching them not farming them). I have read many books on this subject and I have not come to any solid conclusions about how to go about the farming issue. I do have solid feelings about it (don't like them myself). I personally don't think they are going away or are going to be shut down. I think they are here to stay. I think they should be majorly regulated more than they are (and that is the cost of doing business whether the farms like it or not).

As a sporty I have seen the increase in the lice as the commercial guys have. It is there don't try to hide it or get around it. It is a fact period.

I could spew off how I would like the world commercial fishery cut in half, ranching the oceans of the world to suit each country, and putting into place major non fishing marine preserves but then I would be called crazy:cool:.

I am optimistic about this years sports fishery from the reports coming in. Chinook and Coho numbers are predicted to be way up and the possibility of a sockeye opening is positve news IMO.

RustyRipper
03-24-2009, 11:47 PM
[quote=Johnnybear;433993]I read an article by her a while back and she is not an anti by any means. She said that the commercial trollers etc. should hang on to their licenses cause they will be like gold in the future (i.e catching them not farming them). quote]

Yes you're right Johnnybear, I forgot to mention that to spreerider as well, that alexandra morton is definitely not an anti. She supports commercial and sports alike. She is fighting the good fight and in my opinion doing a good job in our favor.