PDA

View Full Version : 11 Nov

Ltbullken
11-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Hey folks - while you're out hunting today, take a moment to honour those who made it possible to do so as free people.

"Lest we forget"

Shoey
11-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey folks - while you're out hunting today, take a moment to honour those who made it possible to do so as free people.

"Lest we forget"

Amen

And when you come back from hunting, stop in at a Legion and buy a beer for someone in uniform.

ape
11-11-2005, 05:32 PM
and please remember these fine people and the freedom they fought for when we go back to the polls in the spring.

11-11-2005, 07:04 PM
and please remember these fine people and the freedom they fought for when we go back to the polls in the spring.

Well said!!!!

Steeleco
11-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Me and my son did just that at 11:00 in a nice clearing watching the snow.
Was a nice moment just the two of us.

Tarp Man
11-11-2005, 09:22 PM
It is something that easily gets swept away in Canada's tradition of peacekeeping. When it comes down to it, we can get it done. I am honoured to be a Canadian, in large part because of what was done by my granfathers and father's generation. Lest we forget. Never forget
-Tarp Man

Marc
11-11-2005, 09:33 PM
I've been in the military for a little shy of 15 years so far I've been lucky and have only been in harms way once for a 4 month period in my career so far. I can't even begin to imagine what it would have been like back then fighting in those conditions. I still continue to proudly serve our country but these guys are the true Hero's, the WWI & WWII Vets, soldiers and Peace Keepers who fought and died for our country.

mrdoog
11-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Marc, never discount your years of service.

rock
11-11-2005, 10:02 PM
were all very fortunate for what those soldiers did for our benefit, I'm proud to be canadian, I'm happy living were I do,
marc your there when your needed don't forget that.

Tarp Man
11-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Marc, here is a direct thank you for what you do. I work in health care and I am reminded of what I have not experienced when I take a person's blood pressure and see a military tattoo on their arm or hand. There is a great memorial overlooking the beach at the federal park tourist trap by Tofino, by Long Beach? It's worth stoppng to read and ponder in that location. I have a photo of it, but cannot find it, and I won't ruin it by trying to quote it.
-Tarp Man

Marc
11-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Thanks Tarpman, I'll have to check that out when ever I get a chance to head up that way.

Marc.

Tarp Man
11-11-2005, 10:51 PM
O.K. I found the picture. The plaque is set in a granite stone, with a maple leaf medallion above it. It says,

"They will never know the beauty of this place, see the seasons change, enjoy nature's chorus. All we enjoy we owe to them, the men and women who lie buried in the earth of foreign lands and in the seven seas. Dedicated to the memory of Canadians who died overseas in the service of their country and so preserved our heritage."

This monument sits beneath a Canadian flag, overlooding a beach littered with driftwood weathered to shades of grey by the winds, tides, and waves. The driftwood extends as far as the beach, and reminded me of the men and women who fell on battlefields across the globe in defense of freedom and justice. Just one of those moments that makes you stop and consider life.
-Tarp Man

Marc
11-11-2005, 10:55 PM
You know what, it's pretty sad that we forget about this for a whole year until remembrance day comes back around. I'm in the military and don't think about it until I see popies for sale. I guess it's a good thing that we do this every year to remind people what we could have lost if it wasn't for those brave men and women.

Ltbullken
11-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Marc, hats off to your service. (I've done 19 yrs and still going.) Today, I had the honour of laying a wreath with a soldier who only a short time ago lost comrades in a far off theatre of operations. All I could think of when laying that wreath was his experience and be thankful for the country we live in, no matter how conflicted and misguided it appears at times. Quite frankly, very few have it as good as Canadians. Our vets fought 60 yrs ago in Europe, Asia and in Korea and many are in harm's way today. The commitment and sacrifice are engendered in the service they all give.

It is heartening to read the responses here today. It restores one's faith....

rollingrock
11-12-2005, 01:00 AM
Hey Marc and LT, you guys really deserve the respect for serving this country. If a country and its people started forgetting those who serve in harms way, this country would be going down.

Shoey
11-12-2005, 01:32 AM

This might sound like an echo...but...WELL SAID!!!

Thank you to you all...You know who you are!

huntwriter
11-12-2005, 06:16 AM
This might sound like an echo...but...WELL SAID!!!

Thank you to you all...You know who you are!
It is an echo, a good echo, and needs to be repeated over and over until everybody understands that we have to be watchfull and vote wisly or the war that should have ended all wars and the many victims all over the world will be in vain. There are many forces who just wait to take our freedom away from us. Political correctness (Marxism) and the liberals are just two of them.

ratherbefishin
11-12-2005, 07:48 AM
yes, I am reminded that guys carrying mauser actions and lee enfields once were hunting each other,17 and 18 year old kids-too young to have an adult hunting licence to shoot a deer unacompanied by an adult

doog3
11-12-2005, 08:44 AM
our family watches the remembrance day cermonies every year and it makes me proud to be a Canadian and it is so touching to see the veterans from the 1st and 2nd world wars even though there isn't many left and a very nice tribute they did on Smokey yesterday. Thank for all of the men and women who are serving In the Canadian Armed Forces

Fred
11-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Vicky's husband Rob,although not in the military, is also a defender of our country. The good people like him,the unsung, should also be honoured. Fred

troutseeker
11-12-2005, 10:15 PM
I always go to the rememberance day parade. Did it for 11 years in the military, then for 11 years in civie life. For the last 3 years I get to wear my "new" uniform, the red serge. There's nothing quite like walking amongst the men and women that fought for and those who continue to serve their country.

Troutseeker