PDA

View Full Version : Christina Lake area, begining of July?

Phoneguy
03-22-2009, 04:24 PM
We will be at a family reunion, staying at a campsite on a river just outside of Christina Lake the first week of July. I have only passed through there once, many years ago.

What kind of fishing opportunities are there in that area, and where should I head? I have fly gear, spinning gear and baitcasting stuff, probably no boat, unless someone has a zodiac type boat they want to sell.

Thanks
James

jrjonesy
03-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Sounds like you're staying at Cascade Cove campground....my parents keep a 5th wheel there year round and we spend a week in the summer there almost every year. You'll be able to walk down to the Kettle and dip your fly in at the cove or head out on the rocks where the gorge filters out....mostly whitefish and the odd nice rainbow. Believe it or not people have even taken the odd walleye out of there that migrated up. Check the regs to make sure the Kettle is open at the time of year you'll be there. I'm not sure what the water level is right now either...shouldn't be too high yet.
It's a beautiful area.

jrjonesy
03-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Just noticed you said "beginning of July"....it's definitely open and with the decreased snowpack, the water levels should be reasonably low by then.

GoatGuy
03-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Good advice, the Kettle's one of my favs. Water will still be up in early July but the fishing will be good. Don't forget the hopper patterns.

bearass
03-22-2009, 08:52 PM
If you want there is some good bass fishing in the lake.go very early before the sun comes up.you can catchem from shore but it is much easyer from the boat.

who_krs
03-29-2009, 11:39 PM
just go to walmart or canadian tire or something like that and buy your self a little inflatable boat

that and some plastic oars and your set

fished like that last your on one of our family camping trips
(its not the best but it was better than nothing)

just gotta watch your hooks

good luck
Scott

kootenayraised
05-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Just for some more information, the fishing has gotten better in the kettle above cascade falls now (towards grand forks). It has been catch and release for years and this has allowed the population to grow. I believe the new regs allow you to keep one a day. I know guys who were having great days in the kettle all summer mostly catch and release but the odd worthy keeper. There are lots of nice pools a short walk from the highway on the way to grand forks and not much private property. Keep your eye open and you may find one of the real producers.

You can also shore fish for bass in Christina Creek. A simple hook and worm will do, but if you have crankbaits and plastics you can really get it to produce some good fish.

Cheers.

huntergirl270
05-02-2009, 04:32 PM
There is a little road that goes off to the side near the bridge that crosses the Kettle River. Head down there and there is a great spot for trout. You'll see where other people have camped out along the river. Some good spots there and lots of action last year around that time.
Sherry

d6dan
05-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Huntergirl270. Right next to the old chevron gas station.. that road takes you along christina ck to the old kettle river bridge, great smallmouth bass fishing with a leech fly pattern. spent alot of time there when i was a kid.

trapperRick
05-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Turn right at the lumber yard with the gas sation at the end of the road there is a nice camp site and an old bridge used to be there i slayed white fish and rainbows there when i was turkey hunting this spring i was using a small black fly