PDA

View Full Version : tree stands

westhoyt
03-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi there ,I am thinking of putting up a stand this year in my honeyhole, but am wondering how to get to it without spooking game on the way, the afternoon hunt should be no problem but to be init before dawn means heading in with a flashlight ,or will this spook game worse than waiting for light, this morning I spooked some deer walking into the area just after daylight. Thanks

Ron.C
03-21-2009, 01:39 PM
I always use my petzel headlamp with a red lense on the lowest setting. I've walked right up on deer in the dark with it that were on my trails. It lights up enough of the trail in front of me that I can make sure I am not going to trip, but also helps me really walk quietly. I try and stalk into my stand as I think noise at this time of day will screw you over in a heartbeat. Also, make sure you give yourself lots of time. I like to be settled in my treestand for at least 45 minutes before legal shooting light at a minimum. Sometimes more than that if I am in a relitively open area. This lets things settle down if you do make some noise on the way in. On many occasions, I've had deer come in within minutes after getting up in my stand. Nothing works better than live decoys :smile:
And the biggest deer I ever shot was shot less than 5 minutes after legal shooting time. And he came in before legal shooting light and just milled around the area browsing. I never use the red light once I start going up the tree, it's off at that point.

I also am a little fanatical about my pack and how everything goes in it. I know exactly where everything is so I'm not pissing around at all trying to find my release, calls, rangefinder, whatever. I use the same system every time so it's like second nature. And this includes your setup in the tree as well. Always position your harness, straps, seat, bowhanger.... the same way every time. It all eliminates needless moving and noise in the dark.

A few other things I do for my stands on the Island is clear a trail to them. Sometimes it's nothing more than moving the big tripping hazards and potential noise makers out of the way, other times it's trimming a lane through ferns, so I can be quiet on the way in.

I''ve learned this stuff the hard way by spooking alot of deer and ruining some good setups by not preparing, bumbling around and rushing because I was late getting out to the bush.

husky30-06
03-21-2009, 03:10 PM
you could always sleep in it if it is comfortable..... up north we have on occasion done this if the game are moving really early....

300H&H
03-21-2009, 03:15 PM
A red lense is the way to go.
When I take my climbing stand in, I always allow more time. So I can walk slower, it's heavey & bulky.

mcrae
03-21-2009, 04:05 PM
In general how long does it take to get a climber set up? I have been thinking about a climbing stand. I am assuming that a climbing stand is going to be to noisy to set up for a morning hunt? I don't have a "honey hole" yet so I am thinking the versatility of a climber for the fall this year. I have zero experience with tree stands...

Ron.C
03-22-2009, 09:40 AM
I was wondering if you had and could give more info on the "Petzel Headlamp"? What are the pros & cons of how it works, does it come with a red lense, where to buy and how much etc. Sounds like an item I should look into getting.

Here's a link to Cabelas that sells's the light. But they or other similar lights can be purchased in any outdoor, hiking store.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20160_TGP&id=0043463517704a&navCount=2&podId=0043463&parentId=cat20160&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20160&hasJS=true

The lenses are interchangeable. It comes with a clear lense, but you can buy a kit for around $6 that contains a red/green/orange/and clear lense.

There are many different headlamps out there. I bought this one over 5 years ago, and I wouldn't hazzard to guess how many hours it has been used.

Pros:Very light, compact, and durable, uses AAA batteries and they last forever in this thing.

Cons: Haven't found one yet

Ambush
03-22-2009, 01:40 PM
In general how long does it take to get a climber set up? I have been thinking about a climbing stand. I am assuming that a climbing stand is going to be to noisy to set up for a morning hunt? I don't have a "honey hole" yet so I am thinking the versatility of a climber for the fall this year. I have zero experience with tree stands...

I only use climbers, although a few that I built many years ago turned into permanent stands due to weight.

Of the four I have now, the Lone Wolf hand climber is my favourite for mobile set ups. It's light, fast on the tree and very quite.

I'm 55 years old and have no trouble packing it or climbing with it.

I have an older Loggy Bayou that is fairly light and very comfortable for long sits. The newer model does not seem to be as well accepted.

I also don't like the ones with the bar around the seat, I prefer it wide open. Some bow shots you have to take sitting down and the bar seems restrictive to me.

A light climber is a fantactic way to hunt and scout slashes that have several feet of re-growth. There's almost always a few standing trees to get up and look around.

Try climbing up a good tree a little ways out into an over grown slash, then have a buddy zig-zag across it.

