PDA

View Full Version : Trappers Needed

dutchie
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
One of my friends, best friends lives in Aldergrove and Has HUGE problems with Beavers.

I have been asked to help get rid of them:shock:. So I would like to pass the buck to someone that can help and knows that they are doing (or alot more then I do)

He probably has 20-30 beavers and they have about 6 dams on thier property.

If any trappers want to give a hand, mabey freeze the beaver for next years wolf season? or anything they do need help and no one has been able to help them out as of yet.

The dams have flooded thier house and property many many many times over the last few years.

PM's work great

dutchie

03-23-2009, 07:53 PM
not sure but can you shoot them?

Wild one
03-23-2009, 08:08 PM
You need a trappers license to shoot a beaver.

Chuck
03-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Used to be - Contact Gov't Fish & Game department or Conservation officer and he will contact the trapper who has legal right to that area. Then he comes over and traps them out. Has this changed? I dunno.

Manglinmike
03-23-2009, 09:06 PM
We had beaver prods at are cabin in Eastgate and the co said he had no time for beavers,and the local traper wanted to charge us to trap them!

RiverOtter
03-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Can't blame the trapper for charging, a beaver is a lot more work than financial return.

If'n you do plan on hiring a trapper to come in, I'd advise against trying yourself first. Beavers get learned up pretty quick, when you start teasing them with traps.....

DBM
03-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I'll pass along your contact info to a local trapper here to see if he's interested.

Pete
03-24-2009, 05:43 AM
We had beaver prods at are cabin in Eastgate and the co said he had no time for beavers,and the local traper wanted to charge us to trap them!

I good trapper should charge out for his work. You go to work in the morning and expect to be paid? So why would anyone feel that it would be any different for a trapper. His training and experence plus his equipment and vehicle cost all add up. coupled with the fact that a prime 3x beaver brought in only $20 at the last auction. Try calling in a Plumber to fix a leak and tell him he should fix your leak for free. Good luck cause it isn't going to happen.

hunter1947
03-24-2009, 06:41 AM
For gas and the coast of traps all add up when you are a trapper.

If I lived over there I would trap the beavers for you to clean them out i would charge you $ 50.00 a beaver that is a reasonable price.

My trapper friend that I trap with charges $100.00 a beaver.

I hope you find someone that will give you a deal.

RiverOtter
03-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Depending how big his property is, and without actually seeing it for myself, I'd doubt there are 20-30 beavers. Which is actually good news for you/him. Beavers move and build new damns as food supply/water levels dictate, and they don't take kindly to other colonies setting up shop in there neck of the creek.

For a ball park you're likely gonna have Mom and Pops, joined by 2-4 youngsters from the last 2 years, which would equal about 8-10 fuzzy wood cutters.....

KodiakHntr
03-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Flooded out their house and land? An explanation to the CO should get you approval to perforate a few of 'em I would think....

Don't know why I know this, but if you make a bit of a break in the top of the dam they will come repair it asap.

bowhunterbruce
03-24-2009, 10:26 AM
i heard that as well kodiac and have tried it and it really does work(the sound of running water is like bad music to a beavers ears) and they will come a swimming.a few years back when i was out on a long hunting trip with my mrs i was showing her that in the event you get lost how easy it was to catch a beaver and once i removed about a foot of debri and the water flowed beavers were there inside of 5 minutes.i stayed on the backside of thier damn and when i saw one on top comming over to investigate i stood with a stick and smashed the water right beside him.i could have had a very easy meal or 2. she was definatly a believer after that.

hunter1947
03-24-2009, 10:57 AM
The most beavers we have taken in a real populated area are 12 ,River Otter is right ,the adults chase the younger ones out of there area when they reach a certain age...

Stresd
03-24-2009, 12:23 PM
As the Lady who sold me the CB's at Otter Co-op would say. Sounds like a job for Langley shells.;)

dutchie
03-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Ohh this sounds like we can have a fun weekend with the running water idea!!

Thanks for the insight everyone!!

dutchie

30-378-magnum
03-24-2009, 11:03 PM
i dont know if your home is being threatened [floods ] im thinkin if it is legal to shoot firearms then im thinking it is pest eradication and should be legal to protect property

boxhitch
03-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Ohh this sounds like we can have a fun weekend with the running water idea!!

Thanks for the insight everyone!!

dutchieWhat are the regulations in that area pertaining to altering water flows in waterways ? Know your limits.

Gateholio
03-24-2009, 11:37 PM
What are the regulations in that area pertaining to altering water flows in waterways ? Know your limits.

Is making a small hole in a beaver dam considered "altering" a waterway? Seems it would have about as much permanent impact as if you accidently slipped down a muddy bank?

Singleshotneeded
03-24-2009, 11:54 PM
:D "Altering a waterway" involves digging irrigation trenches to draw water off from a stream to irrigate your land, without permission. Damaging a rodent's dam and then shooting the rodent on your property should be no one's business but the property owner. Use a .22, and don't tell any stupid antis about your little operation...have fun!

RiverOtter
03-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Will add, beavers is tough little units, so take your time and make your shots count(Read that head shots).

Have a little bowl in my skinning shed with a fair number of 22 bullets and buck shot, found lodged beneath little white scars in the hide......all healed up.

Assuming legallity and your discretion of course.............;)

Don't worry about punching to big a hole in the dam.
Most people run out of will, before they run out of dam....You'll see what I mean.........:p:lol:

Pete
03-25-2009, 11:52 AM
contrary to what most folks think you do not own the water which extends up to the high water mark. Beaver is a furbearing animal and can only be harvested, Trapped or Shot, by a Licenced trapper or by an individual under permit and only in an open season unless their permit says otherwise.

RiverOtter
03-25-2009, 03:04 PM
The dams have flooded thier house and property many many many times over the last few years.

I would say that would be grounds for a permit. No.

boxhitch
03-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Don't worry about punching to big a hole in the dam.
Most people run out of will, before they run out of dam....You'll see what I mean.........:p:lol:Good line. :)
My point was about being conscious of what can occur downstream.

boxhitch
03-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Is making a small hole in a beaver dam considered "altering" a waterway? No. Why bring up altering waterways ?