PDA

View Full Version : stop bear hunts

olharley guy
03-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Global TV 6 Pm news article on stopping bear hunting in B.C.

Wolfman
03-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Granola alert - yet again.

Jason Melo
03-17-2009, 05:13 PM
That news article was the dumbest &@#* i ever seen!

Johnnybear
03-17-2009, 05:20 PM
http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/bc/video/index.html

Link to "Stop the hunt".

Benthos
03-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Pretty lame article. They provided no rationale, other than 'bears are part of my home and i want to protect my home'

so, the fish, moose, elk, deer, etc, aren't part of one's home in that area? they are harvested??

pretty crappy clip by global

drakfero
03-17-2009, 05:42 PM
does not show anything to me , but there is more bears than squrrels :)

RustyRipper
03-17-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure if it was the same story but the one I saw was on CTV and it was about stopping the bear hunt in the great bear rainforest (central coast), not all of BC. Either way they had some pretty stupid arguments. One of the local native guys even said that bear hunting was bad luck! I don't see that as a very strong argument against the facts of hunting bears. They showed some videos of bears being shot as well and the news anchor said how awful the videos where. The sad thing is majority of people who watch that take it to heart and feel bad for the bears and in turn hate hunters. Man the media pisses me off.

dutchie
03-17-2009, 06:40 PM
I have to say I don't understand the Kermode bear it is a black bear with a resesive white Gene?

So if that is a the case I can understand the black bear... but get off the pot about the Grizz...

Like wolfman said "Granola alert - yet again"

dutchie

Manglinmike
03-17-2009, 06:51 PM
I like the way they try to rationalize with the old "tourism brings in more money", since when did the enviro guys give a crap about money?

bowhunterbruce
03-17-2009, 07:12 PM
so very typical of the media to only show one side of the truth why didnt they say that even though a very small percentage of animals are taken each year from the total number of animals but the average increase in population each year far out weighs those that are taken by hunters.global should be made aware of these facts as well

huntwriter
03-17-2009, 07:54 PM
I wrote a letter to Global TV to let them know that the report is flawed and doesn’t give a real picture of the bear conservation. In the letter I set the record straight about the positive aspect hunting has for the bear and about the money hunting and hunting tourism generates and how that money benefits wildlife conservation. If it where not for hunters eco-tourists could not go on bear watching tours, because there would be no bears.

Maybe if more hunters write emails to Global TV we can get them to see the flaws in the tree hugger propaganda.

Johnnybear
03-17-2009, 07:54 PM
so very typical of the media to only show one side of the truth why didnt they say that even though a very small percentage of animals are taken each year from the total number of animals but the average increase in population each year far out weighs those that are taken by hunters.global should be made aware of these facts as well

Actually the Global correspondent did list some percentage stats at the end of the segment on the 6 oclock show. I thought that was good.

bowhunterbruce
03-17-2009, 07:59 PM
I saw your artical on trophy hunting last night am i am a little upset.not with the fact the animals are being harvested for there trophy’s but because not one word was mentioned as to how much of the money brought into the province accually goes towards the habitat conservation fund ,which further developes and maintains healthy sustainable harvesting of such animals.you also reported on percentages of animals taken each year yet you did not say anything as to what percentage of animals increase in population each and every year and how our bioligest stay on top of every spieces in every region of this province and if people didn’t harvest these animals and there were massive die offs who would get the blame for it.when populations exceed thier food sorce, disease’s and starvation become a factor.british Columbia has one of the most unique topographys rangeing from rain forest to desert and in our beautiful province there are more spieces to hunt here then almost any where else in the world and in fact our province is world renowed for its hunting practices and the availabilities for so many different spieces.i truely belive as do many many others around the globe that bc is not only a leader in its hunting practices but most of the money that is brought into the province goes right back into sustaining and increasing our animal resorces.i know that any form of ecotourism can not say the same thing.as for not seeing the bigger animals as the natives say well the bioigest will be the first to tell you they are big because they are smart so if any (hunting or ecotourism) activity occurs within their neighbourhood the animals will tend to become more nocturnal
Its just sad that journalism seems to always find the bad side of something yet if you guys accually did more research not only would you be providing the public with the bad but in this case the general public would see that british Columbia is doing a bang up job with its hunting and utilizing the money generated from it accually keeps many people employed and our animals are there in more numbers today then ever before.
Yours truely
Bruce thomas
this is the letter i sent to global tv