Evolution
03-22-2009, 01:53 PM
My headlamp has a blood trail light, a red light and a white light all in one. I guess it has 6 LED's - 2 of each color. Press the button once it goes green, again it goes red, a third it goes white and once more it goes off. I just have to be sure I have the lens covered with my hand before I cycle through to the off switch. I try and clear a path of any dry branches or bushes that are going to be noisy, My stand isnt a climber so I try to set it up the day before I hunt with it. I always keep my haul line clipped to the bottom step of my climbing stick so that I dont have to search for it. That way I can just hook up my bow and climb. I also use a retractable fall restraint which I also leave attached at the bottom step. One thing I cant emphasize enough is to wear a high quality fall harness at all times and be sure to know how to exit it in the event of a fall/hang. I always carry a belt cutter in my vest as well as my hunting knife. When it comes to hoisting my gun, I always ensure its unloaded and the clip is in my pocket, not the gun. When Im in my stand I use a saftey teather attached to the butt of my gun, that way in the event of a dropped rifle the muzzle will/should be pointing down. One other thing I do in my stand is bring large ziplock bags for draining off that cup of coffee, just make sure you close it tight, otherwise its a real pissoff...no pun intended

huntwriter
03-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Climbing stands are the way to go if you hunt in an area that you haven’t or couldn’t scout thoroughly. Look for a model that do not need to be assembled such as the API Grand Slam Hummer described by Hummer or the Summit among many other quality models that only need to have the climbing cable adjusted.

How quiet and how fast you can set up and climb with a stand depends entirely on how well you have practiced with the stand. When I purchase a new stand I practice with it until I am totally familiar with it and can set it up blind folded. It takes me about three minutes to attach a stand and quietly climb into the tree with it.

An often overlooked factor is that you also need to prepare the tree for the stand such as clipping or sawing off branches that are in the way and scraping away loose bark that could make noise when climbing. I also mark the height of the stand and which side of the tree it has to face, as this can be difficult to determine in the dark. Obviously you do that long before the hunting season opens and not a day or two before the hunt.

I enter stand sites more or less as described by Ron C. In addition I mark the route with “glow in the dark” tacks and clean the entry/exit trail of objects I could stumble over or step on. I always locate the stand in such a way that I have at least two different entry/exit routes that do not lead through areas that could hold deer. I also chose an alternative stand site for the occasion when the wind changes on me.

I use a climber as my “run and gun” stand and use fixed hang on stands where possible in well scouted areas. Come hunting season I will have as many as 10 stands in place and prepared another five to eight for my climbing stands.

This fall I am doing a seminar series on treestand tactics for bowhunter.;-)

mcrae
03-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Do you guys have any issues loosing stands you have placed on crown land? All my hunting will be on crown land. This year is going to be more of a scout/hunt/learn year. The following year I hope to have some "honey holes" all set up and can maybe set-up a few different tree stands. I have a nice pop blind that I can use as well but a tree stand would be nice for the "elevated" look around...

Ambush
03-22-2009, 08:55 PM
[quote=mcrae555;432527]Do you guys have any issues loosing stands you have placed on crown land?

I will leave a stand over night, if I hunt it till dark, and plan to return before light the next morning.

I don't want to loose a $300 stand and ruin a hunt. That's one reason I like light, fast, quiet climbers.

Bow Walker
03-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Leaving a tree stand on "Crown Land" is asking for it to be stolen. Going the 'climber' route and packing in/out for the hunt is your only insurance of retaining your equipment.

huntwriter
03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
In 16 years of hunting from treestands I have lost (stolen) one stand on crown land. Most of my hang on stands are in the thick stuff where stands ought to hang.:wink: In addition I padlock them with a chain to the tree and remove the climbing stick or ladder. In more open areas where the stand could bee seen by other hunters I use one of my climbers.

Ron.C
03-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Leaving a tree stand on "Crown Land" is asking for it to be stolen. Going the 'climber' route and packing in/out for the hunt is your only insurance of retaining your equipment.

Theft issues aside, If you plan on hunting an area more than once, or if you plan on getting in the stand in the dark, fixed stands are the way to go. And my goals when hunting are to have a good time and try and harvest an animal so I will use the method that will give me the best chance.

Even though I have had one stolen, I've got to say your over-reacting a bit on that statement Bow Walker.

This past fall, I had my first stand stolen. I was pissed off to no end at the time, but can't let it change the way I hunt. It was on public land. But it was the first time I had one stolen in months and months of leaving multiple stands setups in the bush on public land for over 7 consecutive years.

I have looked at a couple climbers in the past, but there is no way in hell that I would be able to get in the bush well before sun up, get a climber up the tree and settled without making a ton of noise. Now my idea of a ton of noise may be different from yours, but to me that means alomst any noise! I know I can slip into the bush, and up the tree to a pre-hung stand very quick and quietly. And there's no way I can get from my truck to some of my more remote stand sites carrying a climbing treestand, my gear, bow, extra clothing without sweating like a pig.

I like to pre-scout my spots and hang several stands so I can rotate through them as I see fit. I'll continue to use them in the same manner and leave them on public land. Yes I've had one stolen, but in reality the odds are very low and in the majority of cases, most guys/gals would see your stand and do the right thing, and that's let it be. The only difference this comming year is I will be using a cable lock on my stands that are hung in more well travelled areas.

Bow Walker
03-23-2009, 07:44 PM
I appreciate the fact that you've been pretty lucky over the years Ron, what with leaving multiple stands in the "open" bush. I'd have to say that there were probably a couple of reasons for that fact...

1. the stand(s) escaped notice for some reason - most likely due to your skills.

2. for whatever reason(s) the area that you hung them in and/or hunted were off the beaten path.

I know that I sound a bit jaded here but I've had my truck broken into on occasion and if that taught me nothing else, it taught me the real meaning of Murphy's Law. Besides, I just hate to tempt fate. It's risk enough leaving your vehicle unattended for the day.

