PDA

View Full Version : wild turkeys

soloist
03-21-2009, 05:32 PM
does anyone have any tips as to where a guy might find some turkeys? not looking for a spot in particular just a broad area. are there any in the lower mainland?

SteadyGirl
03-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Turkeys are mainly southern bc but Merrit might have a few???

Springer
03-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Trail,Christina Lake,Creston, Salmo etc.This whole Southern area holds Turkeys and i have seen them along the highway while on holidays the past few years.

huntwriter
03-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Turkeys are mainly southern bc but Merrit might have a few???

No we do not have a turkey population here. There are few but nothing to speak of let alone to hunt. I hope will change in the next few years.;)

goatdancer
03-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Maybe Clearwater???????

sfire436
03-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Huntwriter a few posts behind me will be putting on a turkey hunting info session, I took it on Merrit and if you have little idea of where and how to hunt them it might be useful. RockCreek through to the east Koots has em. Just like elk, there are lots out there, just gotta be where they are

GoatGuy
03-22-2009, 02:39 PM
About Westbridge (Christian Valley) and East.

Singleshotneeded
03-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Along the border from the Okanagan to the Rockies. The further east you go towards Creston, the higher the population. Christina Lake is supposed to have good numbers, and on my first turkey hunt two years ago I didn't see a single turkey until I got to the Grand Forks area. Yes, I did ask folks in Rock Creek and Midway, and I did scout the country around them, but nary a hint of one until G.F.. If you seriously want a turkey, go to Christina Lake and head south...

goatdancer
03-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Don't go too far south from Christina Lake or you'll need a Washington state license.

GoatGuy
03-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Forgot to mention, did see a hen just outside of Beaverdell last year too. Pub should be looking for business. Heard they busted a pile of grow ops there a while ago - half the city's going to jail. :lol:

Singleshotneeded
03-22-2009, 04:05 PM
:lol: Good point Goatdancer, I'm talking 10 km or so in a SE direction, from Christina Lake...bring a gps if you have one...

DeerWhisperer
03-23-2009, 08:07 PM
The biggest gobblers come from clearwater

blackbart
03-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey DeerWhisperer. If you are giving out locations on turkeys please make sure to pass on the advice (or is it a requirement?) to take a gobbler that is wearing a beard. We wouldn't want to lose the season in "Clearwater" due to too many "non-bearded" critters being taken.

It should not be too hard to find a bearded gobbler in the North Thompson. Just listen for the constant gobbling, you might even catch a bit of it on your local WWW.