olharley guy
03-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Howdy, I haven't hunted and shot any bears since I moved to the Island but lately I am starting to feel the urge again and stories like I watched on the news makes my guts turn over!

I hope that Barry Penner sticks to his guns when he said a ban on bear hunting was not in the land use and conservary plan for the central coast and north coast that involved native groups.

There seems to be a pretty healthy bear population in B.C. if the counts are at all semi-accurate. 16,000 grizzlies and 80-100,000 black bears with onlyhunters killing 317 grizzlies-down from 365 in 2007. Take into consideration another few hundred taken by poachers-it is still less than 3% of the grizzly population.

They said hunting brings in $350,000,000 into the province each year. It would be hard to give even half that up with all the reseccion talk.

Maybe instead of showing hunters shooting and killing bears on the news-show them some videos of a big boar killing and eating cubs and a sow. I know that is natural but maybe the greenies may have a little change in attitude?

The only thing that may bring about a change is this Ian Macallister guy, silently talking about boycotting the Olympics! I am not sure what type of an effect this would have on Olympic die hards?

And once again I read on tonight's Global news that a 2009 poll taken said 78% of B.C. residents were against trophy hunting. I really believe these polls are taken on Robson street. Take a poll any where north of Hope and see what the reults would be, average people who live in the smaller towns-normal people. HA!

So all you guys with LEH in those areas better get moving in a hurry before the Olympic people and the natives and Global tv make to much of a fuss.

olharley guy
03-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Good on you Bruce, to bad I couldn't figure out a way that everyone could sign and send that letter! Maybe BCWF could. Later

Salty
03-17-2009, 08:22 PM
there was a piece on CBC radio today on this too - the call in show 'BC Almanac'. Comments are welcomed there as well. ..

see Openline Archive
http://www.cbc.ca/bcalmanac/

Johnnybear
03-17-2009, 08:36 PM
there was a piece on CBC radio today on this too - the call in show 'BC Almanac'. Comments are welcomed there as well. ..

see Openline Archive
http://www.cbc.ca/bcalmanac/

That's Salty. I'm listening to it right now. I didn't get to listen to the whole thing today on the radio.

I just sent off a letter to Global and I'm working one for the government etc.

ve7iuq
03-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Here is a quote: I hope that Barry Penner sticks to his guns when he said a ban on bear hunting was not in the land use and conservary plan for the central coast and north coast that involved native groups.

Actually, ten minutes later it sounded like they had set aside more of the central coast as being a grizzly protected area.

Dirty
03-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Why don't we as hunters take a stab back at anti's and bear huggers. Let's go to the media with real evidence that black bear quotas should be increased in BC and Grizzly allocations should be increased. I think we should start at 5 Black Bears per year. That should really get things going.

Dragginbait
03-17-2009, 10:39 PM
I just read some of the comments by the bear huggers on the Vancouver Sun web site. HOLY SH*T, do these tofu sucking, granola munching, burkinstock wearing morons actually believe the jibberish that comes spewing out of there mouths?
One of the things that pisses my off is the fact that there are talking about stuff that they know nothing about and some govt suit could believe the crap they are spewing because the squeeky wheel gets the grease.
I'm not even going to get into what kind of BS the natives are trying to con the govt into.:eek:
Someones talking about bowcotting the olympics over bear hunting, oh well don't come then, that'll leave more parking for those who do show up.
I see some letters being written to the media and the govt, but I just hope the someone who obviously isn't one sided about these subjects actually gets a chance to read them before the huggers amongst them file them away in the g-file.
We need to come up with some good pro bear hunting bumper stickers and seewhat reaction they get.

ps, my son liked rolling around on the bear skin rug in my avatar

Johnnybear
03-17-2009, 10:49 PM
On the radio edition Ian said that he hunted deer. Truth? or fiction?