I'm glad that you've been lucky in the past and I wish you the same luck in the future.

Ron.C
03-23-2009, 08:09 PM
I appreciate the fact that you've been pretty lucky over the years Ron, what with leaving multiple stands in the "open" bush. I'd have to say that there were probably a couple of reasons for that fact...

1. the stand(s) escaped notice for some reason - most likely due to your skills.

2. for whatever reason(s) the area that you hung them in and/or hunted were off the beaten path.

I know that I sound a bit jaded here but I've had my truck broken into on occasion and if that taught me nothing else, it taught me the real meaning of Murphy's Law. Besides, I just hate to tempt fate. It's risk enough leaving your vehicle unattended for the day.

I'm glad that you've been lucky in the past and I wish you the same luck in the future.

I hear ya Dan. And I appreciate where you are comming from.

But this is the way I see it,

If someone breaks into my truck and steals stuff while it's parked on some remote road, yes I'd be pissed. If someone steals another one of my treestands, yes I''ll be pissed. If someone raids my camp on my annual elk trip and steals gear, yes I'd be pissed. But what's the alternative? Sacrifice a good hunting spot and park in relitively safe areas in the hope that it won't be broken into? Stop hunting with the many fixed treestands I own and enjoy setting out every year because someone might steal another one? Stop hunting out of a tent camp during elk season and get a hotel room instead? No, I won't. I'll continue to "tempt fate" as you said. If and when fate catches up with me again, yes I'll be pissed and I'll humbly take the " I told ya so's" from you and the other posters on this forum. But what I won't do is let some low life theifs lessen my enjoyment of hunting by causing me to worry about potentially stealing my gear and forcing me to choose a hunting method that in my mind is less effective.

And that is what all this comes back to. My opinion that pre-scouting, setting up and leaving multiple fixed treestands in the bush before you intend to hunt them is more effective than setting up, taking down climbers in the pre dawn hours the day of the hunt.

Bow Walker
03-23-2009, 08:17 PM
I feel the same way Ron. I won't let 'them' change the way I've hunted and enjoyed the outdoors since I owned my first slingshot as a kid.

But it does try one's patience when it happens. Sad commentary on the times I guess.

Ron.C
03-23-2009, 08:25 PM
But it does try one's patience when it happens. .

It sure does!!
Especially when you find a gut pile within 70 yards of where your tresstand used to be. Not only did the ******* steal my stand, he shot a deer out of it first :cry::roll:

J_T
03-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Do you guys have any issues loosing stands you have placed on crown land? All my hunting will be on crown land. This year is going to be more of a scout/hunt/learn year. The following year I hope to have some "honey holes" all set up and can maybe set-up a few different tree stands. I have a nice pop blind that I can use as well but a tree stand would be nice for the "elevated" look around...

Wow, I think I've said it before. My stands spend more time in the bush hanging from a tree than hanging on the wall in the shed. Nope. No issues with possible theft. If you do have issues with the potential for theft, just throw a lock around it.

westhoyt
03-26-2009, 05:16 AM
hey thanks for all the input, I was wondering what distance you guys are walking into your stands in the dark?

Ron.C
03-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Totally depends on the area.

This year I had three stands hung, the closest to a open travel route like a deactivated road was around 150 meters, the furthest was around 750 meters.

Bow Walker
03-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Totally 'off topic' but I was wandering in the bush a bit today and was eyeing up a tree for possible stand placement.

I came to the conclusion that height off the ground should be approx. 3 times your own height - or, at least 18 feet off the ground. Just looked about the right height for a 'level ground' situation.

Of course it'd be different for an uphill or a downhill spot, but 18 feet seems a good starting point.

mcrae
03-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Talked to my archery guy today while getting help getting my new bow set up. He has a couple different kinds so I am going to go over and have a look at the different climbers and pick one up...

Gonna practice doing some elevated shooting from the deck down to the ground get use to shots from a stand in the meantime!!!

huntwriter
03-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Totally 'off topic' but I was wandering in the bush a bit today and was eyeing up a tree for possible stand placement.

I came to the conclusion that height off the ground should be approx. 3 times your own height - or, at least 18 feet off the ground. Just looked about the right height for a 'level ground' situation.

Of course it'd be different for an uphill or a downhill spot, but 18 feet seems a good starting point.
That’s about right. In all the years I hunt from treestands I have never seen any need to climb much over 20 feet high. Going by my hunting journal most of the time my stands are between 15 and 18 feet off the ground.

J_T
03-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Talked to my archery guy today while getting help getting my new bow set up. He has a couple different kinds so I am going to go over and have a look at the different climbers and pick one up...

Gonna practice doing some elevated shooting from the deck down to the ground get use to shots from a stand in the meantime!!!
Do yourself a favour, if you want diversity and you're not afraid of heights (any height) DON'T get a self climber. Regardless of what anyone says.

J_T
03-26-2009, 08:20 PM
hey thanks for all the input, I was wondering what distance you guys are walking into your stands in the dark?
Depends. Early season 2km. Late season 75 metres.

mcrae
03-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Do yourself a favour, if you want diversity and you're not afraid of heights (any height) DON'T get a self climber. Regardless of what anyone says.

okay I will bite:lol: why?

