PDA

View Full Version : Sat phone rentals

358mag
03-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Anyone out there know of a compny that rents Iridium sat phones as need one for up and coming northern BC packpack trip

budismyhorse
03-18-2009, 10:06 PM
we rented one for our trip last year....I'll dig up the company....it was pretty pricey but we were deperate. all said and done, shipped back and forth, hidden fees and crazy expensive minutes we almost spent 400 bucks.

compare that with the 30 a day charge that the pilot was going to charge us we should have just went that way.

vanislehunter1
03-18-2009, 10:23 PM
why don't you just get one of those spot satellite messengers. in the long run, it will pretty much pay for itself, as its only 170 bucks or whatever and you can give your loved ones the peace of mind that you are ok and only costs 20 bucks a month. unless, of course, you want to talk to your loved ones, then get a sat phone.

Deadshot
03-18-2009, 10:30 PM
If your in town try Deakin Equipment on Broadway.

bridger
03-18-2009, 10:30 PM
try petron communications or quaisar communications in fort st john don't have their numbers but u can 411 them. if they don't they may know someone there that does

budismyhorse
03-18-2009, 10:43 PM
why don't you just get one of those spot satellite messengers. in the long run, it will pretty much pay for itself, as its only 170 bucks or whatever and you can give your loved ones the peace of mind that you are ok and only costs 20 bucks a month. unless, of course, you want to talk to your loved ones, then get a sat phone.

a few air charter companies won't fly you into a lake without one....supposedly you need to communicate with them for your flight out....or to give them more money, one of the two.

Dad and son
03-18-2009, 11:48 PM
I have a global star phone you can use for a small fee. I live in Burnaby work in Vancouver

bridger
03-19-2009, 02:11 AM
I have one in two pieces thanks to a camp raiding grizz last year that you can use.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-19-2009, 05:26 AM
a few air charter companies won't fly you into a lake without one....supposedly you need to communicate with them for your flight out....or to give them more money, one of the two.

I've flown with 4 different air charters and none of them had a requirement like that:-?.

Have a scheduled pick up date...be there and wait.

You can also use the SPOT system....with some pre-arranged communications. If you want to be picked up early and/or from a different location...hit the "Help" button and have your contacts contact the charter company with you new pick up location or date. Just make sure you let the company know about your possible alternative plans to make sure they're kosher with them.

Although...It is nice to know that your message was received.

SSS

naes
03-19-2009, 08:06 AM
I used these guys worked out ok for me. www.roadpost.ca

HD95
03-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Don't know who you've been flying with....I've flown in numerous times,just be there on pickup day,or in the case of some pilots,put out your tarp if you need to be picked up early

bcboy
03-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Whatever you do rent them in Vancouver, do no rent from the Air charters.. you will pay a very large premium..
Anyone that sells sat. phones will also rent them..

03-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Quinsam communications out of Campbell River rents them. If you go with iridium (much better service) make sure that the phone has the right "card" in it for the area. The globalstar`s will work wherever though. Also maybe take an extra batt. for the globalstar as the ones in the phones that have been out for a while usually don`t last long, maybe 45 min. or so and 20-25 min. of that time can be spent looking for service. I would also keep the batt. out of the phone in case it gets turned on by accident and before you use it warm it up in your pocket or something.