The "First Nation" inituative has me wondering what is up.............????(as in what's _ _ _ _ for them)

I know I might get hit hard for the last comment but someone had to say it:???:.

Johnnybear
03-17-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm suprised by the lack of reponse by members of this site to this thread and other threads concerning this matter. This is not about whether or not you agree to hunting bears in the so called Great Bear Rainforest. It is about hunting period. They chip away and get their " wedge " in the door and then split it wide open. This is all about hunting period. Not just trophy hunting but hunting in general period. Wright letters to the stations and your MP's and the government.

Singleshotneeded
03-18-2009, 12:58 AM
:D As Johnnybear said, we should all send a note to our provincial government protesting this one-sided view the media has taken, and
that we hope our government continues to manage our wildlife resources
based on science, not propaganda. I don't hunt bears, but that's irrelevant...all we hunters must stand together or we'll fall separately.

hunter1947
03-18-2009, 03:55 AM
What I understood was that this was targeted to only one area ,it was the great rain bear forest.

If the aunties are targeting all regions in BC lets stir the pot and get the numbers of bears ,grizzlies and blacks and show the public how many bears of both species have increased over the last 10 years.

Tell the news media that we need more bears taken out in order to control the population for both species ,man what a crock..

mcrae
03-18-2009, 06:04 AM
What I understood was that this was targeted to only one area ,it was the great rain bear forest.

If the aunties are targeting all regions in BC lets stir the pot and get the numbers of bears ,grizzlies and blacks and show the public how many bears of both species have increased over the last 10 years.

Tell the news media that we need more bears taken out in order to control the population for both species ,man what a crock..

Once they get their foot in the door with a ban in the great Bear Forest you can bet the rest of the province is next...

I sent an email to the group responsible for the add asking what their intentions are regarding bear hunting in general. I also asked for their views regarding hunting in general...

Antis target species like the Grizzly bear because it stirs emotions in everyone. People that don't hunt see the graphic image of the "poor" bear being gunned down by "evil" hunters. The bears are their priority right now but they are a threat to every hunters way of life with the belief that they need to force their morals and values on other people.

As hunters we tend to have the leave me be and let live approach. I know myself I will attempt to explain hunting to the non hunter. If they don't get it after I have tried I just tell them " its in some of us to hunt" or " its not for everyone"... I don't believe I need to force everyone to my belief in regards to hunting.

Unfortunately in my experience an anti believes everyone has to share their point of view and will do everything in their power to force or convince everyone. They remind me of religious zealots to be honest. We need to make sure we don't sit back and wait for this to blow over because I believe this group fully intends to push hard on this initiative to stop grizzly hunting.

rutting bull
03-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Found this little article aswell. I just cant believe how they are basically threatening about taking this OPINION of thiers, based on no facts what so ever, " across Canada, US and Europe". I guess they need strength in numbers of all the others that just have an opinion and force thier beliefs of anti hunting as well to get anywhere with this. Lets hope not!!!
http://news.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/abc/Local/BC/ContentPosting?isfa=1&feedname=CBC_LOCALNEWS&date=true&newsitemid=vancouver-bc-stop-bear-hunting

huntwriter
03-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Found this little article aswell. I just cant believe how they are basically threatening about taking this OPINION of thiers, based on no facts what so ever, " across Canada, US and Europe". I guess they need strength in numbers of all the others that just have an opinion and force thier beliefs of anti hunting as well to get anywhere with this. Lets hope not!!!
http://news.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/abc/Local/BC/ContentPosting?isfa=1&feedname=CBC_LOCALNEWS&date=true&newsitemid=vancouver-bc-stop-bear-hunting

I like the bit where Kitasoo-Xaixais Chief Percy Starr says that the natives spent years protecting the land and now have to watch trophy hunters come in a shoot the bears.