Seems pretty much necessary for me to have a mobile stand if I am going to hunt many different spots. I can't really afford to buy 10 stands and leave them hanging in different spots..

huntwriter
03-26-2009, 09:03 PM

X 2 :lol:. I have been using climbing stands ever since the first models came on the market.;-)

J_T
03-27-2009, 06:21 AM

Seems pretty much necessary for me to have a mobile stand if I am going to hunt many different spots. I can't really afford to buy 10 stands and leave them hanging in different spots..
Well, you don't need 10 stands, you probably need 2. 3 is nice. They aren't that expensive. You can generally but a good stand for under $150.

Reasons why not to:
1) self climbers are huge. Big, clunky, heavy.
2) If you're packing a long ways, they are heavy.
3) You can never climb into your tree in silence, it's always a climb.
4) It will make noise.
5) They are far to easy to fall asleep in
6) if you intend to use it in the Kootenay, there are many trees you can't use it in without cutting all the branches off. It will limit the tree of choice.
7) if you do limb a tree, how many trees will you limb in a year?
8) if you do limb a tree and you are sitting in your stand, the pitch will start to flow and can be a nuissance.
9) self climbers are typically limited to branchless trees, poplar or larch. If you use larch, the bark makes them a very noisy tree to sit in, and it does compromise your movement in close.
10) a tree that requires no limbs so that you can climb it, also prevents you from having any cover from below.

Reasons to buy a hanging stand:
1) light
2) 20 - 30 minutes to set it up, set it up once and you are stealth every time you use it.
3) hike in repeatedly, much lighter than carrying a self climber every time. Figure, your weapon, your pack and a stand. Quiet approach.
4) more flexibility in stand location. Use any tree.
5) don't have to cut all the branches off. better cover
6) the diameter of the tree doesn't matter
7) you can hike with a light stand, (still hunt) and once you locate a good area set up. Far more hunting flexibility.
8) more control over the angle placement with a fixed hanger. climb the tree, select exactly the angle, from the elevation, rather than make an assumption from below.
9) remove the bottom 2 or 3 steps to ensure no one takes it.
10) Climb into your stand without sweating from the exertion of lifting the self climber up.
11) Bonus answer: Because I've been using stands for 15 years and every time I take out a hunter who has a self climber it isn't what they thought it would be, they stop using them within 2 or 3 uses. I'm just saving you the time it will take you to post a "for sale" item.

bighornbob
03-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Well, you don't need 10 stands, you probably need 2. 3 is nice. They aren't that expensive. You can generally but a good stand for under $150.

Reasons why not to:
1) self climbers are huge. Big, clunky, heavy.
2) If you're packing a long ways, they are heavy.
3) You can never climb into your tree in silence, it's always a climb.
4) It will make noise.
5) They are far to easy to fall asleep in
6) if you intend to use it in the Kootenay, there are many trees you can't use it in without cutting all the branches off. It will limit the tree of choice.
7) if you do limb a tree, how many trees will you limb in a year?
8) if you do limb a tree and you are sitting in your stand, the pitch will start to flow and can be a nuissance.
9) self climbers are typically limited to branchless trees, poplar or larch. If you use larch, the bark makes them a very noisy tree to sit in, and it does compromise your movement in close.
10) a tree that requires no limbs so that you can climb it, also prevents you from having any cover from below.

Reasons to buy a hanging stand:
1) light
2) 20 - 30 minutes to set it up, set it up once and you are stealth every time you use it.
3) hike in repeatedly, much lighter than carrying a self climber every time. Figure, your weapon, your pack and a stand. Quiet approach.
4) more flexibility in stand location. Use any tree.
5) don't have to cut all the branches off. better cover
6) the diameter of the tree doesn't matter
7) you can hike with a light stand, (still hunt) and once you locate a good area set up. Far more hunting flexibility.
8) more control over the angle placement with a fixed hanger. climb the tree, select exactly the angle, from the elevation, rather than make an assumption from below.
9) remove the bottom 2 or 3 steps to ensure no one takes it.
10) Climb into your stand without sweating from the exertion of lifting the self climber up.
11) Bonus answer: Because I've been using stands for 15 years and every time I take out a hunter who has a self climber it isn't what they thought it would be, they stop using them within 2 or 3 uses. I'm just saving you the time it will take you to post a "for sale" item.

Although I have never used a self climber I totally agree with JT comments about the hang on types.

I bought mine at Walmart at the start of the season for around $100. After the season they blow them out so they dont have to carry them ( I bought another stand for $50 and saw two others for $25 each at the Penticton Walmart. Still kicking myself for not buying both of them.)

I always try to find a branchy tree as I use as many of the branches as steps and the branches also provide cover. I always leave a branch under my stand for cover (it also can catch dropped gloves:biggrin:)

The hang ons are usually supported by a chain which I padlock to the tree. I also remove the bottom 8ft of steps. So if you want the stand you basically need a chain saw.

I also only cut branches off the back of tree, that way if anyone is walking down the deer trail they dont notice a delimbed tree (which sticks out like a sore thumb). I have taken friends right by my stand and they never even had a clue it was there as the only spot cleared of branches is the area around the stand, which I put about 25ft off the ground.

