PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Hunters!!!

35 Whelen
03-18-2009, 09:56 AM
I have a favour to ask of the turkey hunters gearing up for opening day.

I have just gone back to traditional archery and I am in need of some turkey wing feathers for arrow fletching. I am planning on getting out myself so I can gather my own, but the bird only has 8-9 feathers on a wing, so I need more than one birds worth.

If you just toss your feathers, I would sure appreciate getting them from you. I will pay the shipping and would be willing to tie some trout flies in return.

These are the primary feathers that I am looking for. They are basically the first 8-9 feathers at the leading edge of the wing....imagine your hand outstretched and it is the same feathers as you would have fingers.

Here is what they look like

Thanks and best regards
Paul

mark
03-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Have you got any arrows done with my feathers yet??? Can you show us some pics???

huntwriter
03-18-2009, 10:24 AM
I am heading out this spring and if I get a turkey I will remember to send you the primary wing feathers. Unless it is a mature tom and I make a full body mount from it.

35 Whelen
03-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Have you got any arrows done with my feathers yet??? Can you show us some pics???

Hi Mark

Not yet. Just placed my order for some shafts and assorted arrow supplies. Still need my fletching jig.

Thanks Huntwriter......

. Here is what I want to achieve with the turkey.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/1004jake/th_Grizzly.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v376/1004jake/?action=view&current=Grizzly.jpg)

huntwriter
03-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Neat. The guy that got me onto traditional archery many years ago made his own arrows too and I use to give him all the turkey feathers he needed, he even made his own boradheads.

35 Whelen
03-18-2009, 02:17 PM
That is cool....and my next thing to try. Taking a note off of the Do it Yourself forum on knife making..going to try using some old saw blades and making some broadheads. Can't imagine the feeling of building your own wooden arrows with wild turkey feather fletching and a home made broadhead, and taking a game animal with the setup.

SHACK
03-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Ill asume you bought a feather burner already? Hell if I wind up going out and bagging a bird your welcome to my feathers.

35 Whelen
03-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks Shack.

I haven't got a feather burner yet. I made a template out of some scrap metal for the feather shape ( shield) and use a rotary cloth cutter from a sewing shop...clean as a whistle, no carbon to brush off the feathers and the house doesn't stink like burnt hair....keeps the wife happy.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

SHACK
03-18-2009, 02:54 PM
slick idea! I used to have a feather burner, but found it was to big and stinky of a hassle to make my own feather fletching, now, I just buy em.

boyd050
03-18-2009, 05:19 PM
If I get one you can have mine!!!!

mark4
03-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Ditto - If I get lucky I would be happy to send you those feathers- I often see a lot of wing feathers lying around on the ground near a few of these roost trees in my favorite turkey spot- are you interested in those too ? There were quite a few last time I was there- which was last spring.

35 Whelen
03-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Thank you Boyd.....much appreciated.

Straight shooting.

35 Whelen
03-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Ditto - If I get lucky I would be happy to send you those feathers- I often see a lot of wing feathers lying around on the ground near a few of these roost trees in my favorite turkey spot- are you interested in those too ? There were quite a few last time I was there- which was last spring.

Mark....you bet. If they are wing feathers...that is exactly what I am looking for. You need the nice stiff back side of the wing feather for fletching, it stands up very well compared to commercial fletching, which is domestic turkey. Wild birds have such cool camo patterns too.

Singleshotneeded
03-18-2009, 11:36 PM
:-D No problem Paul, I'll pm you after my next turkey and get your address.
A few trout flies coming back would be great...all the best on your project, and good luck this turkey season!

35 Whelen
03-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks singleshot....much appreciated.

Just let me know what patterns you would like .....how's that for being supremely confident in your success at getting a bird..or two.

Paul