PDA

View Full Version : Packing out a Grizz

Beardy
03-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Hey Everyone!
Here's another interesting question. Planning my spring hunt and it will require quite a hike in, some of it through an old growth forest before reaching a valley to glass from (I anticipate close to a 10km hike in). We are two guys and will pack enough gear to survive for 10 days out there. In the eventuality that I successfully harvest a MONSTER grizz ;-) , what have some of you done in the past to pack it out? I understand that the hide can weigh as much as 150lbs on a nice spring bear, plus, I'd like to take some meat. Is there an easy system some of you can recommend? If the plan will include two trips, because two grown men can't do the trip in one mega-load, I guess I should bring the hide first so scavengers, other bears, yotes or wolves won't get to it right? In that case, would any of you recommend salting the hide while it waits for us to get back to our truck with the rest of the gear? Or do you think that it'll be ok unsalted for 24-48 hours. I assume probably not....

Any advice is really aprpeciated! Thanks for your time
B

srupp
03-16-2009, 01:18 PM
rule of thumb is you cant salt too much or too early...:smile:

do a carefull job skinning as you can eliminate 25-75 pounds of unnessisary tissue -fat ..:shock: use a GOOD pack frame..hydrate lots..

and GOOD LUCK

steven

Krico
03-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Leave the meat for the coyotes and birds.

Salting won't harm anything. Not salting could. I would try to bring at least 5 lbs of salt up the mountain with you, preferably more. If you don't get a bear just dump the salt out before heading down.

Good luck.

boxhitch
03-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Salting within 24 hrs is a good rule of thumb
If you shoot it in the Evening, caping the next morning , packing to the truck and then salting should be OK.
Cut off the favorite cuts of meat, and move them away from the carcass, to be picked up later.

GoatGuy
03-16-2009, 01:51 PM
If you cut the hide in half it would surely lighten the load. :lol:

silvicon
03-16-2009, 02:13 PM
stay home and not make a mess of this hunt,
wound a big bear (possible a sow with cubs)
and have SAR have to get you out (at taxpayer expenses).

Dannybuoy
03-16-2009, 02:17 PM
How about using one of those sasquatch dollies or something similar ?
If there was any kind of trail at all ...

338 winmag
03-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Read some where your not suppose to freeze and salt ? not sure the truth to that but if im lucky enough to get one i think i will skip the salting and head to the freezer with the hide asap and leave the gear in the bush for pick up later on.Then again im counting hours not days from where i need to bring the hide to.

kootenayelkslayer
03-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Read some where your not suppose to freeze and salt ? not sure the truth to that but if im lucky enough to get one i think i will skip the salting and head to the freezer with the hide asap and leave the gear in the bush for pick up later on.Then again im counting hours not days from where i need to bring the hide to.

It's true. Salting and freezing is a no-no. If you're not familiar with doing the technical caping, like the ears, lips, eyes, and paws (and even the neck sometimes), then it's probably best to get the hide to a freezer asap, and then to your taxidermist.
Not sure if this applies to this thread, but always remember not to put any salt on anything that isn't 100% ready for the taxidermist.

wildman 22
03-16-2009, 05:28 PM
my taxidermist told me a story of a fellow that shot a nice grizz on a hike in hunt.he shot the grizz in the morning ,skinned it out and put it in a garbage bag ,then into his back pack.he had a lengthy walk out and by the time he got back to his truck ,some of the hair was already slipping.best to bring salt, try to cool down hide before packing(lay the hide on snowbank if possible)and use a burlap sack rather than a garbagebag.

Blainer
03-16-2009, 05:50 PM
my taxidermist told me a story of a fellow that shot a nice grizz on a hike in hunt.he shot the grizz in the morning ,skinned it out and put it in a garbage bag ,then into his back pack.he had a lengthy walk out and by the time he got back to his truck ,some of the hair was already slipping.best to bring salt, try to cool down hide before packing(lay the hide on snowbank if possible)and use a burlap sack rather than a garbagebag.Definately,do not fold the hide up while still warm and plastic bag will only helps to retain heat and cause sweating.

srupp
03-16-2009, 05:50 PM
plastic is a no no I import BIG burlap sacks from Alberta to bring out bear hides..and one SHOULD learn how to do up noses, lips, eyes, ears,those are the places IF the hair SLIPS will make a TERRIFIC animal look "funny" :roll:

cheers

Steven

ElectricDyck
03-16-2009, 08:27 PM
So what does a very well skinned out (including head and paws), average size grizzly hide weigh approximately?

Camp Cook
03-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Skin it and throw the hide into some snow if there is any left in the area your hunting this will cool it off faster than anything else...

Get the smallest grained salt that you can find and you will need far more than you ever dreamt my bear took 20 lbs to cover it all.