PDA

View Full Version : lead poisoning

Tank
03-18-2009, 03:39 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/03/04/green.bullets/index.html

Interesting read...

blindman
03-18-2009, 04:10 PM
The biggest power behind the lead ban is coming from anti-hunting groups here in the US. One more way to make shooting costlier and eventually to ban guns period. There was a recently exposed effort, in Minnesota I believe, that there was a high level of lead in wild game donated to a "feed the hungry" program. It was a trumped up testing after the allegation was investigated and refuted.

30-378-magnum
03-18-2009, 08:17 PM
i dont care i shoot barnes bullets there solid copper plus i cut out all meat damaged from bullet shock anyway

Steeleco
03-18-2009, 08:48 PM
I watched a show on the tube about Trumpeter swans and how they were killed off due to lead shot. It made perfect sense, but to make a lead ban for single projectile hunting seems like a feel good idea. The odds of even taking a shot every time we go out is remote. Even then half the time the bullet is recovered. There's a significant difference between hunting birds on the wing and hunting land based animals.

Camp Cook
03-18-2009, 09:19 PM
I watched a show on the tube about Trumpeter swans and how they were killed off due to lead shot. It made perfect sense, but to make a lead ban for single projectile hunting seems like a feel good idea. The odds of even taking a shot every time we go out is remote. Even then half the time the bullet is recovered. There's a significant difference between hunting birds on the wing and hunting land based animals.

Actually it doesn't make sense to ban lead shot and I am the person with the help of many on CGNTZ that provided MP Ed Fast when he told me that he was introducing a private members bill to ban lead shot with the evidence that contrary to the emotional spewing by the uninformed that banning lead shot cannot stop the deaths of the swans....

To ban a substance that was deposited legally thru out the Fraser Valley/Sumas Prairie when it was a huge lake before the dykes were built and the lake drained in the 1940's is only an emotional feel good do nothing move.

Think of this during the 1880's - 1920 when it was banned market duck hunters using 4 & 8 bore punt mounted puntguns fired from 1 - 2 lbs of lead shot with every shot they would sneak into a spot early and shoot the duck while the flocks were still bunched up, they have their decoys out all day and they would do it again in the evening.

No one is disputing that lead is killing the swans but in order to stop further deaths from happening only 2 things can be done 1) clean up the sumas prairie or 2) stop farmers from tilling the soil and re-exposing the lead shot.

So "No" banning lead shot will not prevent any further deaths the lead is there and the valley is far to vaste to clean up.

Steeleco
03-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Now that you mention it, I do remember the show saying the same thing.

That said, it makes even less sense to ban lead from single projectiles.
I think the idea started in California, a Condor was found dead of lead poisoning, they claim it fed on an animal that had been shot and not recovered and ate the projectile.