PDA

View Full Version : Best boot for Island hunting

Evolution
03-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Im looking to buy a new pair of hunting boots and after reading a few bad service reviews I changed my mind about buying the pair I had my eyes on. Honestly I dont wanna spend $500+ anyways, as the only pair of leather boots that have ever been worth that to me was my Viberg caulks. 10 years later and thousands of hours they are still like an old friend to put on. What I really want is a boot that can take all the sh*t and abuse I can throw at it. Ive looked at the Danner Canadians but the Danner Frontiers look better to me. Anyways I thought Id throw it into the HBC ring for some input. I mean for the real crappy muddy lowland terrain I have a pair of Muck Wetlands that have been absolutely excellent, the only setback is that they have no support. Realistically I wanna spend $300 but if something came highly recommended I might spring for a bit more.Thanks for any advice.

bigwhiteys
03-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Hanwag.... Right in your price range, excellent boots.

Carl

kyleklassen
03-18-2009, 09:28 AM
10 years from a set of viberg caulks you must be doing something right. i hunt on the island mostly in nov. and i just use a pair of irish setters never had a problem. i know there cheap but they work. all day on the bike in the monsoons. goin' through some nasty mud holes. the only time they get wet is when the water seeps in from the top in some of those deep ditches.

Evolution
03-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Well I havent been heli logging since '04 so I only wear them when Im hunting for morells or chantrells. I think I bought them in '99. I would imagine if I had kept logging they would be done by now, but yeah they are just as good today as they were when they were new.

30-378-magnum
03-18-2009, 10:37 AM
get a custom pair made at viberg with a goretex lining pick your sole design and insolation

Mr. Dean
03-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Honestly I dont wanna spend $500+ anyways, as the only pair of leather boots that have ever been worth that to me was my Viberg caulks.

Let me tell ya a little story;

When I was shopping for boots a couple years back, I found that Viberg made a hunting boot. I called them up to find a retailer 'round here but sadly, none too be had. :sad:

I didn't wanna buy 'blind' over the phone and explained this to them... I wanted to try something on and to be able to hold in my hands. They were appreciative of this and IMMEDIATELY pointed out that IF Viberg was a consideration, I should also look at Danner Frontier (explicitly that model line) as a manufactured 2nd choice.

Excellent people there, IMO... Even though they saw me buying something FROM someone else, they still spent 30 minutes with me on the phone explaining their rationale.

Ive looked at the Danner Canadians but the Danner Frontiers look better to me.

So I did, and I bought (Frontier Extreme) - No Regrets.... BUT, I pretty much got the last pair of size 12D in N. America that was also made in N. America (Portland Ore.). As the Co was in transition of moving production over to China.

WTS, When the day comes when I *think* I need another pair, I'll be heading off to Viberg for a fitting, because although I've had some good luck w/ Chinese built goods, most of it has not gone so well and QC is lacking.

-Talk to 'em (Viberg) and see what they can do. :smile: FWIW they pretty much were on par when it came to comparing weight.

Sitkaspruce
03-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Let me tell ya a little story;

I didn't wanna buy 'blind' over the phone and explained this to them... I wanted to try something on and to be able to hold in my hands. They were appreciative of this and IMMEDIATELY pointed out that IF Viberg was a consideration, I should also look at Danner Frontier (explicitly that model line) as a manufactured 2nd choice.

So I did, and I bought (Frontier Extreme) - No Regrets....

-Talk to 'em (Viberg) and see what they can do. :smile: FWIW they pretty much were on par when it came to comparing weight.

X2 for the Frontiers.

When I travel down to the Portland Outdoor show, I stop by the Danner Factory store and that is where I found a pair of Frontiers (Made in the USA:wink:). I have used them for 3 years now, guiding and hunting all sorts of crap, and they are the most comfortable boot I have worn, plus warm and dry. Not bad for $75....

Not sure about the Chinese made ones though.

If you want to spend the money though, go see Viberg or Hanwag.

Do a search on here, lots of info on boots.

Cheers

SS

Mr. Dean
03-18-2009, 12:32 PM
just a little FYI:

The Frontier's are now a DIFFERENT boot since the 'continental transition'. A totally different design now that's made with "Man Made" inserts, here and there, to reduce weight....

