PDA

View Full Version : Stewart BC/Hyder AK Hunting

shanevg
03-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Hey I was curious if anyone has any information on the Stewart/Hyder area for hunting. I'm a WA resident so I can't hunt in BC but I can hunt moose and deer and elk in the Hyder area. I know Stewart and Hyder are pretty much the same town, so I was wondering if anyone knows anything about moose on the Alaska side of the border. Are there any to be found? Are there a lot of hunters? Anyone know any good locations? Is there any alpine deer hunting? Are there any elk to be found?

I'm also curious about the mountain goat hunting by Stewart in February. Again, I can't hunt it, I am just curious for curiosity sake. Is that a good hunt or is it only open to get the goats out of there? Can anyone even find the goats? Do people hunt on skis or what?

Thanks for any info, I really appreciate it.

gerrygoat
03-19-2009, 01:32 PM
There definitely are no caribou around in the Stewart/Hyder area and only a few moose. That area does have good goat hunting and lots of bears both Blacks and Grizz, I have no idea on what the hunting seasons are like in that part of Alaska though. If there is a season for goats there it would be a great spot for a Washington state guy to do a hunt with the proper research of course (don't you need a guide for some species in AK?) The area around Stewart gets huge snow so the winter hunt would be pretty tough I would check it out in October/November when the snows start driving the goats down.

shanevg
03-19-2009, 01:35 PM
There definitely are no caribou around in the Stewart/Hyder area and only a few moose. That area does have good goat hunting and lots of bears both Blacks and Grizz, I have no idea on what the hunting seasons are like in that part of Alaska though. If there is a season for goats there it would be a great spot for a Washington state guy to do a hunt with the proper research of course (don't you need a guide for some species in AK?) The area around Stewart gets huge snow so the winter hunt would be pretty tough I would check it out in October/November when the snows start driving the goats down.

I was mistaken about he caribou hunting, no hunting around there. The goat and grizzly hunts require a guide unluckily. I can hunt moose, elk, and deer (and wolf and wolverine). Does anyone know if the hunting is worthwhile for moose, elk, or deer? Are there any alpine sitka blacktails around there?

rgv
03-19-2009, 01:50 PM
the salmon river valley is too tight to house many moose, but there are a few around. i've driven from stewart to tide lake/granduc a thousand times, and you usually only see moose in the winter. lots of goats and bears.

d6dan
03-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Shanevg

Well i lived there in the late 80's Scaling Logs and last i checked there wasn't any elk nor moose. Lots of bears hanging around Fish Ck. in (USA). Lots of goats to see. Look up south of Stewart, the cambria Icefield sticks out. Lots of goats. Had a draw but didn't want to get eaten by bears. goats are LEH there. Go shoot some pharmigan up the salmon river. Oh yah, go say hello to Chuck Hart for me .aka (Gunrunner). He's has a shop in Hyder. Good people there, kinda miss it.. have fun.

shanevg
03-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Anyone got any information on deer hunting up there?

The February goat hunting area I was talking about is the Zone A section of 6-14 which is the northern tip of the 6-14 unit north of Marmot River. Looking at the satellite images there, it looks like a lot of mountains and stuff. I was just curious what the hunting was like there and even if there were any goats in there in February.

Anyways any help with deer hunting would be greatly appreciated. I also looked for Gunrunner in the member list and couldn't find him.

gerrygoat
03-19-2009, 03:41 PM
I don't know about the deer so someone else will have to chime in. There are goats year round in the area you are talking about they will most likely be hanging out on a south or west facing slope somewhere during the winter. This area used to be LEH until last year.

ve7iuq
03-19-2009, 03:48 PM
I've been there, never hunted. I would say there is a way too much snow to think of deer.

d6dan
03-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Anyone got any information on deer hunting up there?

The February goat hunting area I was talking about is the Zone A section of 6-14 which is the northern tip of the 6-14 unit north of Marmot River. Looking at the satellite images there, it looks like a lot of mountains and stuff. I was just curious what the hunting was like there and even if there were any goats in there in February.

Anyways any help with deer hunting would be greatly appreciated. I also looked for Gunrunner in the member list and couldn't find him.

Thats the area I had my goat draw in. Most of the deer hunting takes place down the portland canal. out towards the ocean.

threedhunter
03-19-2009, 04:36 PM
just a note here, lived up there till 97. no deer locally, moose are east, inland, once in awhile between stewart and the glacier but not often, goats in tha area you are looking at , but will be on very steep cliff faces untill nearly spring,no elk , blacks and grizz in abundance, wloves and wolverine seen but not hunted a bunch anymore so may be approachable to stalk.
hyder is located in a national forest, when i lived there, you couldn't hunt in the area, check alaska regs.
chuck has/had the only gun store in hyder , may or may not still be open, call to check.was a great guy to deal with, gave us canadians great deatls on everything.threedhunter.

shanevg
03-23-2009, 09:47 PM
I am thinking of doing a trip up to Stewart/Hyder this summer. I see that the Cambria Icefields seem to get a lot of mention as far as seeing mountain goats goes. Any suggestions for ways to access the area via hiking/backpacking to get some mountain goat viewing/photography? Are there any hiking trails around there? How can you access the icefields?

d6dan
03-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Via the old dump site or Marmot river will get you up there, oh ya take lots of ammo cause you'll need it for the bears.

shanevg
03-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Anyone know anything about the Ore Mountain Trail? How is that for access up to the alpine to find mountain goats? Does anyone know if there are any goats in the hills NW of town, just inside the Alaskan border? Are there any back country skiiers on here who live in Stewart? Looks like some pretty sweet country.

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=12758.0
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=12759.0

BCbillies
03-24-2009, 10:38 PM
I hiked the Ore Mountain Trail last summer. I didn't quite make it to alpine (ran out of time) but it's definitely an easy way to get to the top. Most of the mountains around Stewart/Hyder have goats . . . it's just where to find them during the year. Near the end of August I see the goats near the top 1/3rd of the mountain.

gerrygoat
03-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Shanevg, the choice is clear you need to move to B.C. you know you want to :)

shanevg
03-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Shanevg, the choice is clear you need to move to B.C. you know you want to :)

You know I want to, its the wife I have to convince! ;-)

fester
03-25-2009, 08:23 AM
The hyder side is a park!! Tongas National Park i think, i don't know if you can hunt there?

gerrygoat
03-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Hopefully she will enjoy your trip here in the summer and want to stay. If you do a trip PM me and I can give you some tips on other nice areas to see .

shanevg
03-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Hopefully she will enjoy your trip here in the summer and want to stay. If you do a trip PM me and I can give you some tips on other nice areas to see .

I would love that. And seriously, it has been a dream of mine (quite literally my whole life) to go on a goat hunt. I would love to go along with some of you guys some time, at the very least I could help with spotting, packing out, and photography.