PDA

View Full Version : Locating Crown Land

aletheuo
03-22-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm wondering... I look at google earth all around the beautiful east kootenay area and see acres and acres of great hunting lands and always wonder "now I wonder who owns that?" Maybe crown, maybe private, maybe some environmentalist group. I try to err on the side of staying off land unless I know who owns it.

Can I just walk into FrontCounterBC office and ask to see maps? I've never been there before... If so, how can I guy get these maps and boundaries and stare at them while he's sitting on the can (right, like you wouldn't do that, too). I found a 700 acre piece of land just this winter that the neighbor lady to it who's lived there 15 years says she's never seen a soul in it other than herself and the deer and she walks in it everyday. (and, no, I'm not revealing it's location) ;)

Aaron Blom
03-22-2009, 08:30 PM
There is a GIS Map program that the province has called Map View. In order to use it all you need is a BCEId that can be obtained at no cost on-line. It will show all private land, crown land and ag leases. It also has some ortho coverage that is good to use, even thought it may not be that recent.

elker
03-22-2009, 10:20 PM
There is a GIS Map program that the province has called Map View. In order to use it all you need is a BCEId that can be obtained at no cost on-line. It will show all private land, crown land and ag leases. It also has some ortho coverage that is good to use, even thought it may not be that recent.

You are right.But I did it a few times but could not find existing trapline leases.

Anyone have success finding areas of individual outfitters from that website?

aletheuo
03-23-2009, 08:22 AM
I've had a look now and it appears you need a Masters degree in gis or something. I did finally get "some" info but it's pretty frustrating to use... anyone with any tips?

ps - I did get outfitter areas to show but no specific info as to who owns them, etc

SUAFOYT
03-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Try this- once you get used to it it works well. Lets you know what's crown and what ain't.

http://srmwww.gov.bc.ca/sgb/IMF/index.html