PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on the Garmin Astro????

shaner338
03-22-2009, 10:44 AM
I have wildlife materials collars for my hounds now but no reciever...Loose the dogs have to come out to borrow a reciever:-(..So I am thinking of trying the Astro,but not sure the range of them is addiquate for our mountainous island..Any opion appreciated:smile:...thx..

houndogger
03-22-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't have one but I think they are going to be the cats ass when they get afew things sorted out.

shaner338
03-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Hounddogger, what is it they need to sort out:?::?:. I heard they have frequency issues here on the coast.(same frequency as coastgaurd or something):?::?:

houndogger
03-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Battery life in collars needs to be longer. If you have a truck mounted VHF it will slowly kill the unit until you lose all range.

shaner338
03-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Ok, thanks for that info!! Cheers

BlacktailStalker
03-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Only if you're talking on it all the time while the Astro is on Dave.

No problems with mine, its the best thing a guy could use.
17 hours collar life on the 5 second update, battery life increases when on 10 or 30 sec update.
Its highly unlikely you'll see a gps collar with much more battery life... There'd already be handhelds that last longer than that if it was easy to make I figure.
I'd run a standard telemetry system anyways (I do, peace of mind)
Marshall collar piggybacked with the tritronics and the garmin astro below that followed by your gay glow collar with i.d tag.

Saves a guy many miles, fuel and time plus you get to see whos doing what as well as learn where the cats/bears like to cross (so a guy can hike these areas on dry ground)

Havent lost reception on a collar for more than 20 seconds (and thats even rare) and I;ve been in some sick steep ravines, thick canopy second growth, you name it.
Tip; The handheld long range antenna is worth 3x the $60 they sell it for, so if you decide to get it...

houndogger
03-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Only if you're talking on it all the time while the Astro is on Dave.

No problems with mine, its the best thing a guy could use.
17 hours collar life on the 5 second update, battery life increases when on 10 or 30 sec update.
Its highly unlikely you'll see a gps collar with much more battery life... There'd already be handhelds that last longer than that if it was easy to make I figure.
I'd run a standard telemetry system anyways (I do, peace of mind)
Marshall collar piggybacked with the tritronics and the garmin astro below that followed by your gay glow collar with i.d tag.

Saves a guy many miles, fuel and time plus you get to see whos doing what as well as learn where the cats/bears like to cross (so a guy can hike these areas on dry ground)

Havent lost reception on a collar for more than 20 seconds (and thats even rare) and I;ve been in some sick steep ravines, thick canopy second growth, you name it.
Tip; The handheld long range antenna is worth 3x the $60 they sell it for, so if you decide to get it...

Oh come on now your just trying to talk me into one:lol:
Don't worry I want one really bad:shock:;-)

shaner338
03-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Well thats cool enough!!! Thanks for your input:lol:. I'll pick one up and keep my wildlife materials on them for backup..Maybe get an icom icr handheld for them.