BHB

greybark
03-27-2009, 10:13 AM
8-) AAHHH J-T , You convienitly omitt the fact that a CLIMBER can be also used as a HANG-ON too . Get a climber , use it both ways to gain the advantages of both !!!!
Cheers J-T

J_T
03-27-2009, 11:43 AM
8-) AAHHH J-T , You convienitly omitt the fact that a CLIMBER can be also used as a HANG-ON too . Get a climber , use it both ways to gain the advantages of both !!!!
Cheers J-T
And when you so graciously gave up your self climber for my son and he fell soundly asleep in it, I had no way of getting up to him and waking him up.:roll:

mcrae
03-27-2009, 03:28 PM
I am kinda hogging this thread being as it isn't mine but.........

you guys that use the hang on stands what sort of "tree steps" are you using and how many do you generally need to haul in with you if your planning on a 18 foot height...

I am also curious about safety harnesses. I am going to use one just curious how many of you "old timers" LOL use them...

good points as well JT...

J_T
03-27-2009, 03:54 PM

you guys that use the hang on stands what sort of "tree steps" are you using and how many do you generally need to haul in with you if your planning on a 18 foot height...

I am also curious about safety harnesses. I am going to use one just curious how many of you "old timers" LOL use them...

If I have an idea where I'm going I might adjust the number of steps I take in. I use 12 steps 17inches apart going up and two, one very near the stand for ease of mount and dismount and another a bit higher as a hand hold getting on and off. I put my harness around this top step and hang my pack on it as well.

There is something very cool about hunting in to an area, finding a recent trail and popping up a stand based on the immediate sign you find. Find the action and set up. You just can't do that with a self climber they are beheamoths.

I'm going to assume you want to hunt the WK. Get a hang on stand with shoulder straps, or mount some on the under side of it. Use a small pliable, fleece bag to carry your harness and steps, and a small saw. Use the stand as a pack frame. Hang your hunting pack on it (secured with a couple of bungies) and you are good to hunt for the day. Buy a couple of sinch straps from Walmart or Can Tire to give you added security in the tree.

Harness.... It's mostly setting up and taking down the stand that you are at risk. There was a real good article in the last publication of Off the Shelf bowhunting magazine about using a climbing harness during set up.

Buck
03-27-2009, 04:06 PM
I would not use steps they damage the tree.I use climbing sticks made by Lonewolf and they work great.You can have several hangers around then just move with the sticks.The climbing sticks go on real easy and fast just remove the sticks if you don't want youre stand stolen.

mcrae
03-27-2009, 05:04 PM
There is something very cool about hunting in to an area, finding a recent trail and popping up a stand based on the immediate sign you find. Find the action and set up.

This is my plan. Hunt an area till I find something to set up on. To be honest I am not much of a deer hunter so I figured what the hell lets make it even harder and do it with a bow:biggrin:...

huntwriter
03-27-2009, 06:16 PM

I use climbing ladders of various designs. My favorites are the ones that come three or four section that can be individually mounted on to the tree. I have never used screw in tree steps for two reasons.

A.) They are too much work to screw in as you climb. By the time a guy is done screwing in all the steps he needs I have set up three complete stands without breaking a sweat.

B.) Screw-in tree steps are not as safe as ladders. Most climbing accidents happened with screw-in steps.

Never ever sit in a stand without wearing a safety belt. I use a special harness that converts easily into a lineman type climbing harness. The moment I leave the ground I am secured to the tree as I climb in and out of the stand and during my stay on the stand I am secured too. It’s important. Your life depends on it.

mcrae
03-27-2009, 06:48 PM
I use climbing ladders of various designs. My favorites are the ones that come three or four section that can be individually mounted on to the tree. I have never used screw in tree steps for two reasons.

A.) They are too much work to screw in as you climb. By the time a guy is done screwing in all the steps he needs I have set up three complete stands without breaking a sweat.

B.) Screw-in tree steps are not as safe as ladders. Most climbing accidents happened with screw-in steps.

Never ever sit in a stand without wearing a safety belt. I use a special harness that converts easily into a lineman type climbing harness. The moment I leave the ground I am secured to the tree as I climb in and out of the stand and during my stay on the stand I am secured too. It’s important. Your life depends on it.

Are you guys buying aftermarket harnesses? I have been looking at literally dozens of tree stands tonight and it seems like they all have a harness included. I am somewhat of a cautious person so a tree stand harness is not something I am gonna skip...

J_T
03-27-2009, 08:59 PM

Ladders are fine. As long as you're not going far, not trying to be quiet, not trying to still hunt your way into an area. And you generally intend to bring it out each time. Each to his own. The screw in steps are the best, difficulty depends on the time of year and type of tree. There are different designs on the point/threads of steps. Steps are only too much work if your a pussy.

Kody94
03-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Steps are only too much work if your a pussy.

:mrgreen: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/anim_rofl2.gif

FWIW, I agree with J_T re: his preference for hang-on stands. I don't have a tonne of experience with all the different stands, but I tried climbing stands a few times and think they are just too limiting for the type of timber I like to hunt in, for all the reasons J_T identified. Hang-ons are very flexible and very portable.