B.C.Boy(100%)
03-18-2009, 04:01 PM
This is the boot I decided to replace my old Danner High Country's 800gram with;

http://www.schnees.com/products/8060-danner-frontier-extreme-gtx-10-inch-600g-brown-mens?template_id=2

I looked at the Canadian and Trophy also, but thought I'd give these a go.

Vibergs are nice comfortable boots indeed, but they don't come with a Gore-Tex liner.
They can hold out water very very well, I can work in mine all day in the rain and still have dry feet for the most part.
When my feet do get wet in them, it's because I've been standing in water for too long, or they need to be re-waxed, though my feet are not soaked to the point of wringing out my socks, but a bit more than foot moisture.

huntcoop
03-18-2009, 04:26 PM
I've had Danner Canadians for many seasons and they are incredible.

scallywag
03-18-2009, 04:41 PM
has anyone out there ever own a pair of asolo s?

Evolution
03-18-2009, 06:29 PM
I stopped in at River Sportsman in while I was in Campbell River today, they have a pair of asolos there, Ive seen the logo before but Ive never seen their product until today, they looked like some kind of yuppy special. They were bright red and yellow, they didnt look like anything Id be interested in. I did see they had some Meindl boots, they look nice, but for that price I might as well just buy a cattle farm and resign to eating beef.

kennyj
03-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Ive been wearing Schnees Hunter boots for almost 10 years now.I love them and would recommend them to anyone,especially for wet(Island) weather.
The price is right too at around $200 US.
kenny

Onesock
03-18-2009, 07:07 PM
I second the Schnee's. Rubber bottom and leather top. Great hunting boots. Jason, PM me I can give you some info.

Sitkaspruce
03-18-2009, 07:41 PM
has anyone out there ever own a pair of asolo s?

I have an old pair that lasted me 7 years of hiking, working and mountain hunting. Still wear them every once and a while. Great boot and they have quite the following in the backcountry. Mine were brown leather w/goretex and are still water proof today.

IMO, they are not great for the island as they are not high enough. I think a min of 8" for a boot here on the Island, 10 would be optimum. Other than my Schnees hikers (and old Asolo's), all my boots are 10". helps keep the rain and crap out of the boot and allows me to walk across wet areas.

Cheers

SS

redneckdale
03-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Another vote for Viberg. I've had a pair for eight years that I use for work everyday and also hunt in them, still look great and non lined there completly waterproof i can stand in water a 1/4" shaolwer than the boot and not a drip

RustyRipper
03-20-2009, 04:17 PM
I have the Scarpa SL M3 and they have been through a lot but are still goin strong. I love them and for the Island they are perfect; not too much insulation so you don't overheat, waterproof and breathable and durable as hell. I did 17 days of Outward Bound in the Dickson range hiking 8000 ft. mountains and glaciers at about 20 km a day when I was 15. 7 years later and I use them for every hunting trip, cutting firewood and just plain hiking. Still super comfortable and hardly any wear at all. Although if you wanna hunt up north you may want to look elsewhere, I took mine to hunt up in Pink Mountain last season in November and in -30 I felt like my toes were going to fall off. Thinsulate in the boots for next time for sure. But for the Island you can't go wrong with the Scarpas. Oh and I think they were around 250 bucks or somethin, not too bad. http://www.scarpa.com/scarpa.php go to Mountaineering and then SL M3

whitetailsheds
04-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I have been very fortunate to have used these boots for 4 years now.
4 stone sheep trips, chasing elk, and an annual moose camp, and then shed hunting each spring. No problems, no complaints. Just wonder when they will give out.
I use Dubbin on them. The leather is showing no signs of giving in.
I will buy them again.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0005217810074a&navCount=1&podId=0005217810074&parentId=cat601927&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20564-cat601927&catalogCode=UJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601927&hasJS=true

Singleshotneeded
04-08-2009, 09:10 AM
:-) I'm also a Danner fan...I've had the same pair for years and they're very well made...at least they were...waterproof, comfortable, and grippy...

shaner338
04-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I've had a pair of Hanwag's for about 9 years and they have hundreds of miles on them..Still very comfortable and never had a wet foot. When it comes time to replace them, I will be a repeat customer!!!:smile: