PDA

View Full Version : Count down is on...

Bow Walker
03-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Bear season in 10 days. Anyone trying for a blackie with a bow? Besides me, that is?

My setup for Black Bear - 60lb draw weight, 386 - 390 grain arrow weight, 100 grain Razorcaps or Slick Tricks, Vortex 8.5x50 binos, and a good buddy with a huge magnum rifle, for backup...

Looking forward to some quality time in the tulies.

Onesock
03-19-2009, 10:48 AM
:-PShootin' that setup you will need someone with a gun for backup!!

Bow Walker
03-19-2009, 10:55 AM
:-PShootin' that setup you will need someone with a gun for backup!!

...Vortex 8.5x50 binos, and a good buddy with a huge magnum rifle, for backup...

Noted and addressed.:biggrin:

Flingin' Sticks
03-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Thinking about giving it a shot this year. Take the Recurve for a walk with the GF running rifle behind me (or beside me...don't want her to get anxious and shoot the wrong beast...). Of course, our bear season won't be a go for another couple of months given that I've still got 3' of snow in my back yard and it's still comming down this morning.

Global warming my ass.

newhunterette
03-19-2009, 11:13 AM
not with a bow but certainly will be out there with my rifle - won't be out with a bow until I finally decide what kind I want and learn how to use it properly

but definitely spring bear trip happening for me :)

good luck on yours Bow Walker :)

houndogger
03-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Yup taken many with the longbow.

willyqbc
03-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Yup..will definately be chasing the bears with my bow in a month or so!!

Shooting an ultratec at 63#'s, 325 grain Victory arrows with 100 grain slick trick, coming off the string at 307 fps. Hopefully I will have the time this year to spend on chasing a BIG bear...if not a pepperoni bear will still make me happy!! Hopefully we will get the wifey on her first archery bear as well!

Good luck all!!

Chris

Bow Walker
03-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Well...as to the weather down here, we got about 4 inches of the white stuff last Monday - lasted all day and was gone by the next morning. Temps are above freezing now and it's been raining (on and off) for the last 5 days or so. Getting awfully bored with the wet stuff, I might add, but at least I can hunt in it. After all, it's only water.

jessbennett
03-19-2009, 11:43 AM
it will be the end of april to beginning of may before things really get goin around here.:-(
but as always will be out looking for a hog thats for sure. ;-)

Tanya
03-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Don't usually bother until at least mid April, and even a bit later if it there's a lot of snow.

Haven't taken a bear with a bow for a few years, although I passed on one last fall. I'll likely hunt with either muzzleloader or bow late spring and fall for blackies.

John took his big boar with a recurve last fall, it's all about shot placement. Remember that they have big, big shoulder bones, aim a might lower than you'd think and you'll have no problem. Good luck eh!

jessbennett
03-19-2009, 12:31 PM
im just waiting for the new hunting bow to show up. should be here next week. . . . . . . . .
will get er ready to go. thinkin bout trying some rocket 75 grain wolverines this year. or will just go with the tekans. havent decided yet.

Evolution
03-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Ive got my boots greased, my shafts fletched, my broadheads sharpened , my string waxed, my area scouted and mapped, all I need now is a tag and another 10 days of rain NOT snow! Ill be using a 59# @ 29" Checkmate TD Hunter, 11/32 POC, with a single bevel 145gr Grizzly broadhead with" bone splitting power point of double thickness high carbon steel with smooth tapered ferrule area for unmatched penetration." I have a Flextone Fawn ball fo calling em in if I can get my stand in an appropriate location. My friend is going to be hunting close by with his dog, but Im planning on hunting alone. I will be carrying my 30.06 and a can of bear spray. Unfortunately I can't go right on April 1st, as usual my wife is interfering with my hunting, she is due on April 5th so I realistically I wont be getting up Island til around the 6th or so LOL. No Actually Im planning a trip to Vernon Lake on April 29th, but in the mean time Im sure we'll be looking closer to home.

03-19-2009, 02:07 PM
I'll definately be trying for a black bear with the bow this spring. Probably won't go out until at least the third week of April.

bruin
03-19-2009, 02:13 PM
I've got till the 14th of April to hunt for myself. I'm in the FV so I'll be looking for local bears out early. Never know, certainly doesn't hurt to try.
I would like to use my recurve but I haven't been practicing nearly enough so it will be a Hoyt for this boy.

Happy hunting

Sideofabarn
03-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Slowly getting it all dialled in. Got hold of some tekans to try as well. Passed on a couple of bears last year because I was cocky, won't be happening this year. As Flingin Sticks said, just need to get rid of some of that white crap outside first.

jrjonesy
03-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Definately being going out with the Drenalin....may be waiting until May though. Looking forward to it.

Bow Walker
03-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Yup - rain here at sealevel but what its doing up in the hills is most likely a very different story. We'll be sticking our noses up the side roads beginning April 1. As far as we can get up the side roads, that is. Pics to accompany posts...

scallywag
03-19-2009, 07:47 PM
i am trying to find to tell my gf that more bears need harvesting in be any reading matrerial to help fight my cause??

oldtimer
03-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Definitely Dan, Just out of hospital so should be good to go around the middle of May. Shooting my old High Country Carbon Force at 64# 31 1/2" draw and shooting Gold Tips with 75 grain Muzzy's. Tips may seem light to some but plenty of kinetic to get the job done. Mike

mike_b
03-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Never actually gone bear hunting, but asbolutely gonna give 'er a try this year. I've gotta do a little more research though; got a good idea where I wanna go but no idea when the best time would be..........

Ron.C
03-19-2009, 08:22 PM
I've got my muzzleloader sighted in. I thought I was pumped up and ready to take my first blackpowder animal. Thanks alot Bigwhiteys, now you've got me thinking spot and stalk with the bow :roll:

Decisions, decisions..............................

nomad
03-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Son in law will be on his bow. I've had to hold off practicing with the recurve due to an injury so I'll bring along the rifle for back up, and of course the camera!

tbear
03-20-2009, 12:16 PM
I will be out there for sure. Last year was my first year going after spring bear, really enjoyed the spot and stalk. Took a small bear last year with my bow. Chris Wright was good enough to help me find a few and capture on video. I will be looking for a rug quality bear this year. I have only taken three bears and each one had something wrong with the coat. I always enjoy the meat. Great pepperoni and ground. Good luck in the field.

Stevem63
03-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Bow is tuned and sighted and the tight points are flying better then the fieldpoints Can't wait :D

Bow Walker
03-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Definitely Dan, Just out of hospital so should be good to go around the middle of May. Shooting my old High Country Carbon Force at 64# 31 1/2" draw and shooting Gold Tips with 75 grain Muzzy's. Tips may seem light to some but plenty of kinetic to get the job done. Mike
Mike - you take your time and get back to 100% before you start in on the hunting! Wouldn't want to go back under the knife would you?:eek: There'll be plenty 'o' bear for you spot n stalk when you're up to it. Don't get anxious.

Had a visit trip to the interior planned but that's been put off for later on so going for a Black Bear locally is a high consideration. The 'shoulder' is back in shape and I've been 'flinging' a few arrows every day lately to keep it in shape.

The basic tools, a Hoyt Cyber-tec set at 65#, 100gr Muzzys, Bushnell Scout 1000 range finder and a compact set of Nikon 9x21 Sprint II bino's. I have yet to talk & convince a shooting buddy to partner up, partially for back up as well.

Just prior is the two day IBEP course at the Victoria F&G Protective Association.

Hummer - you might want to consider dropping 5 to 8 bs on the draw weight - for the shoulder - it won't make any difference to the 'dead' bear at all.;-)

Tanya
03-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Yup, I agree Bow Walker, you don't need a heavy poundage, it is shot placement that counts. A 50 pound bow with a well placed sharp projectile will kill a bear just fine. You might not get the distance shots, but hey, isn't bow hunting all about closing the distance?

Robinhood
03-21-2009, 09:44 PM
I'll be out after a blackie with my bow sometime in May. Last year was close, hoping for more this year...

Gateholio
03-21-2009, 10:58 PM
I hope to win the Crossbow from the raffle at our annual banquet!..Then I will be a bowhunting machine!:mrgreen:

tuffteddyb
03-22-2009, 10:01 AM
yup i will be usin my weatherby or my savage bow with 150 grain arrows goin about 3200 fps!laughin!
no seriouslly i want to try one with my ole hoyt,set @ 74 lbs with a 385 grain arrow,with grim reapers and montecs on em.

Bow Walker
03-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Lots of poundage being bandied about. Just a word to the wise - make sure you can draw your bow (comfortably and easily) when it's only the one shot that you get.

65+ lbs is a lot to draw when there is only one chance.