PDA

View Full Version : Blacktail deer hunting tips?

duckhunt
03-18-2009, 05:09 PM
I want to go hunt Blacktail's come September and i am looking for some tips on hunting them do you glass clear cuts like mule deer hunting or do you sit and wait for them like a whitetail. also what do you look for in a Blacktail deer area?

SHACK
03-18-2009, 06:12 PM
OMG, that would require enough typing to create a hard covered edition of books.
If your new to blacktail hunting, Boyd Iverson has a book out called BLACKTAIL TROPHY TACTICS that is a good read for someone starting off, he's from Oregon, but most of the techniques he has writen can be applied here.
All deer hunting tactics can be used for hunting blacktails, but the best one is get out and hunt, not in your truck, or on your quad, but on foot, through the coastal jungle, you will learn alot more about them, and see more game (providing you dont hunt like a bull in a china shop)
Although not as patteranble as a white tail, they are somewhat more of a "routine" animal, so your whitetail hunting stratagies can work well, such as tree stands, hunting rub lines, between bedding and feeding areas, rattling etc.
Good luck, it takes time to get good at it, I have 30 something blacktails under my belt, and still wonder if I am ever going to figure these things out.......sometimes a little luck helps too!

Jelvis
03-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Question is, " What area will I try for a nice blacktail deer? "
How much time will I set aside to hunt in September?
How far do I go on the highways and biways, forest road etc, to try a walk in to see a deer?
Things like that, your from Surrey so the closest would be?
I personally would go up Anderson Creek, it's in the Fraser Canyon off the highway. Google it. It's in region 2.
Drive up and scout for tracks along the banks of the fsr. Any fresh trail.
Hunt early and try to hunt blacktails on a cloudy, kind of a light drizzley day, if possible.
Blacktails up Chilliwack Lake area too.
Anderson Creek, check it out!
Jel---just over the bridge on the highway turn right up Anderson and go.

Islandeer
03-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Or follow Pro Guide, he sleeps with them.

proguide66
03-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Or follow Pro Guide, he sleeps with them.

haha...I only slept with a couple !........

How to answer a question like that...hmm.....one thing I would strongly suggest is to go out , find a place that has fresh crap and tracks......this you are going to HAVE TO FIND YOURSELF first......if you cant pull that off..quit.....lolol....after that...focus ALL your time on that one spot...DONT start chasin spots or drivin around ( wich doesnt gain you knowlege), you will loose ( ok , 95% of the time you will loose)...learn wich way the wind blows and what time the thermals change...figure out where the fresh poop makers come/go.( if you only see does---PERFECT)...figure out wich direction you should approach your spot and what time....just keep learning HOW to hunt that one spot.....until you start seein the poop makers...keep goin to that spot and dont stop goin to the same spot.....each day is gained knowlege..soon you will intimately know your spot and how to hunt it...this is 'key' to all species...but especially to bag a blacky..soon it will all come together , you will bag your deer....then you can use your knowlege to pick and choose each season..setting the bar higher!!..next thing you know , you will KNOW whats livin in your area and will be able to pass on the young ones ect ect..and you will know when a big one is going to show and where......good luck...ps..when the big one shows , 'pm me' with where it is..:biggrin:

115 or bust
03-18-2009, 10:03 PM
PG thats probably the best advice for big bt's anyone could give.

Steeleco
03-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Read this: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/mule-deer-blacktail-deer-hunting/gf_aa116604a/

And remember, when it rains, go BT hunting!!

hunter1947
03-19-2009, 04:50 AM
What you said is correct ,glass slashes first daylight and set up in an active slash area watch 2 hr before sun set.

Hunt the timber latter on in the morning ,put on lots of Kilometers and you will find.

As for the age look for big antlers and the age will go with the rack ,good luck this fall young fella.

scallywag
03-19-2009, 06:48 AM
oh that is what i was doing wrong this year. well

Wild one
03-19-2009, 09:13 AM
PG is giving you some good advice I would use it.The best tips I have for you are get use to hunting in the rain(most of my BT's were taken in the rain)and look for spots that are ether over looked by others or you have to work to get to them. Hunting BT's will drive you crazy to the point you quit or become addicted.

proguide66
03-19-2009, 10:37 AM
PS , once you have 2 or 3 'spots' that are paying off , under NO circimstances shall you tell anyone!!!...thats a PILE of work/time to give away for free , and believe me , that gift will keep on giving!......unless they have something very worth while to trade...like
' kilted girls and free beeer'....other than that , dont do it!:razz:

Jelvis
03-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Hey that Anderson main-I was frothing about-ok-check this--hunter of blacktailers.
MU 3-14 Lytton - Boston Bar - Anderson River -
- Just south of Boston Bar, the Anderson main leaves hwy 1 climbs steadily to the south west. Road forks @ 6 km. You can turn on Uztlius Creek Main.
--- Some good blues ( grouse) on zee top ridge. Summit is 12k up. BAM! -- your now in MU 3-13, hey I can see Merritt side --- POW!
--- Up the Anderson are blacktail and mules---BOOM!
Either side of the Fraser Canyon and along Harrison Lake and on up into the Lilwat--BANG! Be willing to climb---KaPoW!
---One more---MU 2-8 Lots of deer and bear in Upper Pitt, Indian Arm.
---Late season hunt the cedar swamps--BAM! ---
Jel--Good luck blacktailing--upper end of Harrison Lake--- MU 2-9 BANG!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

danfloris
03-19-2009, 01:52 PM
not trying to start any kind of arguemet isnt anderson out of the scoreable blacktial rage out there, i think if im not mistakes are considered a cross or a mulie.

bcboy
03-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Believe it or not i drive the LM and find signs {hwy} that say watch for deer.. hey 30-40 under my belt so .. and I usually am 1 km or so only off the hwy.
Here I believe North of the lilloet river you are out of B&C if i remember correctly

Jelvis
03-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Squamish ----- or Samsqwatch --- lol.
Good ooooonnne brohski
Muley or blacktail? Two words ears and tail. Note the differences. POW!
Jel---ears like a ? Ans- mule Tail like a ? Ans- rope -- muley.

ruger#1
03-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Im glad i dont hunt them, They scare me.

Jelvis
03-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Blacktails are very smart deer, probably the smartest of the main three. Why?
Well I'll tell yah.
They live in some of the steepest, ugliest, thickest second growth you'll ever want to walk through. Vine maple, devil's club, thick bush growing in rock and gravel and slippery branches, WHACK! In dah face. Dat hurt!
Yah you better be ready for a hike or a long drive to catch one of dee's deer.
Wet days, a bit of a wind and cloudy. Wear rubber boots and cover the lenzes of your 2.5 power rifle scope.
Old abandoned apple orchards on a little mountain or hill--Ka BOOM!
Walk the old abandoned logging roads along the sides of steeper hills-POW!
Jel--blacktails eat thistles-love apples-and open areas like mountain openings-just before dusk-KA-BAM!

bcboy
03-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Squamish ----- or Samsqwatch --- lol.
Good ooooonnne brohski
Muley or blacktail? Two words ears and tail. Note the differences. POW!
Jel---ears like a ? Ans- mule Tail like a ? Ans- rope -- muley.

Its like we hunt samsquatch but ya gota be a squamptonian to be allowed in the :idea: club

Cody-ak
06-16-2018, 07:47 PM
Are areas like Brohm Ridge worth avoiding altogether given the snowmobile club? I did one scout up there and only found bear tracks

walks with deer
06-18-2018, 08:48 PM
oh boy...

hike hike hike tell you find a pocket of them then hunt them..
start scouting now.