Ladder stands are just really heavy (most are 45 lbs +).

huntwriter
03-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Are you guys buying aftermarket harnesses? I have been looking at literally dozens of tree stands tonight and it seems like they all have a harness included. I am somewhat of a cautious person so a tree stand harness is not something I am gonna skip...

I use the Hunter Safety System (http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/home.php). If you need some good tips on safety harness and stand models give me a PM and/or read my treestand article (http://www.othmarvohringer.com/hunting_tips/articles/Choosing_The_Right_Treestand_For_You.html).

huntwriter
03-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Ladders are fine. As long as you're not going far, not trying to be quiet, not trying to still hunt your way into an area. And you generally intend to bring it out each time. Each to his own. The screw in steps are the best, difficulty depends on the time of year and type of tree. There are different designs on the point/threads of steps. Steps are only too much work if your a pussy.

I have been hunting the majority of my time out of treestands for over 20 years. During that time I have hunted from and field tested just about every model of stand and climbing device.
I do not still hunt with a stand on my back.:eek: That defeats the purpose of stand hunting. Stands are placed ahead of the hunting season in well scouted areas. Maybe you should visit one of my hunting seminars about bowhunting from treestands.;-)

But like you said to each his/her own. Some like hard work others like it smart.:wink:

J_T
03-28-2009, 06:06 AM
:mrgreen: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/anim_rofl2.gif

FWIW, I agree with J_T re: his preference for hang-on stands. I don't have a tonne of experience with all the different stands, but I tried climbing stands a few times and think they are just too limiting for the type of timber I like to hunt in, for all the reasons J_T identified. Hang-ons are very flexible and very portable.

Ladder stands are just really heavy (most are 45 lbs +).Nice graphic. Can I get one of those?

J_T
03-28-2009, 06:10 AM
I have been hunting the majority of my time out of treestands for over 20 years. During that time I have hunted from and field tested just about every model of stand and climbing device.
I do not still hunt with a stand on my back.:eek: That defeats the purpose of stand hunting. Stands are placed ahead of the hunting season in well scouted areas. Maybe you should visit one of my hunting seminars about bowhunting from treestands.;-)

But like you said to each his/her own. Some like hard work others like it smart.:wink:

Once again, you've proved your the professional. :shock::rolleyes: I'm just a hunter. That can spell and works to provide other hunters with understanding, skill and opportunity. Free of charge.

CanuckShooter
03-28-2009, 10:31 AM

In your opinion....which hang-on/climbers/ladders are #1?? Meaning if you were to be spending money that you had to sweat to earn, which products would you rate at the top of the scale in each catagory??

I use a Summit Viper & hunter safety system fall restraint....Just curious to hear your thoughts on the various products seeing as how you have had the opportunity to try so many different ones out.

Onesock
03-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Well I would have to agree with the others that climbing stands are not the best.:|
1) To use a climbing stand all branches have to be stripped off the tree. Therefore there is no concealment of the hunter or stand.
2) All climbing stands are heavier than fixed stand.
3) Lets talk about stand setup. Get to the tree and then put your stand together at the bottom of the tree making some noise. Climb the tree knocking off branches as you go making more noise. When you finally get settled after your climb and noise 99% of the time you have chased all the critters in the area away.
4) When you come down the tree what do you do with your stand? Leave it attached to the tree or take it home with you. Leave it attached and some other hunter will have it! Take it home and then you have to make all the noise putting it back up next time you hunt.
5) I think the bar around the seat portion of the stand has probably been the downfall of many hunters when the bottom limb of their bow has contacted this bar as a deer is closing in.

mcrae
03-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I just watched a video on tree stands. They used both types climbing and fixed and to be honest they both seemed like a pain in the ass:tongue::tongue::tongue:...

The one thing about tree stands that I am not sure about is the sitting still for long periods of time. I tried that last year on the edge of some clearcuts and I ended up falling asleep:oops:... I woke up and shot a 4pt mulie mind you but I think he was coming to see what all the noise was:redface:...

I am thinking I will creep around like I usually do. It hasn't worked yet but I may get lucky:smile:...I just can't see myself climbing into a tree in the dark:shock: after watching the vids...

huntwriter
03-28-2009, 03:54 PM
In your opinion....which hang-on/climbers/ladders are #1?? Meaning if you were to be spending money that you had to sweat to earn, which products would you rate at the top of the scale in each catagory??

I use a Summit Viper & hunter safety system fall restraint....Just curious to hear your thoughts on the various products seeing as how you have had the opportunity to try so many different ones out.

Choosing the right treestand is not a black and white thing. There are many different aspects that figure into the choice of a stand, the age of the person, general fitness, type of terrain among an array of other conditions that facture into it. If you read the article to which I posted the link in my last comment it will give you a pretty good idea of what needs to be considered.

Brand aside there are a few basic things a stand needs to fulfill before I consider it worth looking at it. Safety is a big aspect of that consideration. With that in mind I never would hunt from a D-I-Y stand made from 2 x 4’s nailed, or screwed, to a tree and I never would buy an el-chepo model from Wal-Mart for 50 dollars. The stand I chose has to have the Treestand Manufacturer Association (TMA) seal of approval.

A good stand is easy to set up with the least hardware possible. A climbing stand that needs many nuts and bolts to assemble is worthless to me. A hang-on stand that needs mounting brackets plus two ratchet straps never will get a second look from me.

Stands should be build solid, no wobbly standing platforms and flimsy seats. Preferably all welded frames made of steel. Aluminum tends to get quite noisy in sub zero temperatures. A stand should certainly be comfortable if I am going to sit in it for hours.

The terrain I hunt decides if I am using a climbing, hang on or ladder stand. I own about a dozen hang on stands, three climbers and two ladder stands. All are different brands and slightly different designs. There isn’t a situation that cannot accommodate at least one of my stands. Just as important, before I ever use a new stand I will practice with it until I can set them up or climb up a tree blindfolded. The biggest detriment to stand hunting is using a stand that you’re not familiar with. It will take you too long to assemble, set up and climb into a tree. If it takes me with a climber longer then 4 minutes form the moment I take it of my back until I climbed quietly up a tree and be ready to hunt it defeats the purpose of a surprise ambush.

While I am usually not a big promoter of brand names – unless I get paid for it and I think the product servers it – Summit and Gorilla are industry wide considered the best stand models available. Their quality and workmanship is superior to everything currently on the market. It used to be API until the hit financial difficulty a few years back and the stand quality went down the tubes. They have never fully recovered from the recalls on three for their models.

I just watched a video on tree stands. They used both types climbing and fixed and to be honest they both seemed like a pain in the ass:tongue::tongue::tongue:...

The one thing about tree stands that I am not sure about is the sitting still for long periods of time. I tried that last year on the edge of some clearcuts and I ended up falling asleep:oops:... I woke up and shot a 4pt mulie mind you but I think he was coming to see what all the noise was:redface:...

I am thinking I will creep around like I usually do. It hasn't worked yet but I may get lucky:smile:...I just can't see myself climbing into a tree in the dark:shock: after watching the vids...

Treestand hunting is certainly not for everyone. But there is no question that hunting from a treestand is much more successful then walking around the bush. No matter how careful you walk you always will alert game to your presence and run the risk of getting patterned by the animals.

bighornbob
03-28-2009, 06:05 PM
With that in mind I never would hunt from a D-I-Y stand made from 2 x 4’s nailed, or screwed, to a tree and I never would buy an el-chepo model from Wal-Mart for 50 dollars. The stand I chose has to have the Treestand Manufacturer Association (TMA) seal of approval.

Maybe you should be shopping at Walmart more as the stand I got there for $50 is certified by the TMA. Like I said when they really blow them out I have seen them for $25 each.

And the D-I-Y stands that I have seen that are made by welders are way stronger then anything I have seen ever sold in the store or certified by TMA. I would trust a stand made by a local where he only makes a few way before I would trust one made off shore by the thousands.

BHB

huntwriter
03-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Maybe you should be shopping at Walmart more as the stand I got there for $50 is certified by the TMA. Like I said when they really blow them out I have seen them for $25 each.

Is it TMA certified or a fake sticker from China. I am not saying it is but I have seen it. Not at Wal-Mart but i have seen it in other locations.

And the D-I-Y stands that I have seen that are made by welders are way stronger then anything I have seen ever sold in the store or certified by TMA. I would trust a stand made by a local where he only makes a few way before I would trust one made off shore by the thousands.

BHB[/quote]

Notice that I said "made with 2x4 nailed or screwed to the tree.":smile:

mcrae
03-28-2009, 06:40 PM
My local Canadian Tire has some Gorilla Stands for 100 bucks but my WalMart has nothing....

Ambush
03-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Hang-on or climber? What is better for you may well depend on the trees in your terrain.

Around here lodgepole pine and poplar are in abundance, and most have no appreciatable branchs untill you are quite high up.

JT. You take your climbing sticks and your hang-on and I'll take my Lone Wolf hand climber and we will have a contest based on stealth and speed setting up.

By the time you get loaded, and manuveur those four foot long sticks, or your sack of steel steps and your hang-on to your chosen tree, I will be sitting up my tree watching and hearing you come down the trail.

If you have the luxury of stand locations that can be used over and over again, such as private land, then fine. Or every tree has thick branches from the ground up. But if you talk about run-n-gun or new areas, then a light weight climber has it all aver a hang-on.

Don't forget, I can use my stand as a hang-on, in trees that can be climbed using branches.

My main stand weighs 14.5 pounds. Thats it, no extra steps, straps or climbing sticks. And it's dead quiet going up and while I'm in it.

I'm not saying , I'm right and your wrong, or that one is always better than another. I'm saying there are choices, and how and where you hunt has a big influence on your choice.

So, a hunter should get what will work best for him, not what works best for others.

And I have shot a number of moose from fixed stands, because that's what the situation called for.

Bow Walker
03-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Well said.

GoatGuy
03-30-2009, 06:53 PM
I've got a self-climber and we have a few hang on stands that are usually hanging around somewhere. :biggrin:

The self-climber weighs probably 30 lbs. It's homemade and made out of steel. Not a big deal to pack in for an hour or in the case of most wt spots <45 min.

It's more comfortable that the hang-on stands and I can use it wherever I want. That also means I can take it with me at the end of the day. There have been more than a few treestands go missing in the 'heavily hunted' country.:(

Can usually find a tree to hang it from without a hitch although you do have to trim branches at times. I will often re-use the same tree with the self-climber year to year.

There are too many spots to be setting up and taking down hang-on stands every year. Just not enough hours in the day. We've had our stands/blinds stolen (big deal) and sat in a couple times (not a big deal).

The self-climber has its place and so does the hang-on. If I could only chose one it would be a self-climber.

martyonthewater
03-30-2009, 07:48 PM
I've grown partial to pre-fabing platform/ladder stands from plywood and 2X4 then spending the summer finding spots in the local regions to set them up. It's as easy as building a tree fort and my kids are willing pack mules if they get to sit in it when we're done.

thatskindafunny
03-30-2009, 08:25 PM
I set this one up 5 years ago and no one will even try and steal it. It cost about $30 to build. Going to put a swivel chair on it this year instead of the lawn chair. http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/tree_stand_1.jpg

The Hermit
03-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Pffttt... I still want one like this! http://officialmancard.com/manblog/wp-content/uploads/1.jpg

GoatGuy
03-30-2009, 11:55 PM
A couple of old pics. Ain't pretty but cheap to make and comfy.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/10077crop2.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/10077stand.jpg

martyonthewater
03-31-2009, 07:34 AM
TKF , sweet lawnchair stand. very much the same idea I employ. Goat guy, I see the top half of your climber is telescoping. how do you get into it once your up the tree?

westhoyt
04-01-2009, 05:53 PM
How long do you guys sit in your stands for?
Ya lots of simple questions ,but it helps. Thanks

GoatGuy
04-01-2009, 05:56 PM

min 30 minutes before it gets light until about 15 minutes after last shooting light.

Quiet in, quiet out.

huntwriter
04-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Depends on the time of season, deer activity and a variety of other things like weather and hunting pressure. I am always in the stand up to an hour before prime deer activity times in the morning, noon and evening after that waiting time I may be on stand up to two hours in the early season before I change to another stand location. During the rut I have been known to sit on the same stand over an active buck trail for up to six hours. The above is for whitetail deer hunting.

huntwriter
04-01-2009, 06:22 PM
A couple of old pics. Ain't pretty but cheap to make and comfy.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/10077crop2.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/10077stand.jpg

The tree-Lounge is my favorite climber. I own two of them. You might want to be careful posting these pictures on the Internet. The company has the design patented and copyrighted. Meaning, nobody is actually permitted to copy their design.:smile:

GoatGuy
04-01-2009, 08:34 PM
The tree-Lounge is my favorite climber. I own two of them. You might want to be careful posting these pictures on the Internet. The company has the design patented and copyrighted. Meaning, nobody is actually permitted to copy their design.:smile:

Not too worried.

I don't know what the tree-Lounge looks like but if it's like mine whoever built it has the brains of a teenager and missed the boat on a lot of the shortcomings of my design. :lol:

There are a thousand things I'd do differently if I were to build another one.

J_T
04-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Ya lots of simple questions ,but it helps. ThanksAt minus 30 this last late season, 3 hours was all I could take. With the temp like that going in in the dark is not all that important. Go in at daylight or even midday. Deer are always on the move in that temp. Just sit and be still.

Early season, I like to be cooled down and sitting at the ready, at least 30 - 45 before shooting light. I've often sat until dark. Or climb down midday, go for a walk and explore or give chase.

Depends what you're hunting, deer or elk? Each is different with different circumstances.

Ron.C
04-02-2009, 03:23 PM

Kind of like JT, it depends

Early season I usually sit till at least 1100.

Late season or when the rut is on, I sit all day long, dawn till dusk. We don't get the extreme cold here on the island so as long as you're dressed to keep you dry, you can ususally keep fairly warm.

Lil Bow Pete
04-21-2009, 07:52 PM
I go low. 8' - 12'. Just enough to get above thier line of sight and have my scent above thier nose. When its cool out your scent will rise until it cools. Of course that depends alot on the wind. The terrain makes a difference. If an animal is uphill from your stand and at eye level you had better be still. In general your scent will stay off of the ground for a good ways, uphill or down. Your shoot angle is much better from a lower stand. More of the kill zone is visable. I have had bad times with steep angles. Mostly from shooting at deer right under the stand. Let them walk past you and take an angling away shot. Much better than straight down. More to shoot at, less chance of spooking and your bow srting won't be against your leg.

Lil Bow Pete
04-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Sorry I posted on the wrong thread Itaws supposed to be on the tree stand hieght thread.

XMD70
04-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I have a few tree stands, they've produced many freezers full of moose. My stands tend to be at least a kilometer off roads and trails, so I create stealth paths to get to them. During the summer I use my little plane to fly around at dawn and just before dark to spot little clearings with animals in them, then later make stands in the promising spots. I mark trees along my paths with reflective markers I make from punching out 10mm circles of the best reflective tape I can find and stick them onto thumb tacks. Using a headlamp I find my trails easier to walk in total darkness than in daylight. No matter what time of day or night I've traveled to the stands I've spooked the occasional animal. Doesn't seem to matter how sneaky I am. Ungulates can see like it's mid day even on the darkest night.