2 Tbsp cider vinegar
5 juniper berries, crushed
4 slices white or french bread
butter
salt and freshly milled black pepper
6 Tbsp gin
¼ pint double cream
lemon juice

1. Heat the oil with the red wine, vinegar and half the crushed juniper berries. Marinate the meat in this mixture for 2 - 3 hours.
2. Cut the crusts off the bread. Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a frying pan and fry the bread until golden brown, then transfer it to a plate and keep hot.
3. Fry the venison in the remaining butter for 4-5 minutes each side, salting each side once cooked. Then arrange the venison slices on the bread.
4. Dilute the juices in the pan with the gin. Whip 2 tablespoons of the cream until stiff. Stir 2 tablespoons of the marinade, the remaining cream and crushed juniper berries and the lemon juice into the sauce, then season with pepper.
5. Bring to the boil, mix with the whipped cream and serve with the venison.
Serve with: warm apple sauce.

VENISON PIE

1 lb boneless stewing venison, cut into small cubes
Flour for coating
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 wineglass red wine or port
¾ lb pork sausage meat
½ lb cooked ham, cut into small cubes
packet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten to glaze
¼ pint jellied beef stock, warmed or consommé

1. Coat the venison cubes in flour seasoned with cinnamon and plenty of salt and pepper and put in a casserole dish. Stir in the red wine or port, cover and cook in a moderate oven 350F for 1 1/2 until the venison is tender.
2. Put half the sausage meat in pie dish. Mix the ham into the venison mixture, and put this on top of the sausage meat. Finish with a layer of sausage meat.
3. Roll out the dough to fit the top of the pie dish, cutting a strip to go round the lip of the dish. Wet the lip and press the dough strip around it.
4. Wet the strip and put the dough lid on top, pressing down well to seal and making a hole in the middle to fit a pastry funnel. Decorate the top of the pie with the dough trimmings. Brush with beaten egg.
5. Bake in a fairly hot oven 400F for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden-brown. Gradually pour in the stock through a funnel, being careful that it does not overflow.
6. Serve immediately or leave until cold before slicing.

eastkoot
03-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Obviously no one likes venison.. What ever happened to salt pepper, sear on bith sides and enjoy??? If you have to use all that other S**t to cover the original flavor, don't shoot it..

500grhollowpoint
03-20-2009, 08:36 PM
^^^ Ignore this guy. Thanks for the recipies. If only my printer was working I would file them. Maybe I shold make a word recipie book.....

Wolfman
03-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Boy, you have it all figured out, don't you, Ali?

With cooking like that going on in your house I'm surprised Peter doesn't weigh 500 pounds - which he *didn't* look like he did, last time I saw him ;-)

Mike

tomahawk
03-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Obviously no one likes venison.. What ever happened to salt pepper, sear on bith sides and enjoy??? If you have to use all that other S**t to cover the original flavor, don't shoot it..

That's how I like it too, but its nice to fancy it up now and agin for a change of flavour!

500grhollowpoint
03-21-2009, 08:39 AM
I agree. Just because you like Budwieser does not mean you can't have a heineken every once in a while.

newhunterette
03-21-2009, 09:47 AM

I like that way to prepare venison as well eastkoot, however, I also enoy cooking and trying new things and creating new dishes and also changing things up from the norm, to me my cooking skills are like an artists skills, always trying to improve and entice the pallet to give people new flavours, sometimes food can get boring and drab, I enjoy adding some flair

^^^ Ignore this guy. Thanks for the recipies. If only my printer was working I would file them. Maybe I shold make a word recipie book.....

HBC had a cookbook created, it was fun to do but unfortunatley as much as it was success it didn't generate the funds for the site we hoped for, but had more success with it after all was said and done

Boy, you have it all figured out, don't you, Ali?

With cooking like that going on in your house I'm surprised Peter doesn't weigh 500 pounds - which he *didn't* look like he did, last time I saw him ;-)
Mike

Mike, I like seeing his enjoyment when I try a new recipe for him in the kitchen, Peter enjoys food hehehehehe (and being my food critic guinea pig)- no he isn't 500 lbs but he does have to work at that waistline to not weigh that much hehehehehe

That's how I like it too, but its nice to fancy it up now and agin for a change of flavour!

thanks tom - exactly how I think - basic is wonderful but nice to go the extra mile once in a while to make things interesting

I agree. Just because you like Budwieser does not mean you can't have a heineken every once in a while.

food should never be boring - enjoy it how ever which way you like - I just enjoy sharing a change to the same old same old