PDA

View Full Version : Moose Rut Fort St. James Area

papaken
03-21-2009, 12:43 AM
Yes, I know bear hasn't even opened yet and I'm already thinkin' moose. :lol:
Planning to put in for group hunt in 7-25 or 7-26 for Bull Only. Would like to try calling and have a few questions. I know calf opens usually on Oct. 10th and there is a lot of pressure then. Was wondering when the rut starts and if one area might be better than the other. Not adverse to getting one next to the road but I prefer to park and hike in on the deactivated roads or into swamps and meadows. Tried calling before but best I have done is a young bull after light faded, no chance for a shot:frown:. Hoping that I can get one with my bow but will have to see if I can get them coming in close if not it'll be back to the Remington. It works great if you have to reach out and touch 'em:wink:. Most of the guys I know go for the calf opening and none of them call so I am looking for you all's input.
Thx in advance papaken

moosehunter21
03-21-2009, 12:59 AM
Theres no moose here better to go somewhere else!lol

hunter1947
03-21-2009, 05:47 AM
If me I would be there for the first 2 week of Oct.

Good luck on your hunt for them this year.

papaken
03-21-2009, 08:32 AM
moosehunter21 :roll: "You fibber you!" Been there 3 times, seen moose there:lol:. Got a cow on a draw once and an immy on another trip. Both those trips were around the Thanksgiving weekend, with a rifle. The other trip was a bit earlier looking for elk as well but got skunked:eek:. Now I want to try calling and see if I can't get one with my bow:biggrin:.
thx

steel_ram
03-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Last week of Sept - First week of October

Vader
03-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Been there early... been late.. Concur with the last week of Sept and first week of Oct. October the leaves are dropping pretty quick and the visibility goes up. Be amazed at the trails you see when the leaves are off.

tomahawk
03-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Last week of Sept - First week of October

Words from the wise! Best 2 weeks for sure.

kyleklassen
03-21-2009, 01:01 PM
hunted 6-06,7-26 for 14 seasons. bulls were rutting nearly every time second week of oct.

sfire436
03-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Used to hunt 7 26 quite a bit. Always found last week of sep and first week of oct to be best. I prefer to get there just before she starts getting hot and be there for the beginging of the rut. Anywhere in 7 26 is good as we never had a prob filling our LEH tags. Just stay clear of the Indian res.

Cabin21
03-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Always hunted secondweek of october 10 days never been skunked, in 32 years shot big bulls and immatures. With rifle or bow Plus I call them in or if I jump one I can call and 9 out of 10 they stop. 7-24 is a better Thats where I hunt.

moosehunter21
03-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Always hunted secondweek of october 10 days never been skunked, in 32 years shot big bulls and immatures. With rifle or bow Plus I call them in or if I jump one I can call and 9 out of 10 they stop. 7-24 is a better Thats where I hunt.
No moose there either better try another area!

Tron
03-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Words from the wise! Best 2 weeks for sure.

I agree, have been in that area twice at this time and they were rutting hard

tomahawk
03-22-2009, 07:04 PM
hunted 6-06,7-26 for 14 seasons. bulls were rutting nearly every time second week of oct.

With out a doubt your going to find them still rutting in the second week of Oct but the prime heavy rut for big bulls is last week Sept and first of Oct.

MOE Biologists from PG have found bulls grunting cows in Aug out near Purden Lake and well into Oct. Small bulls start early and last a long time, the prime breeding bulls start later, peak quickly and taper off not long afterwards. I've called bulls to bow range from Sept 10th to Oct 19th but there is a peak which is approx 2 weeks for the big breeding bulls.

papaken
03-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Thx All
It sounds like before Thanksgiving may be better than after. If I'm not mistaken 6pt elk are open 'til the 9th of Oct. as well. I guess I'll put in for LEH bull in 7:26 even tho' moosehunter21 assures me "thar's no moose anywhere in 7A" I'll have to take my chances. LOL Eh! moosehunter21 is there any elk up that way????

Sitkaspruce
03-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Thx All
It sounds like before Thanksgiving may be better than after. If I'm not mistaken 6pt elk are open 'til the 9th of Oct. as well. I guess I'll put in for LEH bull in 7:26 even tho' moosehunter21 assures me "thar's no moose anywhere in 7A" I'll have to take my chances. LOL Eh! moosehunter21 is there any elk up that way????

Papaken

If you are also interested in Elk, apply for 7-13 or 7-14, much better elk and good moose and deer as well, and if I was you, and wanted to bow hunt, I would go from the 25th to the first of Oct. Having lived there for 14 years and guided for 10, I have had much better success calling in all bulls in the early stages of the rut, 25-30th, than the later stages, after Oct 1st. And the elk will still be Bugling aroung the 25th as well.

PM me if you want any more info on either 7-26 or 7-13/14.

Cheers

SS

Bowtime
03-24-2009, 02:31 PM
I've called in most of my big bulls before October. If you get a cold morning around September 20 you can get those big ones coming. I find the first of October most of the big bulls are with the cows already so they come to the call as well. But you may find them in the swamps and open cuts following the cows then. But I would say last week of Sept and first week of Oct for best hunting. I hunt around babine lake. I assume the moose get going around fort st. james at the same time. Good Luck.

GoatGuy
03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Papaken

If you are also interested in Elk, apply for 7-13 or 7-14, much better elk and good moose and deer as well, and if I was you, and wanted to bow hunt, I would go from the 25th to the first of Oct. Having lived there for 14 years and guided for 10, I have had much better success calling in all bulls in the early stages of the rut, 25-30th, than the later stages, after Oct 1st. And the elk will still be Bugling aroung the 25th as well.

PM me if you want any more info on either 7-26 or 7-13/14.

Cheers

SS

X2. Earlier seems to be better.

sfire436
03-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Forgot to say, the two moose I am holding in my avatar, 7-26ers! one was the last week of sept, and the other was the first week of oct.