I am not trying to malign the right of natives but is it not the them that can hunt all year long without any restrictions, shooting by day and night whatever happens to walk in front of their rifle barrels, and when was the last time natives invested time and money into wildlife conservation.

jessbennett
03-18-2009, 08:35 AM
I like the bit where Kitasoo-Xaixais Chief Percy Starr says that the natives spent years protecting the land and now have to watch trophy hunters come in a shoot the bears.

I am not trying to malign the right of natives but is it not the them that can hunt all year long without any restrictions, shooting by day and night whatever happens to walk in front of their rifle barrels, and when was the last time natives invested time and money into wildlife conservation.

amen.......

bowhunterbruce
03-18-2009, 08:35 AM
what if the province took grizzly's off of the trophy catagory by makeing us remove all the edible portions of the animal,then it would become a substance animal and none of the so called tree huggers would have any point to thier concern.
bear meat is one of the best meat out there and although i have yet to try grizzly meat i'm sure that if the hams and bacon were smoked and the rest turned into some form of peperoni or sauage then the fear of tricanosis is removed.i have all my black bears done this way and those that have never tried blackys are easily converted once they have had some.by smoking the meat its cured so the internal tempature of the hams and bacon reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees f and if one was to get any hamberger made then you just need to always cook the meat all the way through.
anyways just another angle

longleader
03-18-2009, 08:36 AM
I watched the Global news last night as well, and was completely disgusted with the news article and the obvious bias of the reporter and anchor (no surprise there) as well. Certainly not objective, but then the mass media does seem to tend to adopt a narrow view and side with what they perceive the current popular opinion to be. I fear the antis may have scored big time on this one.

Who created the “great bear rainforest” designation in the first place? Every time I hear the likes of “great bear rainforest”, “spirit bear”, etc., etc., I can’t help feeling somewhat nauseated. Reality hath departed….

It might be a good idea if someone could post links to the appropriate sites at Global, the Province of BC (MOE), and any other relevant groups, so more of us will pass along our views. Sometimes trying to find out where to send the letters can be a deterrent.

Don’t feel lulled for a moment that this has to do only with grizzly hunting and the “great bear rainforest”. Bit by bit we are being chipped away at. It is nothing new; my parents were having to deal with the anti trapping zealots 40 years ago, not to mention any names. Those old enough and connected at that time will remember.

We can’t afford to let this sort of garbage continue without putting up a decent fight..

bowhunterbruce
03-18-2009, 08:43 AM
longleader here is global tv e-mail address
globalnews.bc@globaltv.com
have fun expressing your opinion i did and it felt good

longleader
03-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Thank you bhb. I will.

kishman
03-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Why don't we as hunters take a stab back at anti's and bear huggers. Let's go to the media with real evidence that black bear quotas should be increased in BC and Grizzly allocations should be increased. I think we should start at 5 Black Bears per year. That should really get things going.

Isn't that what organizations like BCWF are supposed to be doing? I'm pretty new to hunting and even newer to the politics of it all. But so far, it's been my assumtion that the various large hunting/conservation sociaties around BC spoke out against these types of deals.:confused:

-km

Greenhead
03-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Wow, only cost me $50 bucks to kill a grizzly! Me and the kids better take some cans and bottle back to the recycle depot and start planning a bear hunt, didn't realize was that easy and cheap!!!?????????
Love how they list off the stats on harvests and never show the black bear numbers, or show any stats on populations numbers for bears. Are bear numbers down or up?

03-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Only 1000 bucks for a non resident. Excellent, biased reporting

mainland hunter
03-18-2009, 09:31 AM
One thing is to get out and vote in this next election provincially, the timing of this is just prior to an election where the party who wins will lead the province through the olympic spotlight. this is where the real pressure will start and you can be damn sure that if the NDP gets in they will cave because that's what they do. They've done it before and will again. I dont particularily care for alot of what the current party does but it is far far better than what the NDP will do.